Author Topic: Rusty VIN tag ?  (Read 1112 times)

JDMopar

• Active Forum Member
Rusty VIN tag ?
« on: December 12, 2022, 11:08:57 AM »
 I was reading another thread here http://www.transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=83594.0 and saw the pic of the rusty VIN tag in that thread. If you have one like that, which is practically gone, can you get a replacement? Mine is a little rusty, but not as bad as the one in the pic. Flat tags like I'm used to on the old Mopars I've always fooled with can be reproduced, but a tag such as one on an F body, that is bent 3 or 4 directions would be hard to do. Just curious if one could be made if needed.

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
Re: Rusty VIN tag ?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 02:39:19 PM »
I think it's possible to duplicate one.  The GM ones had a little bit of shape to them, but not much.  I have not seen an example of somebody forming them for sale, and I don't know if anybody does.
 You can get flat ones made new all day long.  The rivets are also available on cars where they used a special rivet.  It's not legal to install one, as I'm sure you know.  That said, all 50 states evidently have a process for VIN replacement which would cause you, I think, to have an assigned VIN.  Nobody wants that, but it is available.  Just looking at the form here in my state, the state offers a replacement VIN plate where it appears the VIN would be original.

Coincidentally, I knew a guy who built a 1969 Camaro almost entirely out of new individual panels (they're really cheap for that car) and it didn't have one on it.  I told him he ought be at least mildly concerned about somebody stealing it.  He has since sold it.  I wonder what the buyer thought about it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 06:51:01 PM by firebirdparts »
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 04:02:17 PM »
And then there was the case where someone restored a vintage 'vette and removed and re-installed the vin tag. It was flagged and confiscated by the state police and ordered to be destroyed. There was a long court battle, the owner was able to get the car back after all.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Maxthe222

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 06:37:35 PM »
They reproduce the data/cowl tags pretty reasonably. The VIN tags however, I'm not sure. Someone has to be out there reproducing them. There's not much to it, just getting the pressings and the font correct. If cowl tags are being repro'd perfectly, the VINs can't be too hard either. I don't know about the legal ramifications, and I don't see it as much of a grey area, there's a legal issue or there isn't. The car hasn't been re-bodied, it is just a part that is damaged. The VIN tags are commonly removed during restorations for cars that are being sandblasted/stripped as they can be damaged during this process, and the rivets aren't anything special either. If you order a new VIN plate off someone, go into a dark shed, destroy the old one and put he new one on, no police officer or court is going to be able to recognize they have been replaced by simply looking through the windscreen of the car when it's reassembled.
1987 T/A GTA L98
1979 T/A Y84 WS6
1979 F/A W72 WS6
1978 T/A L80 WS6
1978 Formula L80 W50
1971 Formula 400 4-Speed

xtrme_ta

• Oracle Forum Member
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/Xtrmes10
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 04:27:58 PM »
It's a federal law to tamper with a vin tag. Legally they can not be reproduced by anyone. That's why no one reproduces them.
You can go through proper channels in your state. You would have to take your car to the state and they would verify the original vin off of one of the many hidden in the car.
They would then attach a new vin tag with the original vin number.
There might be some states that do it a bit different.
Just an FYI my brother went to jail for two years for tampering with a vin tag.
76 50th Anniversary Edition  Pro Street Trans Am 454 w/ 8.71 Blower, TH400 Full manual w/ reverse valve body. S&W race Cars Super car rear with Strange center section with 4:56 Gears.

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 04:27:58 PM »

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2023, 08:03:40 PM »
I was about to say similar. If anyone did do it and you had all information and story to back it up, they would likely issue a replacement with it's own number that was clear to anyone that it was not an original and had been replaced legally. I think many people would be steering clear of it even if it all checks out.

JDMopar

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2023, 10:43:08 AM »
 Yeah....I'm not about to remove mine. I'm too dang old to go to jail, lol. It may end up with a few pits in it that I can fix after I lightly glass bead it when the windshield comes out, and none of those will be on any of the numbers. I'll just etch it, All Metal it, and sand it with a Dremel and paint it. I also suspect that going to Google and typing in "repro VIN tag" would be about as bad as typing in "How to build an IED". :shock: In about 2 minutes.....the black Suburbans would roll up and you'd be headed to the big house!

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2023, 08:17:27 AM »
Def a no no to mess with the vin tag. Even removing and re installing is a bad idea. Some of them do have specific rivets and the guys (law enforcement) that matter do know what they are looking at.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter