Author Topic: Door Panel clean up  (Read 424 times)

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
Door Panel clean up
« on: March 11, 2024, 05:59:36 AM »
While I would love to be able to get brand new panels, they aren't in the budget this year and my OEM ones are actually in good shape other than some items that need corrected.

Not sure what the plastic part at the top is called but its bracked (see photo).  I am thinking of just glassing it but how do I go about getting it attached back to the board.  Was it just glued and if not, can I just glue it, or even glass it to the board?

Second is the "chrome" trip piece on the front side (also photo attached).  Any thoughts on how to get it chrome again?
Dave

81 Trans Am

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
Re: Door Panel clean up
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2024, 07:57:13 AM »
I thought the plastic part was glued and stapled to the board but maybe just glued. I used a screwdriver that I heated with a torch and melted stainless wire I bent into a zigzag shape and I also used stainless screening I pulled from a new kitchen strainer. I cut it up into strips and heated the screwdriver with the torch and pushed the screen into the plastic on both sides. Then sanded it smooth and reglued the fabric down. I think mine was in like 8 pieces. Seemed to hold up so far.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2024, 02:38:41 PM »
I like Lukes idea to fix the plastic half round. As for the chrome, I did exactly what Walli said. I bought some chrome foil in a package from a model supply house. No idea where it came from at this point. Probably something I found on the net. I was trying to save money and re-do the panels for my TATA. The chrome piping was a bit of a pain in the *&^&*^*&. Results were marginal at best. I did the piping and tried to trim the loose strings from the embroidered bird and the carpet didnt looks so good so I scrapped the idea and bought new. Without the fancy stuff I would imagine the panels can be cleaned and dyed (if necessary) to look pretty good.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2024, 05:26:39 AM »
I thought the plastic part was glued and stapled to the board but maybe just glued. I used a screwdriver that I heated with a torch and melted stainless wire I bent into a zigzag shape and I also used stainless screening I pulled from a new kitchen strainer. I cut it up into strips and heated the screwdriver with the torch and pushed the screen into the plastic on both sides. Then sanded it smooth and reglued the fabric down. I think mine was in like 8 pieces. Seemed to hold up so far.

I think its supposed to be glued and stapled but the staples have pulled through and the glue is long gone.  I think I can reglue it without too many issues.  I like your idea on the plastic.  I will give it a shot but probably also add some resin over it for added strength. 
Dave

81 Trans Am

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2024, 05:21:52 AM »
Let is know how it goes.  It's been a while since I did mine and I will have to do it again for my formula as I bought un assembled panels from Legendary and they don't come with thw plastic panel.  I'll have to fix my originals or make them from sheet metal like legendary does for their assembled panels. I tried to buy the metal ones from them but they wouldn't sell them to me.

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2024, 05:21:52 AM »

Warren Seale

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2024, 11:17:47 AM »
I tried to use the silver mylar tape that most closely matches the original silver piping trim but it wasn't flexible enough to make the turns.  The next best thing is using silver pin striping, like what is intended for exterior use.  This stuff can be stretched to make the turns without buckling.  However, it won't match the chrome like silver that was originally there.  I've had this on the door panels without issue for over 30 years.
79 T/A,WS6,403,A3
96 T/A,WS6(#1344),M6
72 442,W30,A3
96 Vette Grand Sport convertible (#713),F45,LT4,M6
13 427 Vette convertible (#1425),Z30/Z25,M6

81Blackbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2024, 06:38:58 AM »
It's hard to get the corners to lay down with pinstriping as mentioned.  I solved the problem by using a sheet of chorme.  Lay the sheet over the corner an trace it out on the
sheet.  Then trim along the traced lines.  You'll have to piece the rest with striping once your on the straight parts.

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2024, 06:18:32 AM »
Got some repair work done to the plastic this weekend.  Used a resin and embedded fiberglass matting into it.  I wanted to try the resin but fiberglass would have been just as good IMO.  I alaso repaired around the holes for the plastic clips holding the panels on.
Dave

81 Trans Am

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2024, 03:26:29 AM »
Was it already saturated in a pouch or something?

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2024, 05:58:30 AM »
Was it already saturated in a pouch or something?
No, I bought the resin off amazon and mixed it, and brushed it onto the plastic.  then just laid the matting in and added more resim overtop and brushed it in till it was saturated.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 08:48:20 AM by N PRGRES »
Dave

81 Trans Am

rkellerjr

• Oracle Forum Member
  • When you turn your car on does it return the favor
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2024, 06:25:12 AM »
Ingenuity, looks good

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2024, 03:32:24 PM »
Gotcha. Ya, I did the same thing to my cardboard holes were the clips go. It worked really well. My panels are tight to the door.

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2024, 01:07:53 PM »
What is a good grease for the window tracks?
Dave

81 Trans Am

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2024, 05:07:55 AM »
Also, are the window roller supposed to swivel or remain fixed in position?
Dave

81 Trans Am

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2024, 05:55:34 AM »
I have a brand new box of hardware in the shop but cant remember off hand. I am pretty sure that some of them do swivel, not sure if they all do.

Again, its been several years since I did the ones in my black car but I used white lithium grease from a tube. I think that is what the shop manual calls for
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2024, 05:55:34 AM »

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2024, 07:21:57 AM »
They will swivel if needed but usually far too firm to roll like their name implies. They just pivot from side to side and slide up the channel changing angles as required. Just as long as they can be flipped over the full range of the travel, actually turning is not important.

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2024, 07:21:57 AM »
You can help support TAC!