Author Topic: Body Moulds  (Read 435 times)

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Body Moulds
« on: January 02, 2024, 04:08:39 AM »
Thought I also posted this here, can't see it. Useful info on the 71-81 body moulds. Not the rivet-on type.

71-75 stainless type with retainers
73-78 adhesive type
79-81 adhesive type

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=870231&highlight=body+mold
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 05:17:45 AM by Wallington »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
Re: Body Moulds
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2024, 10:04:13 AM »

Good info there.  My car came with it from tye factory bit I didn't put it back on. I have a roll of it somewhere but I like the clean look better.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 08:35:14 PM »
I'm the same, I like originality, or at least to know how it was, then decide. I think these work better on some models and some colours than others.

Mine had them originally as optioned, but seems to have been a dealer rivet-on set. It has been mentioned in the past by original owners or dealer workers that some options were left incomplete on arrival and is how some vehicles came to have the rivet-on type. I'd have thought they could just as easily have supplied the GM adhesive roll. Who knows, easier to apply, short supply, no idea. I haven't seen any reference to this occurring. There's also the chance that my car originally had adhesive but at a later date, for whatever reason, had rivet-on set installed. Possible also. Except that there's also original owners with optioned moulds and they are riveted type, and not factory type.

All I know is that the only mark on my car is a small crease in the door right on the angle below the door lock, courtesy of an auto electrician. He denied knowing anything about it, looks exactly like if you let go of a floor jack handle.......doonk. Body mould would have protected it and not even been marked. So from now on, I put body moulds on all trolley floor jack handles....   :lol:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 08:37:01 PM by Wallington »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2024, 05:16:03 AM »

If my car was a daily driver, I might install it. It does prevent door dings from other people's doors. I was lucky, my car had the original style and I drove the heck out of it as a teen and I'm sure they got abused.  Unfortunately they didn't save the doors from rusting away. Had to replace them anyways.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2024, 05:43:00 AM »
Ran it's course quicker than it took to compile and type up!

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2024, 05:43:00 AM »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2024, 05:55:45 AM »
I had the rivet on style on my 77. I assumed it was factory. I have never liked the look of them and did not put them back on. I know there was a guy that made weekley visits to the local body shop and installing these and striping of all designs was his specialty. I believe those were all stick on though. Like Luke, if it was a daily driver I may go another route but for what my car does I have been lucky to save on those door dings. I bought a pair of magnetic stick ons when I had my 82 firebired. They were pretty neat, in that they were the length of the door and had a small hook that latched around the door edge to prevent theft. They were fairly soft on the face. I have not seen them in years and the company I bought them from is long gone.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter