TAC Tech > Interior

Door Panel clean up

(1/4) > >>

N PRGRES:
While I would love to be able to get brand new panels, they aren't in the budget this year and my OEM ones are actually in good shape other than some items that need corrected.

Not sure what the plastic part at the top is called but its bracked (see photo).  I am thinking of just glassing it but how do I go about getting it attached back to the board.  Was it just glued and if not, can I just glue it, or even glass it to the board?

Second is the "chrome" trip piece on the front side (also photo attached).  Any thoughts on how to get it chrome again?

FormTA:
I thought the plastic part was glued and stapled to the board but maybe just glued. I used a screwdriver that I heated with a torch and melted stainless wire I bent into a zigzag shape and I also used stainless screening I pulled from a new kitchen strainer. I cut it up into strips and heated the screwdriver with the torch and pushed the screen into the plastic on both sides. Then sanded it smooth and reglued the fabric down. I think mine was in like 8 pieces. Seemed to hold up so far.

roadking77:
I like Lukes idea to fix the plastic half round. As for the chrome, I did exactly what Walli said. I bought some chrome foil in a package from a model supply house. No idea where it came from at this point. Probably something I found on the net. I was trying to save money and re-do the panels for my TATA. The chrome piping was a bit of a pain in the *&^&*^*&. Results were marginal at best. I did the piping and tried to trim the loose strings from the embroidered bird and the carpet didnt looks so good so I scrapped the idea and bought new. Without the fancy stuff I would imagine the panels can be cleaned and dyed (if necessary) to look pretty good.

N PRGRES:

--- Quote from: FormTA on March 11, 2024, 07:57:13 AM ---I thought the plastic part was glued and stapled to the board but maybe just glued. I used a screwdriver that I heated with a torch and melted stainless wire I bent into a zigzag shape and I also used stainless screening I pulled from a new kitchen strainer. I cut it up into strips and heated the screwdriver with the torch and pushed the screen into the plastic on both sides. Then sanded it smooth and reglued the fabric down. I think mine was in like 8 pieces. Seemed to hold up so far.

--- End quote ---

I think its supposed to be glued and stapled but the staples have pulled through and the glue is long gone.  I think I can reglue it without too many issues.  I like your idea on the plastic.  I will give it a shot but probably also add some resin over it for added strength. 

FormTA:
Let is know how it goes.  It's been a while since I did mine and I will have to do it again for my formula as I bought un assembled panels from Legendary and they don't come with thw plastic panel.  I'll have to fix my originals or make them from sheet metal like legendary does for their assembled panels. I tried to buy the metal ones from them but they wouldn't sell them to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version