TAC Tech > Exterior

Rear windown removal/install

(1/4) > >>

N PRGRES:
Looking to remove my rear window and reseal it.  There is a good sized gap between the exterior window trim and the window itself.  I am not sold it's installed correctly.  How easy/hard is this to accomplish?

FormTA:
I removed and installed quite a few windshields and rear windows.  I am just a backyard mechanic but I do have some good tools. Using windshield wire and an oscillating tool with a homemade blade I can get them out without breaking them. With two people and the interior panels and trim removed you can do it with just the wire but it is fairly difficult and you need to tape up the painted areas and he careful not to scratch it. Now I would highly recommend getting a battery or air powered caulk gun to dispense the urethane, this stuff is tough and there is no way I'd be able to lay a perfect "V" bead without one. I went and bought a Milwaukee m12 unit. Works great. Things to check.  How high you want the glass to sit, you need to know where the ideal spot is so the trim fits. Also replace any missing pins and or clips. Check that the clips you have actually fit the trim. Also order fresh 3m window primer and 3m window urethane. I can tell you that for a one time deal you'd be better off paying someone to remove and install it but you can do it yourself... it's tough but can be done.

N PRGRES:

--- Quote from: FormTA on March 28, 2024, 10:06:25 AM ---I removed and installed quite a few windshields and rear windows.  I am just a backyard mechanic but I do have some good tools. Using windshield wire and an oscillating tool with a homemade blade I can get them out without breaking them. With two people and the interior panels and trim removed you can do it with just the wire but it is fairly difficult and you need to tape up the painted areas and he careful not to scratch it. Now I would highly recommend getting a battery or air powered caulk gun to dispense the urethane, this stuff is tough and there is no way I'd be able to lay a perfect "V" bead without one. I went and bought a Milwaukee m12 unit. Works great. Things to check.  How high you want the glass to sit, you need to know where the ideal spot is so the trim fits. Also replace any missing pins and or clips. Check that the clips you have actually fit the trim. Also order fresh 3m window primer and 3m window urethane. I can tell you that for a one time deal you'd be better off paying someone to remove and install it but you can do it yourself... it's tough but can be done.

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the insight.  I think I'll let the pros handle this one

roadking77:
Luke is correct on all accounts. Removing the back window is not that tough. Running a piece of wire around the perimeter cuts the seal. I did it with one guy on the inside and one guy on the outside. Wrap the wire around a piece of wood for a handle and once you get the rhythm going its pretty easy. I have found the windshield being safety glass is a different beast. I have removed a few back windows with no problem, I have broken every windshield I have tried to take out. I watched the guy doing my glass installs pretty close. A battery caulk gun is def needed. When he set the glass in my tata he had the bead put down in a minute or two dropped the glass into place and it was a done deal. I think he charged $80 or something. IMO well worth the cost.

FormTA:
It also makes the trim fit like doo doo.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version