Author Topic: Front bumper waved  (Read 720 times)

Christian_GM

• Active Forum Member
Front bumper waved
« on: December 29, 2023, 04:04:13 PM »
dear all,
during Xmas time I put a new set of CVF hood hinges and I did again all body panels gap from doors to fender and hood. Pretty satisfied with the result. I did not removed the bumber yet. body restoration was done by a body shop here in Italy but I'm not very happy about the result. Anyway, I need to find a way to fix a small gap between right fender and bumper, just on the upper side. the rest of the gap is correctly tight. any idea? second issue, how to remove that "wave" on the bumper on the flat area above the grille, driver side? passenger side is nice and flat! thank you so much.
1980 Trans Am Pace Car Clone Project
383 LT1 - 4L60E

Push the pedal to the metal!

Warren Seale

• Active Forum Member
Re: Front bumper waved
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 08:41:21 AM »
It will be difficult to get the wave out. The urethane bumper covers distort if they are not stored properly when off the car or if they were heated during painting.  Don't sweat the gaps and alignment too much since the body part tolerances were nothing like the cars made today.  They were sloppy looking when new.  The experienced assembly line workers couldn't get them to align perfectly just because of the tolerances.
79 T/A,WS6,403,A3
96 T/A,WS6(#1344),M6
72 442,W30,A3
96 Vette Grand Sport convertible (#713),F45,LT4,M6
13 427 Vette convertible (#1425),Z30/Z25,M6

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 09:00:31 AM »

Ya. I have seen a couple 100% original cars and the alignment of panels is horrible.  They make my car look amazing. 

Wellington is correct, that wave is from storing the cover while it was still attached to the crash bar. I know, because I did that with mine. When I finally removed it completely I used a heat gun and clamped paint stick and wood to it and had to keep checking and applying heat every week for over a month to get it flat again. I now store bumper covers removed from the crash bars and flat on a board with the headlights pointed up.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2024, 08:18:40 PM »
Do the 79-81 nosecones have any inner bracing or strengthening strips? For instance, the 77-78 nosecones have a flat steel strip riveted under each grille. Obviously, that's not where they will warp or sag, but there's options there to extend the steel into a brace of sorts to support other areas and maintain a point to match on either side.

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2024, 10:54:57 PM »
I’m not sure if the one I have is missing anything but it doesn’t appear to have anything more than what’s attached and the steel structure that’s pictured separately
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2024, 10:54:57 PM »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2024, 05:09:10 AM »
That's it but. If you remove it with th crash bar then it pulls it down at a weird angle that creates those waves. The crash bar is heavy.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2024, 07:03:39 AM »
I agree with what the others have said. As for the gap where the nose attaches to the fender, there should be a metal retainer/brace of sorts on the outer edge of the urethane bumper. That is what pulls the piece tight to the fender. The do tend to pull out a bit. Like Luke said they were far from perfect, not to make an excuse. The best way to fix I would surmise would be to fit everything perfectly before painting. If there was still a gap then filler could have been added. It looks like that step is way too late for your car though. The warp above the grill I believe is just the nature of the product. I dont think storage off the car is as much of a culprit as much as thats what these things tend to do with age. I did everything I could to straighten mine out on the 79 I am working on and it still has that little bit of warp in the exact same spot. I am a perfectionist but also realize that I am not building a watch and figure that it is at least as close as what the factory made.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter