Author Topic: Pre windshield paint question  (Read 354 times)

DirtyWhite77

• Active Forum Member
Pre windshield paint question
« on: January 10, 2024, 01:56:20 PM »
Hi guys I’m going to have a new windshield installed in my 77 TA here soon but I have some questions.

I repainted the body of the car while the old windshield was out. I cleaned sanded and resprayed the insides of the a posts and the area where the windshield lays in at the roof line. Nothing crazy thick, it looks good and adhered hood everywhere. I can see the spot welds under the paint still. That was months ago and the paint has definitely cured. Is there anything else I should do in anticipation of the install guy?

It dawned on me a couple of days ago that the area just inside my windshield but before the foam dash is very faded and could use painted. My car was originally white outside red inside. And someone painted the outside black and redid a lot of the interior black. I’ve repainted the outside red, and I’m redoing the interior in firethorn red.

Should that metal area behind the windshield but before the foam be firethorn red?

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
Re: Pre windshield paint question
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2024, 08:15:23 PM »
 I did a bunch of research on this. Any good glass installer will not install a windshield in a painted bed. The urethane adhesive will pull off any paint and the seal will fail. The base (paint) that they can legally lay the urethane on is epoxy or factory original paint. I unfortunately did the same as you. I had to wire wheel my entire window frame and re epoxy the whole thing. That is my suggestion to you if you don't want any future seal failures.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Former brake guy
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2024, 09:16:26 AM »
Mine is (was) Cameo White - it showed thru the windscreen which annoyed me a bit.  The inside portion of the "A" pillar facing outward should get a coating of semi-flat black.

I have not had any issues with urethane on fully cured paint.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2024, 12:48:11 PM »
There is no real issue unless there is an accident. Certified windshield installer can't legally install a windshield over non OE paint. They actually carry a windshield primer but for use where the oe paint is damaged or missing. There is not enough adhesion of multilayer paints for a windshield to bed to. (Based on DOT). I'm not saying it won't leak if installed over paint, it probably won't stay in place in an accident and real licensed windshield installer won't do it. This is more of an FYI than anything.  I'll see if I can dig up the data sheet I have on this.

Here is a link to another post about it.

https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/205128

« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 01:02:07 PM by FormTA »

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2024, 04:09:16 PM »
My recommendation would be to have all your trim clips and trim available for the installer. When they did my glass, he did all the clips prior to the adhesive and glass.

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2024, 04:09:16 PM »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2024, 05:21:34 PM »
Very good suggestion.  I had all my clips installed too before the urethane bed was laid in and we put the trim on as soon as the glass was laid.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2024, 08:18:51 AM »
I think he is referring to the metal in front of the dash pad? Correct me if im wrong. It should be the same colour as your dash in a matte finish. Much easier to paint before the window goes in.
I understand exactly what Luke is saying about the paint, but I have had a couple of windshields put in and the guys could care less about the paint.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter