Author Topic: Best reproduction 70-78 flares  (Read 187 times)

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
Best reproduction 70-78 flares
« on: April 08, 2024, 07:41:15 AM »
Who makes the best fitting repro wheel flares for 70-78? I see Firebird Central has some that at least look like the factory versions. Unfortunately I had my rears off to be repainted and allgegedly the young help may have discarded them by mistake. The shop owner is going to replace them but I know there used to be fitment issues with some and I don’t recall which ones anymore.

Also, a side note, I searched the forum for this info and in doing so I realized there was another thread form a few years ago about paint protection film so sorry for starting up another. The first would’ve probably answered my questions.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Best reproduction 70-78 flares
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2024, 07:59:12 AM »
Since FC is only a supplier, need to find out what brand they are. Maybe it says in the ad. Matt at FC has generally been good with extra info.

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2024, 08:29:30 AM »
I do want to do that but unfortunately when I tried this morning, something seems to be wrong with their phone. It doesn’t let me make a numerical selection and hangs up on me before the message is completed. I’ll have to try later I guess.
-Brian-

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2024, 11:21:51 AM »
Well, good news, they found my flares. For conversations sake though I did reach out to FBC and am awaiting a response.
-Brian-

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2024, 04:42:54 PM »
Thank goodness they found them!
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2024, 04:42:54 PM »

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2024, 07:03:43 PM »
Yea, he was pretty humble about it. He painted the car like 10 years ago and I’ve used him for several things since. He offered to replace them and paint them no questions asked but I’m just as happy to have had him find mine.
-Brian-

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2024, 12:33:05 AM »
Might have had a disco night, needed the flares to wear.

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2024, 04:35:01 PM »
Well my flare fiasco continues though not in the same way as this thread started. I’ve yet to pick up the rears after they were relocated at the paint shop. I did notice my front left, however, didn’t look right. That one doesn’t fit close to the body like the rest. To try to make a long story short when I bought the car, somebody had bonded over the holes where the flares mount. They also partially filled in the curvature of the fender in that area that the flare conforms too. When I had the car repainted I told the guy I wanted those holes opened up again, which he did, but he didn’t remove the bond which I’m not necessarily upset about as I don’t think he would’ve known that it needed to be removed but either way the flare on that side just doesn’t conform correctly now.

Fast forward to a few days ago and I can see inside the flare and it looks like the are where the j nut sits is cracked so I pull it off. Side note, I bought these as damaged units a long time ago. I forget why and why but I traded a guy some parts and he fixed the flares and they came out pretty well except I just now realized he built up some epoxy on top of painters tape where the j nut goes and that finally let loose.

So in the meantime I don’t want to be flare-less and decided to try to fit an aftermarket set I have which are a bit of a mystery. They were with the car when I bought it and although they’re 70-78 style, they’re flexible like the 79-81s and they have no inner structure. In fact, they don’t have any screw holes anywhere. So last night I decided to try to mount one to see how it fit. The flexibility of this one allows it to conform to the body, not perfectly, but much better than the originals. Problem is I accidentally pulled off the welting in a spot which chipped the paint and I admittedly did a crappy job of trying to touch it up.

So now, I think I I’ll try to flexible one. I’m going to try to epoxy a piece of metal to repair the bad spot on the “original” but I’m debating on trying to find a used or try a new flare to kind of start over. Either way I’ll likely have to have one painted which I’m not thrilled about but it is what it is I guess. Some pics below. Also, kinda wishing my car was a formula right now lol.

My original

Untitled by Brian Hill, on Flickr

Inside of the original

The part that pulled through.

This is one of the flexible ones along with the poor touch up

And the empty inside

By the way, excuse my messy workbench please

I posted for discussion, especially the flexible flares as I’ve never seen them anywhere else, and in case anyone has a spare front left and/or any better ideas.

-Brian-

sreta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2024, 04:44:28 PM »
Messy workbench?! Wanna see mine ? 😀

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2024, 11:58:20 AM »
Lol. Ok point taken.

Be been messing with one of the flexible flares and although I buggered up drilling two holes and had to re-drill them, the screw covers them so it’ll do for now. I was pleasantly surprised I got them to attach so solidly. I made a quick crappy bracket that goes between the chin spoiler and flare as mine were missing and then the flare is screwed to the fender lip like factory. The fit isn’t perfect but it’s actually much better than the factory flare I had on there. The only “bad” fit is where the welting pulls away at the top but that’s not from the shape of the flare it’s due to the position of the welting by whoever put it on. I may actually keep this one on for a while till I decide what I want to do as a more permanent solution.

-Brian-

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2024, 12:09:00 PM »
Nice job! They look good.  Come over and put mine on... Oh, I have to paint them first...
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2024, 07:24:12 PM »
Thanks! It’ll work at least. As I mentioned in the Today I…thread, I got my rear flares back. Upon further examination, both had new cracks in them. Truth be told they may have been cracked when I removed them, I don’t know. I’m not overly concerned about them especially since I only use the large studs through the quarter panel and none of the other hardware, although I suppose I should. In any case the cracks won’t be seen and just to ensure they don’t crack further I melted in a little wire to help hold it together. I’m sure some epoxy wouldn’t hurt but I’m not going to worry that much. Only one pic is kind of a “before” pic. I’d already melted in one piece and was working on the second.
-Brian-

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2024, 07:24:12 PM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!