Author Topic: Center console update.  (Read 412 times)

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
Center console update.
« on: January 09, 2024, 05:02:24 PM »
Had some spare time last month and decided to repair my center console that developed a few stress cracks around the shifter plate. The dual gate shifter sat up just a little higher than stock which caused the pressure points.
I repaired the cracks with 3m flexible bumper repair and SEM texture and black paint.

I wanted to add some drink holders and found this company that offers the drink holders , phone holder and power outlet  already on a mounting plate. After using the mounting plate as a template to making the holes, I assembled everything and found that the plate sat up higher than what I liked… so I eliminated the plate and just used the inserts directly to the console for a cleaner look.

The kit was about 100 bucks, but I know you can buy the pieces and parts for a lot cheaper. If anyone is interested, I can send you a paper copy of the template for anyone interested in doing this…free

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Center console update.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2024, 05:52:47 PM »
How’d the flexible bumper filler seem to work?
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2024, 06:16:31 PM »
Looks neat. Might be handy if you do a lot of road trips or have someone that rides with you. I've never even owned a car with a cup holder.

Are those pics hosted by the site here? I'm trying to work out why they don't show at all using certain sites to open the page.

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2024, 07:03:55 PM »
The 3m bumper filler works really well, we will see how it handles the Texas heat after the summer.

I have used the 3m flex bumper filler and Upol flex bumper filler on two different 73 Endura bumpers without any issues for othe past year.

I would normally use the padded dash filler but was out and decided to use what I had.

As far as the pics go… I just post them directly from my library to this site, under additional options.

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2024, 08:32:40 PM »
The 3m bumper filler works really well, we will see how it handles the Texas heat after the summer.

I have used the 3m flex bumper filler and Upol flex bumper filler on two different 73 Endura bumpers without any issues for othe past year.

I would normally use the padded dash filler but was out and decided to use what I had.

As far as the pics go… I just post them directly from my library to this site, under additional options.

Thanks, I’ve been wanting to try some for a project but wasn’t sure how it would work. Eventually I also need to repair a crack in my dash. Eventually……
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2024, 08:32:40 PM »

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2024, 08:12:27 PM »
That’s very cool!  I’ve got a crack around my shifter plate too. Been debating pulling the console out and fixing it up as well.
Darryl

'77 black TA Hardtop LS3 / 4L70E swap
Build thread:
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61066

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2024, 05:31:36 AM »
That looks outstanding  Nice job!
Dave

81 Trans Am