Author Topic: Side Window Regulator  (Read 181 times)

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
Side Window Regulator
« on: March 13, 2024, 06:32:37 AM »
How much of a pain is this to remove and install.  Mine is very rsty and I would like to clean it up as it makes a horrible noise as the window goes up/down
Dave

81 Trans Am

nUcLeArEnVoY

• Active Forum Member
Re: Side Window Regulator
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2024, 10:13:51 AM »
Apparently the right way is to drill three 3/4" large holes using a template to access the fasteners to remove the regulator, even according to GM-approved technique in the service manual.

However, I have heard of guys that have pulled off removing the regulator bolts and undid the rivets without having to drill holes all by sneaking their hands in and out behind the structure, using low profile wrenches/ratchets, and using magnetic tools. That's the way I'd do it, I don't care how much longer it would take - I wouldn't want to drill into my car.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 10:17:48 AM by nUcLeArEnVoY »
1979 Trans Am 400/4-Speed W72/WS6 - Starlight Black Hardtop

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2024, 12:21:58 PM »
Apparently the right way is to drill three 3/4" large holes using a template to access the fasteners to remove the regulator, even according to GM-approved technique in the service manual.

However, I have heard of guys that have pulled off removing the regulator bolts and undid the rivets without having to drill holes all by sneaking their hands in and out behind the structure, using low profile wrenches/ratchets, and using magnetic tools. That's the way I'd do it, I don't care how much longer it would take - I wouldn't want to drill into my car.
maybe I'll try to wire wheel and grease it first lol
Dave

81 Trans Am

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2024, 05:14:42 AM »
I took the tracks out and cleaned and lubricated. You may be able to hit the regulator with some evaporust in place, then clean and lubricate. A little trick I learned is to spray paint a spot on the mounting bolts. That will mark them for a good location in regards to re-install.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2024, 07:47:44 AM »
The 3 large holes required were for if you wanted to remove just the motor from the regulator assembly and give access with socket. I guess they thought it was quicker to do and less work during a quick service or repair, not a restoration.

I did mine when I got the car 20 years ago as a young fella, drilled the rivets out, lifted the glass and regulators out to swap in new window motors. I replaced with bolts, with the heads soldered into place to create studs. They only need to hold them in place until you can get it back into the door as was a bit fiddly getting them in with dropping them each time. Years later they are still intact, but I'd do something different next time, not sure what yet. I hardly remember doing the job, did most my work during work shifts through the night when not sleeping. Limited diagrams, manuals or info, just went with it. Of course, the job made no difference as the original motors were fine, it was just the typical Firebird worn-out electricals so later they were rewired with relays.

Where does the noise come from? Window guide blocks work out? Dried and scratched up tracks? Gouged up rollers? (Although called rollers, they don't roll, they only slide) There's also a lower felt guide at the top one of the channels that wears out and often not replaced. It is located near the mirror mount.

There's a few youtube links to guys replacing regulators that may be of use. This one is a manual regulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI28WEb-aw0
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 07:55:14 AM by Wallington »

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2024, 07:47:44 AM »

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2024, 06:13:26 PM »
I don’t have power windows
Dave

81 Trans Am

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2024, 08:01:10 AM »
Great video. Thanks Wally
Dave

81 Trans Am

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2024, 10:48:04 AM »
Ben, thanks for posting the video is very informative and explains a lot.

Back in 1973 my TA came with crank windows and I converted them to power. At that time I could purchase the regulators, motors, switches, wiring harness and bird emblems that plug the holes where the cranks used to be directly from Pontiac and the price was reasonable. I didn't have to drill any holes to remove the regulators and thought I remembered having to drill out rivets to remove the original regulators, but that was so long ago. Back when I restored my 1975 TA the power windows were slow and noisy. I removed the regulators to clean and lube them. Today I imagine there are a few 40-50 year old cars that would benefit from cleaning and lubing the regulators and tracks.
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750