Author Topic: Pitman Arm joint greasing  (Read 149 times)

jbanna

• Active Forum Member
Pitman Arm joint greasing
« on: March 15, 2024, 12:40:32 AM »
Ok, I just replace my old steering gear and rag joint, and decided to grease all the steering joints since it's been at least 10 years and about 15,000 miles; however, when I got to the ball joint between the inner tie rod and the pitman arm, I could barely get any grease into the zerk and joint - does that mean it is too full, or just worn out?  Initially I thought the grease gun was the problem, but I discounted that after testing...ugh, I hate such surprises!
78 White T/A, Carmine interior, Fisher T-tops, WS-6 package, 3.08 gears, a/c, rear discs. Original 403 with 300,000 miles replaced by new Pontiac 455 (roller everything, 6x-4 heads, Performer manifold, Hooker Headers, Hughes converter, Cliff's Q-jet).

Oldsschool79

• Active Forum Member
Re: Pitman Arm joint greasing
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2024, 07:41:57 AM »
From my experience the fitting is usually rusted shut. As for the joint being full, most end up pushing grease beyond the seal or tearing it from pressure. I would check the fitting first.

jbanna

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2024, 01:28:24 AM »
Thanks, I figured it out - the joint is fine, but it's common to have trouble forcing more grease into that one, mostly due to the much closer tolerances...which also means not much grease squeaks by like with the other joints...
78 White T/A, Carmine interior, Fisher T-tops, WS-6 package, 3.08 gears, a/c, rear discs. Original 403 with 300,000 miles replaced by new Pontiac 455 (roller everything, 6x-4 heads, Performer manifold, Hooker Headers, Hughes converter, Cliff's Q-jet).

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2024, 01:28:24 AM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!