Author Topic: Dumb exhaust manifold bolt questions  (Read 135 times)

pozarcar

• Active Forum Member
Dumb exhaust manifold bolt questions
« on: February 12, 2024, 07:02:03 PM »
I have a Jan 1978 build W72 400 T/A.  I ordered new exhaust manifold bolts from Ames. The pack I got has eight bolts.  I called to check, and they said it is correct for my car.  Issue is, I removed 12 bolts when I took off my manifolds - one for each of the six flange bolt holes in each manifold.  When I called Ames, the lady said "not all the holes are used".  That doesn't seem right.  Am I missing something?

Second question: the new bolts came with four locking washer tabs.  On which bolts do these go?

Below are pics of the manifold bolts that came off my car. There were a variety of types. 

Five have a large 9/16 head with an integral washer flange, shoulder and a hollow space in the center at the tip of the bolt.

Five look like the ones I got from Ames, with a thinner 9/16 head and shoulder, but mine had washers.
1978 Y-82 SE 4-speed (1 of 489)
2010 Plum Crazy Challenger SRT-8

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Dumb exhaust manifold bolt questions
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 07:27:25 PM »
There's several different combinations, perhaps their kit was a generic set to cover most and not use whatever was left. But that still sees 5,6 and 7 as common amounts per side, and still not enough if you were trying to replace a broken stud with a bolt, in case someone tried that. On other engines the locking tabs went on the outer-most bolts and bent over the side, not sure as to what these models used originally. There's possibly diagrams in the manuals, assume you've already looked.

Just looked at 76 manual for something else, it shows that the downpipe collector that uses 3 studs could also use 2 studs and 1 bolt when the vacuum valve was not used in between, so things like that would perhaps see an extra bolt or 2 thrown in.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 07:36:57 PM by Wallington »

Re: Dumb exhaust manifold bolt questions
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 07:27:25 PM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!