Author Topic: subframe connector istallation  (Read 569 times)

81Resto

• Active Forum Member
subframe connector istallation
« on: February 06, 2024, 05:19:24 PM »
I am looking at installing subframe connectors during my restoration.  I am split between the global west subframe connectors and the PTFB Gen II's.  This is less of a question of which one would be best to use
but more on the installation of.  All instructions I have read have said to install with the car on the ground.  However, I currently have the car on a rotisserie, this feels like it could be a good time to
do because of ease of access and would not be welding out of position. These will be welded in.  My thought being welding in the back and bolting in the front to the body of the car until the front clip can be installed.  I know that this will take
some careful measuring and planning, so that the front clip will bolt up correctly.  Does anyone have any experience installing these?  Is this a bad plan? doable? Should I wait until the car is back down on the ground?

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: subframe connector istallation
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2024, 06:39:14 AM »
Sounds like a good idea as far as being able to get to them, but Im not sure I would want to do it that way. I am pretty good with laying things out. Try laying out precise anchor bolt patterns for 30 or 40 steel columns in a concrete pour when all you have is a bed of gravel!! But I dont think I would want figure out where something like this would weld in place to bolt up with no problems at all. Also not sure if it makes a difference if there is a 'load' on the suspension when these need to be put in place. Laying underneath a car to work on something is def a pain in the &%^%&^ but may be better in this case?
FWIW I do not have them on my cars so I have experience.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2024, 04:29:49 PM »
Back in 2020 I was seriously considering installing sub-frame connectors, but decide not to. Researching installation instructions they want the cars weight on the suspension and tires as the car would sit on the ground. While it looks appealing  to install them with your car on the rotisserie, I personally would not take the chance. So you either need a lift that supports the tires or need to build cribs.

Here is a message from a Forum member who installed PTFB connectors. Unfortunately the links in this message are no longer good. You might try messaging the poster Steve for input or you could try emailing him.

IMG_4075 by Lawrence Alexander, on Flickr
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2024, 06:29:10 PM »
I don't really see an issue. Normally done on a hoist or jacked up and with wheels on blocks to create a natural stance. If you are set on welding then you could still do so while you have good access, then finish the other end when fully assembled on the ground and complete where drilling and bolting isn't so bad. I have the PTFB type, bolted-in.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2024, 06:54:31 PM »
I would think they would want to move. I installed the PTFB ones back in 2020ish. It was pretty easy and made a bug difference. I may have missed it but you have the front subframe on and square with it on the rotisserie? I would think everything would be out of whack without the car together.  Just my opinion.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2024, 06:54:31 PM »

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2024, 10:04:40 PM »
If on a rotisserie then every tweak and adjustment is yet to be done, starting with after the chassis fits the body.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2024, 04:58:09 AM »
Ya. That's why I suggest to do them after....

81Resto

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2024, 07:25:38 PM »
Thank you all for the input/replies much appreciated.  Since the front clip is not on the car I would hate to weld something in and not have enough adjustment to square everything up, or create other issues

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2024, 08:22:15 PM »
So the chassis rails aren't installed with the body shell anyway?

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2024, 04:17:27 AM »
The subframe connectors, connect the front subframe via bolts or welding to the leaf spring front pocket. You must have the subframe attached and square up (and personally I prefer the front sheet metal be installed and all lined up as well) before you install the subframe connectors.

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2024, 08:45:28 PM »
Absolutely, but given missing information still not supplied it wouldn't stop him either since all adjustments are independent and still need to be done regardless. If only a bare body and nothing else then it can't be matched-up correctly anyway, even for bolting-up. Can perhaps have a look at how it fits but not much else without a chassis rail, the rear half only slides along and has no fixed location. Irrelevant anyway, can simply do later, or now, or not at all, whatever he likes.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 08:58:35 PM by Wallington »

jbanna

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2024, 01:36:56 PM »
I welded mine on, but it turned out to be way too stiff, so I cut the welds and just bolted them on, which was just right, sort of like Goldilock's experience with the 3 Bears!
78 White T/A, Carmine interior, Fisher T-tops, WS-6 package, 3.08 gears, a/c, rear discs. Original 403 with 300,000 miles replaced by new Pontiac 455 (roller everything, 6x-4 heads, Performer manifold, Hooker Headers, Hughes converter, Cliff's Q-jet).

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2024, 01:36:56 PM »
You can help support TAC!