Author Topic: Finally some interior upgrades  (Read 417 times)

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
Finally some interior upgrades
« on: March 17, 2024, 08:17:18 AM »
First off the list for upgrade is gauges. I have gone back and forth many times on these over the years between, having the stock ones redone, Dakota Digital, and Speedhut.  I pulled the trigger on the Speedhut gauges. There are a few different reasons.

The biggest hurdle was finding a place to redo the stock ones. Finding a resto shop for pre 1980 is easy but after that it’s more difficult. Yes, I could swap to a pre 80 gauge pack, but if I am doing that, why not just go for a more reliable aftermarket set? 

Second, I want cruise control back as I plan to eventually take the car on day trips. Aftermarket cruise sets rely on a VSS input, and the stock setup doesn’t allow for this. Speed hit does make a box to convert the signal but again, it seems like extra effort.

Third, I really dislike Dakota digital gauges. The font looks off to me. The rpm gauge works different and the clock is ugly. Am I being petty, probably, but since I have to look at them, I’ll get something I like.  Plus the DD cost is a bit over the top for my budget.

So that leads me to the Speedhuts. They aren’t 100% perfect but in my opinion, at least on looks, they are a fairly close match. Yes I’ll miss the clock, and my oil pressure and temp gauge will be on the sides of the gauge as opposed to the bottom, but these are things I can live with. 

The dual gauge will require some modifications to fit but Randy Combs will be handling that when he does the instrument panel.  The gauges are a 4” classic style. Black with white letters and the “antique” backlight option just to make it a bit easier on my eyes.
Dave

81 Trans Am

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Finally some interior upgrades
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2024, 10:53:33 AM »
I have a 1980 with the 85MPH speedometer. Wouldn't mind something that goes a little higher and gages that read more accurately but I am hung up on keeping the original look. But I would still love to see how your gage upgrade turns out when you are finished! 
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2024, 06:26:14 PM »
I wouldn’t hesitate going for the Speedhut gauges either.  I installed 3 of them in my console.  I wish I’d also used them for my main gauges.  The lighting is so much better in them than the stock ones- it’s no comparison.

I replaced my broken speedometer with one of the Classic Industries repop ones just to still have the clock.  The clock adjustment needle is super brittle and I’m always nervous adjusting it.  I could’ve lived without the clock.

Totally agree with your assessment of Dakota vs Speedhut as well.  You can customize the Speedhut ones so they still look a bit retro.  Dakota reminded me a bit of the 1980s digital dashes but maybe they’ve improved recently.
Darryl

'77 black TA Hardtop LS3 / 4L70E swap
Build thread:
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61066

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2024, 08:09:07 AM »
Some activity other than my others posts on here.  Speedhut Gauges arrive today, very excited about these.  They "resemble" the stock gauges as far as marking as such but they look a little different.

Taking the glass to the tint shop tomorrow.  I'll take the drivers side window and a spare rear window I have.  Once they are done, they are ready to reinstall.  I'll do the passenger side in a few weeks.  Rear will be limo tint and fronts will be 20%.

This isn't "interior" but I will also be swapping out the chrome door locks and handles to black.  I always thought these looked weird since there is very little chrome on car.  I'll post photos as I get them
Dave

81 Trans Am

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 09:34:18 AM »
Can't wait to see how the dash comes out. Ya. I want to tint my windows as well. That rear glass is a doosy. I can barely get the lower trim screws in let alone apply tint with it installed.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 09:34:18 AM »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2024, 02:11:44 PM »
I think the tint guys have some new tricks, but the back window of my 77 was tinted when I got the car. Being from Fla I can understand why. They put the tint on in long thin strips from side to side on the window. It was peeling and dried up when I got it. Really a mess. Rather than trying to clean I just put in a new back window.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2024, 05:47:45 PM »
Can't wait to see how the dash comes out. Ya. I want to tint my windows as well. That rear glass is a doosy. I can barely get the lower trim screws in let alone apply tint with it installed.
here is the trial fit. The center gauge is large and the panel will need trimmed. That will be done when the panel is sent out for refinishing.
Dave

81 Trans Am

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2024, 09:03:32 AM »
Got the drivers side window back in after pulling all the tracks and greasing them, as well as getting that window tinted. The sticky on window adjusting was a HUGE help.  Also included photos on the outside felt from firebird central. Very minor adjustments needed.

A had a boo boo on the tint while installing the window but it’s not enough to make me want to have it redone. I also need to replace the felts on the adjustment blocks on the top of the doors.

I start 12 hour shifts tomorrow for 10 days so the door panels will have to wait.  The dash bezel also is boxed up and heading to Randy.  :D :D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 09:05:48 AM by N PRGRES »
Dave

81 Trans Am

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2024, 11:11:01 AM »
Just got some photos on the headrest material for the new seats. Loving it.
Dave

81 Trans Am

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2024, 12:29:35 PM »
Some of the updates on the seats
Dave

81 Trans Am

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2024, 03:54:58 AM »

Who is making the seat covers for you? They look nice.

79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2024, 10:47:01 AM »
Those are cerillo seats going in. Replacing them with a more modern and reclining seat was not much more than getting all the parts to rebuild mine.
Dave

81 Trans Am

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2024, 10:47:01 AM »
You can help support TAC!