TAC Central > Lobby

Highway cruising

(1/4) > >>

N PRGRES:
When I am tooling down the interstate at 70 mph my engine is running about 3000 rpm give or take.  Tires 245/60/15 and 3.10 rear gears.  I want to take a trip with the car thats 2 hours each way and that high of RPM unnerves me a bit.  What do your engines run at highway speeds?

rkellerjr:
Before I switch to the 200r4 I had a TH350 and my rear end is a 3.23. At highway speeds I was running about 3000 and 3500. I've taken many trips with that setup and the motor was fine. And I'm talking 7 hour one way trips and back. Car never skipped a bit.

kentucky yeti:
3000 won't hurt anything.   That's pretty common rev's.

roadking77:
I have 2.70 (I think, 2 something anyway) gears. My cars sweet spot is about 60 mph. Low rpms, quiet and purrs down the road. All of the sudden it hit me one day 'Hey, when this car was made the speed limit was 55! duh, I guess they knew what they were doing'!! My first long drive was about 2 1/2 hrs away. I was planning on back roads as I was leary of getting on the highway. There was one stretch that I had no choice. The ironic part was the car ran better at 65 mph on the highway than it did putting along on back roads. I dont plan on any long distance road trips soon but the highway doesnt scare me at all now. These beasts were made to get out and run :grin: I think you will be fine.

N PRGRES:
Thanks, I have run it down the highway for about 30 minutes at those speeds and was actually very happy with how well it did, other than the steering gear being worn.  but yeah, in 81, I can't drive 55 was the motto lol. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version