TAC Tech > Interior

Door Panel clean up

<< < (2/4) > >>

Warren Seale:
I tried to use the silver mylar tape that most closely matches the original silver piping trim but it wasn't flexible enough to make the turns.  The next best thing is using silver pin striping, like what is intended for exterior use.  This stuff can be stretched to make the turns without buckling.  However, it won't match the chrome like silver that was originally there.  I've had this on the door panels without issue for over 30 years.

81Blackbird:
It's hard to get the corners to lay down with pinstriping as mentioned.  I solved the problem by using a sheet of chorme.  Lay the sheet over the corner an trace it out on the
sheet.  Then trim along the traced lines.  You'll have to piece the rest with striping once your on the straight parts.

N PRGRES:
Got some repair work done to the plastic this weekend.  Used a resin and embedded fiberglass matting into it.  I wanted to try the resin but fiberglass would have been just as good IMO.  I alaso repaired around the holes for the plastic clips holding the panels on.

FormTA:
Was it already saturated in a pouch or something?

N PRGRES:

--- Quote from: FormTA on March 27, 2024, 03:26:29 AM ---Was it already saturated in a pouch or something?

--- End quote ---
No, I bought the resin off amazon and mixed it, and brushed it onto the plastic.  then just laid the matting in and added more resim overtop and brushed it in till it was saturated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version