TAC Tech > Interior

Formula wheel resto

(1/8) > >>

b_hill_86:
Starting this thread as a request for opinions and to detail my experience (hopefully).

Picked up a column for the right price recently which still had this wheel attached. Cleaned up better than I expected but the top, as you can see, is cracked. Curious as to suggestions to refinish this. Anyone tried?

b_hill_86:
Well, I haven’t dug into the wheel yet. I did refinish a spare column I had that was kind of rough. I also decided to try my hand at a wrinkle finish on a spare hub and my hub off my car. (Also pulled my column for a new rag joint and refinish.)

I can say for the wrinkle finish I found the best approach was spraying it then using a heat gun to warm the hub and paint. This gave me the quickest and most even finish. This was after stripping each hub of course.  Pics of the finished products below along with the spare column. Still working on my column. Sorry I don’t have any good before pictures.

Trying to determine my approach on the wheel next

tinpusher:
I’m in the same boat… I know some other members have had theirs refinished by a female that restores them….don’t know her name. I’m looking to do mine, just don’t know the best approach.
 As for the steering hub, I used VHT wrinkle paint, worked very well.

Wallington:
http://www.transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=83311.msg112#msg112

b_hill_86:

--- Quote from: tinpusher on July 07, 2023, 07:04:15 PM ---I’m in the same boat… I know some other members have had theirs refinished by a female that restores them….don’t know her name. I’m looking to do mine, just don’t know the best approach.
 As for the steering hub, I used VHT wrinkle paint, worked very well.

--- End quote ---

That’s what I used as well.

Ben, thanks for the link. I’m hoping to refinish mine myself. Not interested in leather

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version