TAC Central > Hobbies

8 track lot I picked up

(1/3) > >>

b_hill_86:
Back when I bought my car one thing I wanted to add was an 8 track player. Being a 77, that was the last year for the console mounted players. I found one and installed it just for fun and picked up a few tapes. I’ve been collecting some vinyl for a few years just for fun and started picking up a few tapes here and there along with a Sony player/recorder for my basement setup.

The 7 tapes pictured below are ones I’ve slowly acquired over the past several years. I recently found a lot locally however that I decided to pick up. Price was right for around 70 tapes and a portable player. Many of the tapes need new pads but many are still good and surprisingly sound good. The player ended up having some issues with the volume and tone pots and the tape head bracket either was broke or broke while I was messing with it. I tore it apart and fixed the bracket along with some contact cleaner for the pots and it actually sounds pretty decent for what it is.

My haul is below. Some good stuff, some not so good. All fun though. 

https://youtube.com/shorts/k9gdzrO7RSE?si=qIC24R0Dj6A8tF_-

5th T/A:
You hit the jackpot with the 8-track library. Do you have a functional Pontiac console mounted player in your 77?

For me this is like stepping back in time. My 1973 came with the factory AM/FM stereo, but no 8-track. I installed an aftermarket quadraphonic 8-track (I don't remember who made it). Listening to Santana Abraxas in quadraphonic, I didn't think car audio could get any better. I kept my library in a small suitcase style tape holder in the back seat.

I can remember tapes jamming and breaking. We would pull apart the cartridge and patch them up. Sometimes having to cut out a foot or two of tape. I can recall a fair number of cartridges along the side of the road, pitched out the window of a frustrated driver.

Thanks for sharing!

FormTA:
That is awesome!!! America, Neil Dimond, Meatloaf! I really need to install my player. I have a few really good tapes as well. Nice find!

kentucky yeti:
Very nice.  I still have a lot of the 8-tracks that I had in the late 70's/early and mid-80's.  Once I got married in '85, tapes (actually I went to cassette in 1983 or '84) were no longer a priority.  Food and electric bills were  :shock:

b_hill_86:

--- Quote from: 5th T/A on December 21, 2023, 09:13:29 PM ---You hit the jackpot with the 8-track library. Do you have a functional Pontiac console mounted player in your 77?

For me this is like stepping back in time. My 1973 came with the factory AM/FM stereo, but no 8-track. I installed an aftermarket quadraphonic 8-track (I don't remember who made it). Listening to Santana Abraxas in quadraphonic, I didn't think car audio could get any better. I kept my library in a small suitcase style tape holder in the back seat.

I can remember tapes jamming and breaking. We would pull apart the cartridge and patch them up. Sometimes having to cut out a foot or two of tape. I can recall a fair number of cartridges along the side of the road, pitched out the window of a frustrated driver.

Thanks for sharing!

--- End quote ---

Yea, my car originally came with an AM/FM stereo only but I wanted the 8track deck so I installed one. It works great!

--- Quote from: FormTA on December 21, 2023, 09:30:36 PM ---That is awesome!!! America, Neil Dimond, Meatloaf! I really need to install my player. I have a few really good tapes as well. Nice find!

--- End quote ---

Post em up here if you want! It’d be cool to see what others have. These certainly aren’t the pinnacle of audio quality but I find them interesting. I was born in the 80s so grew up with some vinyl, many cassettes and most of my music collection is CDs but 8 tracks have a certain draw to them. Maybe more so when you don’t HAVE to use them as your only source of music lol. For the record I also have a Bluetooth amp my factory radio and tape deck are run through but I can switch to streaming music from my phone which is a nice option

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version