Author Topic: Fuel and brake line clamps  (Read 277 times)

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Fuel and brake line clamps
« on: March 21, 2024, 05:58:45 AM »
Has anyone ever checked or cataloged the original colours of their fuel and brake line clamps? 20+ years ago I had mine all off and nicely painted silver, now I have them off again as getting a batch of replating done. After cleaning and paintstripping, I've recorded that so far every one of them was silver zinc plated, and then some, depending on the size, were coated black or an orange.

I've seen references to blue, and possibly a pic or two of original vehicles that look blue, but so far none of mine have been. And the coating is a type of anodising also. The black is still very clear while the orange is more of a tint and not an old gold, neither of which came off with the paint stripper. But all will come off when I treat the metal prior to plating.

I only have a few left in the engine bay still to check, a couple I have swapped positions with due to running extra brake line across the crossmember instead of fuel only, most can only go certain locations anyway due to the pipe amount, pipe sizes, then the addition of armour sprial sleeve on one or both. Or all 3, as I think one or two locations have.

Of course, none of this type seems to match the reproduction early versions being offered, they look cheaper, thinner and probably don't have stamped sizes either.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 06:00:23 AM by Wallington »

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
Re: Fuel and brake line clamps
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2024, 12:28:38 PM »
I have a car with 45,000 miles on it that might have some identifiable color, but I'll just have to try to remember to look the next time it's on the lift.  It's hard to get to it where it normally hibernates.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2024, 12:50:46 AM »
All good, now fully replated and recoloured where required. I won't bore with pics or which ones are colour-coded.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2024, 04:40:37 AM »
Just now seeing this thread, there was hints of blue paint on the ones I took off of my 79 Tenth.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2024, 05:26:11 AM »
Freshly plated originals, a few yet to add further colours to.

Firebird replated fuel and brake line clamps (5) by Ben, on Flickr

Firebird replated fuel and brake line clamps (1) by Ben, on Flickr

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2024, 05:26:11 AM »

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2024, 07:22:51 PM »
Just now seeing this thread, there was hints of blue paint on the ones I took off of my 79 Tenth.

Thanks Kerry. I had cleaned these all up with a wire brush on a drill 20 years ago before painting the lot silver. So many finer details or surface plating was lost. But after stripping the paint off recently any that were different colours were still tinted or had patches visible.

One thing clear was that regardless, all were plated silver first. I had a few of the same type that had a strong orange tint, mainly inside where protected. While it seemed a little brighter than old gold plating that's what I did to them anyway. And I had a few others that were black. None were obviously blue but the reproduction types and even one of the Assembly manuals does reference a blue. Blue over black or blue over silver plating, not sure. I've found a few photos of other vehicle at same time that showed black clips. There were also several variations in sizes in my lot so may have been more long worn away.

I took photos of every clamp before, during and after, locations and details of each so they go back in the same spot. Obsessive, yes. Here's one after paint stripping that shows the black, inside and out, also the bare metal vs the brighter and lighter plating. Any that were black were all the same type and size.

Firebird RH Rear fuel brake line clips removed R-F 1st not removed Black 2 (3) by Ben, on Flickr

I have a few saved pics of original or low-mileage cars but few show anything clearly. This one is 79 Formula W72, and clearly shows the same type of black clip but wearing around the edges.

79 400 Formula original low miles (4) diff exhaust brakes by Ben, on Flickr

Some of the reproduction clips in blue, originally aimed at 68-72 era vehicles, are almost how we know blue anodising as, clear over silver plating. I found a few repro sets that do theirs as a flat paint/teflon coating. Possibly the same brand, it appears they do the smallest, single line clamp as blue. I'll have to check my pics and the diagram that mentioned it.

https://www.inlinetube.com/products/ccb208

https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server2400/nqdzgu/products/982/images/1055/%252521Bn51mQw%252521mk~%252524%252528KGrHqMOKi8EtlYz2MYIBLlWj16Pg~~_1_884_1__61199.1353280169.380.380.JPG?c=2

I'm not sure what to make of this one, lousy pic of a low-mileage 79 Formula. Appears to be more of an inspection dab of sky blue paint,  over clip and bolt, even the leafspring cradle bolt. But a very different blue if you were seeing remains like that.

79 400 W72 unrestored fuel lines evap and return by Ben, on Flickr

Same again for a few that showed hints of a dark orange plating, mainly inside. Far more obvious than the plain type and lost somewhat with the flash. They showed up coppery from different angles. The light grey here under it is the silver plating, bare metal around edges where I've scratched off. There were 3 of this type. Prior to being sent I'd soaked them in chemicals to take right down to bare metal even though the plating guy does also.

Firebird centre fuel line clips orange gold (3) by Ben, on Flickr

Here's a pic of an original 'museum' 78. The clamp appears to be a dull and faded gold plating. I'll have to check if that's also where one of mine was.

1978 TA unrestored brake fuel lines2 by Ben, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 07:56:43 PM by Wallington »

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2024, 09:47:41 PM »
As much as I liked all the fresh and clean plating, I decided to paint a few anyway or I'd have nothing at all to do. Perhaps install the silly things? These were also baked in the oven, the blue only half as didn't want them going green.

These 3/8" fuel return lines were blue. Mine couldn't be seen by now but it adds some colour. Glossy isn't accurate, don't care.

Firebird GM 3-8 fuel return clamp plated and painted Teal Blue (2) by Ben, on Flickr

There's 4 of these 3/8" + 1/4" black clamps on the RH side.

Firebird fuel brake line clamps plated and painted 3-8 3-8 + 1-4 (2) by Ben, on Flickr

And a pretty selection of the clamp finishes.

Firebird brake fuel line clamps painted and plated (1) by Ben, on Flickr

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2024, 03:47:25 AM »
Anyone able to stick their head under their car to check something for me?

After reinstalling all the brake/fuel line clamps I still have the very first clamp missing on the LH side. I knew it was missing, it was a project for another day going on years. The problem is that there's a clamp location on the chassis rail opposite but my fuel/brake line is already running down under the side sill and doesn't appear to have been bent straight, or I've done a good job straightening it 20 years ago. It has been modified but I can't see where or how it originally went and needs a forward clamp in place. In this pic the lines actually bend down to go under the front wheelhouse, and is hanging down. It is a long way from the chassis rail.

Firebird LH centre missing fuel clamp location  (1) by Ben, on Flickr

Edit....

Ok seems I have several saved pics showing this area on other Firebirds. Seems the fuel/brake line runs right between both side sill and chassis rail in a weird setup that sees the clamp attached to the floor pan. It attaches right in the centre of where the lines bend across and back.

Can someone take a pic of this point, is it a small bracket welded to the floor pack that the clamp bolts to? As shown in my pic above, not there. I'll have to have a closer look if removed, wasn't looking there at all. I'll have to make something now I know roughly how it sat. Brackets circled in red on sample pics.

Another trivial detail, the drain holes with plugs on the 79's below, where on my 78 is still a pressed shape only.

79 TATA 403 low miles original suspension diff valve cover label (3) 1 by Ben, on Flickr

79 Formula 403 dual exhaust brake lines chassis 1 by Ben, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 04:26:10 AM by Wallington »

wheels78ta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2024, 04:01:07 PM »
Here is the underside of mine.

And mine has drain plugs like the 79's.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 05:22:14 PM by wheels78ta »
Willie

1978 Gold Y88 4 spd W72 WS6 project
1987 K5 Blazer---The Crawler
2006 Chevy Silverado Z71----Hers
2005 Chevy Suburban 2500---The Hauler

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2024, 07:48:40 PM »
Excellent, thank you! Appreciate the pics and removal of lines to see clearly. Now to think of someway to recreate similar, and attach it.

Now I'm wondering if my front floor panels were actually replaced prior in the 90's but at the time the pressings were closed up, and that bracket wasn't part of them, or replaced from old. I was just looking at pics inside and underneath, all stripped back and primed and now under dynamat and no signs of obvious seams or welds, unlike the toepanel...

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2024, 07:48:40 PM »
You can help support TAC!