Author Topic: Trunk filler panel screws  (Read 597 times)

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Trunk filler panel screws
« on: February 13, 2024, 11:53:25 PM »
I just went to check something for an unrelated post that I thought was fairly simple to answer, then found that the trunk filler panel is not mentioned in Assembly manuals or Part manuals, there is reference to, but then it isn't listed further when you follow that link. I'll look at some others... I wasn't terribly concerned until I couldn't find an easy answer!

Anyway, trunk filler panel, same for 70-81 Firebird and Camaro #8780126....what screws did they use and were they the same above and below the panel?  I was always surprised that they only had 3 screws along the lower visible side, especially when already had stamped bosses for 2 more. Always looked unfinished or like they'd used 5 originally then decided to cost-cut and skimp, but wasn't the case. Appear to have never used the other locations.

Mine isn't original, can't check that, and I have 2-3 different packs of replacement screws that don't match each other. I mainly buy them for different types of screws, rather than the application they suggest. Many do 'work' but not necessarily original style, many don't care.

Not only is there confusion over what they looked like and where they went, also how many to supply....5, 6 ..8?

Zinc type with Phillips-head and flange, plus sealing goo:
https://cdn.classicindustries.com/assets/images/ProductImg/G/G4156K_main-01.jpg

Same again but 5 instead of 8
https://www.firebirdcentral.com/v/vspfiles/photos/SHE-282H-2T.jpg

Zinc type with regular small flange head, similar to fan blower motor etc:
https://cdn4.volusion.store/klmat-yytxn/v/vspfiles/photos/HTR-36C-2.jpg?v-cache=1477632079

Same again but longer:
https://fbodywarehouse.com/store/var/images/product/300.300/T/1970_1971_1972_1973_1974_1975_1976_1977_1978_1979_1980_1981_camaro_trans_am_trunk_filler_screws_fbodywarehouse.jpg

Or a set of 8 blackened hex-heads from AMK that I can totally imagine there, but also rarely listed in resto shops.
https://d2zl5tj7gmc4tr.cloudfront.net/images/products/c-12971-7ak_20230607090643.jpg

Next question, for any owners of original cars. Perhaps the screw type changed over the years, various suppliers etc, that happened elsewhere too like glovebox lid and similar. Were these screws painted as already assembled at the time or bare screws as panel added after paint? I check several 'original' vehicles where I'd saved pics of trunk and spare wheels, and although not many are clear in screw types, what was clear was that some are painted and some are blackened, added after paint, or paint hasn't adhered!

« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 12:02:38 AM by Wallington »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
Re: Trunk filler panel screws
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 05:11:56 AM »
I'm pretty sure mine were like the last ones, the blocked hex. But my car is black so they could have been painted with the panel. I can't get to that part of my white formula, wish I could because that would tell me if they were painted body color. Hopefully Larry can chime in, his car is original and white as well.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2024, 10:31:14 AM »
I am not sure how much help I can be on this, maybe raising more questions than answers. Here are a few pictures from my 1980. I believe it was built in August or September of 1979 at the Norwood plant. A few areas where the paint has chipped off looks like the bolts were black. I don't know the length and don't want to pull one out. Looks like 2S on the heads of the bolts and a sealant was used when installing and painted over at some point. Keep in mind in 1980 they began building with metric hardware. Some fasteners are metric and some are SAE. It's very possible different screws were used in prior years.

IMG_2934 by Lawrence Alexander, on Flickr

IMG_2935 by Lawrence Alexander, on Flickr

On Ben's comment about using five, versus three screws, you can see where the center screw is installed the panel it mates to is raised slightly, versus the unused spot on the right side.

IMG_2936 by Lawrence Alexander, on Flickr
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2024, 11:15:45 AM »
Thanks for the pics. The panel flexes and distorts easily, some have a gap under them, some don't. The curve over the length and taper of the pressing between the raised bosses is still roughly the same for all, still had to look twice at the illusion. The AMK screws shown were listed as 78-81, they don't seem to have anything for prior if there was a change. They are also metric.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2024, 02:29:07 PM »
I am pretty sure on my 77 they were short hex screws. Def not the long ones like the f body warehouse is showing and just an assumption but I doubt they were the black zinc oxide. I do know mine were pretty rusty. As for having philips cant say one way or the other. I did not touch them on my 79, unfortunately the trunk is covered with 2 layers and piled with parts presently so I cannot access them easily.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2024, 02:29:07 PM »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2024, 05:16:28 AM »
I'm not sure I agree with Ben on the other sections touching the body. I don't believe either of my car touch either. They look like Larry's. Maybe there is an earlier body that has raised bosses that make it positive for those area's to touch but not on my 79s. Just to be sure of my statement, I'll go out tonight and double check my car. (The one I have access to).

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2024, 05:57:57 AM »
I checked mine as well, touching and flush but can be easily lifted off the surfaces to create a gap. It all comes down to where the other screws and windscreen retainers and windscreen sealant are holding the panel to the shape it sits on each vehicle.

Actually, this pic might clear up some of the confusion. I was just going to add a couple of pics showing gaps or flush but it may simply come down to side of photo shown. My car is black and couldn't see a thing in dark so this is maybe why. I'll have to check both sides or mine, probably same.

Check this one out, raised boss on left seems to almost contact the panel, boss on right stops short and leaves a gap. Hard to tell from far away, this '78 appears it could have 2 screws with the phillips-head top and a 3rd that is standard, or filled with sealant, all painted. Supposedly an original 3500 mile car.

https://cdn.dealeraccelerate.com/rkm/1/6663/412515/1920x1440/1978-pontiac-firebird-trans-am

And just to confuse things more, seems some vehicles don't have that raised boss on left of pic and have equal gap both sides. But them found others than do and the tiniest gap on right still. But the years don't make sense. Saved pics of a 77 and 78 with no obvious raised areas in all 3 locations and seated flush in all 3. A 1980 with raised areas and equal gaps each side. A 75 with no obvious raised areas, flush all 3 locations. A 79 with only centre raised, equal gap both sides. I could go on, I could upload pics but not sure what it proves other than that there are differences. And now I don't even know what mine was like.

Different 78:

https://cdn.dealeraccelerate.com/stlouis/1/1644/56809/1920x1440/1978-pontiac-trans-am-se-t-top

"Restored 78":
https://seven82.mymedia.delivery/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/1978-Pontiac-Trans-Am-6-40.jpg

https://assets.dyler.com/uploads/cars/321843/6917848/large_10dd895a-427c-41c3-ab0f-4ef12f2379e8.jpg

Might have to have a look at Firebird pics/videos doing trunk rod replacement, see what's going on under there, and then decide if anyone cares!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 06:54:51 AM by Wallington »

sreta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2024, 04:14:02 PM »
On mine '79 they were like this one

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2024, 05:00:51 PM »
Thanks!

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2024, 11:48:59 PM »
Another thing I'd like to find out is how many screws are used on the top side. The top corners are obvious, but the rest is hidden by trim. On mine, the trim is currently removed but the ribbon windscreen seal still blocks most the view. I can see most of those slotted tabs are unused, but not if there's a screw just out of sight or perhaps a hole under but not in use when should be. I need to check a few pics where guys are replacing trunk rods, I've said that before. Or check my other manuals since the main ones didn't show this area in detail. Or just remove mine for a look, but rarely spent much time near it, stored elsewhere.

Had a quick look, by sticking head up under the sides you can see where all 3 locations in the centre on the topside have a scalloped pressing, same as below. So that it was once intended to have a screw option, and if so the screw hole wouldn't go beyond the second skin on the trunk. That still doesn't tell if there is actually a screw there, pretty sure it'd be visible if it were there, but moreso if there is a hole there or not. I can see basically the entire area of the slotted part of the panel and no screws, but leading edge has sealant. If anything there at all, it would barely be touching the panel edge. But it is capable of using one if ever needed. Took a few blurry pics, kinda off topic but was also just for sake of conversation anyway. I'm rambling a lot, I also edit and add extra info and it doesn't always make sense or read easily.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 05:29:01 AM by Wallington »

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2024, 05:10:27 AM »
I took several pics but most were blurry, don't need many anyway.

This is the scalloped area on the forward area of the 3 pressing areas  seen on the rear of the filler panel, from in side the trunk. That was a confusing description. Try this, those 3 pressings in the rear of the filler panel, the centre being the only one with the screw, there are screw locations on the opposite front side of the filler panel too. As I said, seemingly unused on mine, but designed with room so that a screw wouldn't show through if used.

This is looking from inside the trunk rearwards, filler panel runs directly about this inner channel. I should have contorted even more, and used the torch or phone to see if any screw holes visible up through that access hole. I know the centre rear screw could be seen up inside from the right angle, didn't think to look for unused holes, or maybe I did, just didn't see anything. Next time.

20240217_171608 by Ben, on Flickr

20240217_171633 by Ben, on Flickr

For some reason i didn't take photos of the rear locations with centre screw but seemed to be also designed underneath to allow all locations to be used, if needed. I also didn't take a pic looking across the rear from side to side. Mine sits flush on all 3 pressing locations, screw in centre, can be lifted slightly either side with panel flex. But looking side to side I couldn't see any flat areas or distortion in top curve. As long as it matches trunk lid front, if has a gap or sits flush.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 05:21:05 AM by Wallington »

sreta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2024, 11:28:26 AM »
Six total on mine, three upper and three lower.

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2024, 11:58:49 AM »
Excellent, thanks. That's why I expected but mine has been apart and can't see top hole but expected it may still be there unused.

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2024, 08:35:02 PM »
Aaah, here we go. Far harder than it should have been to find and still vague. Pretty sure mine doens't have the front centre screw, as mentioned 10x already.

And yet there's still replacement screws in packs of 5, 6, 7, even 8...? Spares are good.

If you look at the side profile diagram you'll see the rearwards screws/bare locations (centre 3) are basically above the round access holes in photos above. And the forward screw/bare locations (centre 3) are where those scalloped bulges are, to give room for screw inside. As can be seen in photos above and below, the central screws is offset to one side, photo on underside clearly shows same while other is matching front to rear.

Firebird trunk filler panel screws diagram by Aus78Formula, on Flickr
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 08:41:33 PM by Wallington »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2024, 02:53:58 PM »
Nice find!

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2024, 02:53:58 PM »

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2024, 05:08:51 AM »
I got curious. I found the screw hole underneath with my finger from inside the trunk, no screw tip. Pulled the panel off anyway. Still no screw, although screw hole was largely under the ribbon seal, had to go looking for it.

Of interest, or not, was that I recall pulling some old fabric sleeve coating that was perishing off the trunk rods years ago when peeking up under it. It would have been a non-squeak sleeve slipped over one when new, almost like cloth tape without the stick. There is a patch where one rod is bare and unpainted where the sleeve was.

Only one pic, as I've filled up another Flickr account.

Firebird trunk filler panel removed upper screw hole rods (4) by Aus78Formula, on Flickr
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 05:14:42 AM by Wallington »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2024, 06:01:33 AM »
The diagram you posted is how I remember them on my cars.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

wheels78ta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2024, 08:54:00 AM »
There is a rubber sleeve on one of the trunk torque rods.

This is before I removed the rods..........................

Willie

1978 Gold Y88 4 spd W72 WS6 project
1987 K5 Blazer---The Crawler
2006 Chevy Silverado Z71----Hers
2005 Chevy Suburban 2500---The Hauler

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2024, 09:09:52 AM »
So what you're trying to say is that I didn't need to pull mine apart?!

Thanks for pic. Maybe mine was a rubber sleeve too, I just recall reaching up and it was brittle and coming off in sections and I didn't want to leave it there, I thought it as left over masking from respray. Will add something, somehow, when time comes. Wrap some rubber sheet around and secure each end with metal cable ties or similar.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 09:17:41 AM by Wallington »

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2024, 02:09:17 AM »
Turns out, when reinstalling the panel temporarily,  I discovered why the top screws were self-tappers with phillips-heads. Simply no room for small socket to fit there. So replaced all top 3 with self-tappers again. The issue being that the rear glass has been installed too far down and not enough room at base between edge of glass and channel edge, plenty of room at top. The glass had to come out anyway for rear shelf repairs, 12 years has now gone since it was booked in for that task. I wonder if they forgot.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2024, 06:58:25 AM »
Sounds like your dealing with some of the guys I had for my car :lol:
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold