TAC Tech > Interior

Passenger A/C duct

(1/5) > >>

b_hill_86:
Has anyone that lurks around here still tried an aftermarket A/C duct that fits under/behind the glovebox? I seem to recall reading somewhere the fit was terrible but I don’t remember where. All of the used ones I’ve seen are in bad shape and probably as brittle as mine.

b_hill_86:
Thanks, that’s a start.

nUcLeArEnVoY:
We always seem to rescue each other from our problems, b_hill lol.

*I* purchased the new aftermarket duct when I did my heater core replacement. My original was broken completely at the two bottom holes that use the star washers on the screws, which not only made it so that it couldn't be fastened, but also allowed air to escape.

I got the new one from Firebird Central, but the same duct is available from multiple purveyors. The fit isn't perfect but it is serviceable.  The tabs that those two screws I just mentioned go through on the bottom of the duct are a lot thicker than the stock one, so you'll need to push your screwdriver or ratchet HARD to get the screws to compress the blow mold enough to catch the threads on the glovebox frame, but you'll get it. Otherwise it's been fine. Don't forget to get new foam seal for the main opening to the heater box. I used the compressible foam with the adhesive backing from Home Depot and it's been fine.

Point is, it'll work.

b_hill_86:
Thanks I appreciate it. Mine is not fixable and I have a spare “original” that’s in better but not perfect shape I was going to try to make work. Good timing though, I’m pulling my radio so I have it all apart at the moment.

b_hill_86:
I bought one of the aftermarket ducts under the glove box. Received it today but didn’t get long to look and compare with my two originals. I will snap some pics but initial impressions are good. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version