Author Topic: Formula wheel resto  (Read 984 times)

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
Formula wheel resto
« on: June 26, 2023, 07:21:56 PM »
Starting this thread as a request for opinions and to detail my experience (hopefully).

Picked up a column for the right price recently which still had this wheel attached. Cleaned up better than I expected but the top, as you can see, is cracked. Curious as to suggestions to refinish this. Anyone tried?
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Formula wheel resto
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2023, 05:13:16 PM »
Well, I haven’t dug into the wheel yet. I did refinish a spare column I had that was kind of rough. I also decided to try my hand at a wrinkle finish on a spare hub and my hub off my car. (Also pulled my column for a new rag joint and refinish.)

I can say for the wrinkle finish I found the best approach was spraying it then using a heat gun to warm the hub and paint. This gave me the quickest and most even finish. This was after stripping each hub of course.  Pics of the finished products below along with the spare column. Still working on my column. Sorry I don’t have any good before pictures.

Trying to determine my approach on the wheel next
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 05:23:26 PM by b_hill_86 »
-Brian-

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2023, 07:04:15 PM »
I’m in the same boat… I know some other members have had theirs refinished by a female that restores them….don’t know her name. I’m looking to do mine, just don’t know the best approach.
 As for the steering hub, I used VHT wrinkle paint, worked very well.

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2023, 08:19:10 PM »
I’m in the same boat… I know some other members have had theirs refinished by a female that restores them….don’t know her name. I’m looking to do mine, just don’t know the best approach.
 As for the steering hub, I used VHT wrinkle paint, worked very well.

That’s what I used as well.

Ben, thanks for the link. I’m hoping to refinish mine myself. Not interested in leather
-Brian-

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2023, 08:19:10 PM »

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2023, 10:49:48 PM »
All good, simply for reference once mentioned. No need to recover if already fairly neat, and also a spare.

Maxthe222

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2023, 07:43:03 PM »
I've never liked the leather steering wheel covers, and only heard negative things about the reproduction steering wheels. But, my Y84's tan/gold steering wheel was always rough and looked very similar to yours. There was this YouTube video I watched a few years back (I can't seem to find it now) that showed the guy sanding the steering wheel down with various levels of sandpaper to smooth the cracks, he got this double tube glue stuff I got from the hardware store and massaged it into the cracks and bumpy spots on the wheel, and smoothed them over with like those rubber phoenix graphics decal applicators. Rinse and repeat until the exterior of the wheel is smooth and still rubbery/spongy, then wash, apply adhesion promoter, and then gently coat with a vinyl spray-paint and clearcoat. I did this years ago, and it was actually a pretty good fix and to this day has held up absolutely perfectly. Too bad I was too much of a rookie and impatient and I rushed the job, but if I had taken my time with it, and been a little more gentle, that would be a brand new Y84 SE steering wheel.
1987 T/A GTA L98
1979 T/A Y84 WS6
1979 F/A W72 WS6
1978 T/A L80 WS6
1978 Formula L80 W50
1971 Formula 400 4-Speed

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2023, 08:15:29 PM »
Max, I think I’m going to try something similar. Since my wheel is not majorly cracked nor missing any chunks, and based upon some reading I’ve been doing, I’m going to start less invasive and see where I end up then go from there. Any pics of your wheel finished?
-Brian-

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2023, 09:51:55 PM »
I used this to repair my center console, worked excellent. I might try it on the steering wheel to fill in all the small cracks, then SEM dye and clear. Unfortunately it’s going to have to wait until next month.

Maxthe222

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2023, 10:34:13 PM »
Any pics of your wheel finished?

I was about to say no, I didn't take any really good photos from before and after, but I actually did find some from when I received the wheel from Randy Combs and he literally didn't touch it. This is what my steering wheel used to look like when I first got it:

And this is the best image i have of it now:

SEM was a terrible match, and I spent a lot of time having a local paint shop mix a really good vinyl spray paint to match the steering wheel material originally.
1987 T/A GTA L98
1979 T/A Y84 WS6
1979 F/A W72 WS6
1978 T/A L80 WS6
1978 Formula L80 W50
1971 Formula 400 4-Speed

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2023, 11:34:13 PM »
Are you sure that's your pic, has sunnies in map pocket and you never take them off.

What did RC do, strip back centre and redo the clear yellow?

Unrelated, kinda, there's another steering wheel core on ebay now, of about 3, that are slotted to suit leather trim originally plus the extra spoke holes. This one is red and being sold as such, but obviously it could be any colour under the wrap. Looks to be TATA type, spokes look too smooth even after a few repaints.

Maxthe222

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2023, 02:28:48 AM »
Are you sure that's your pic, has sunnies in map pocket and you never take them off.

I've got a job waiting for my graduation, Fifty thou a year'll buy a lot of poverty pack Firebirds

RC did bananaes, I bought the wheel, sent it straight to him, got charged $70, and he literally did not touch it. He gave me my money back, but he had it for a while.
1987 T/A GTA L98
1979 T/A Y84 WS6
1979 F/A W72 WS6
1978 T/A L80 WS6
1978 Formula L80 W50
1971 Formula 400 4-Speed

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2023, 02:33:20 AM »
Ahh dammit, it's happened again. I've forgotten how to understand English.

Maxthe222

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2023, 02:35:23 AM »
Ahh dammit, it's happened again. I've forgotten how to understand English.

Or forgotten the Timbuk 3 hit involving shades!
1987 T/A GTA L98
1979 T/A Y84 WS6
1979 F/A W72 WS6
1978 T/A L80 WS6
1978 Formula L80 W50
1971 Formula 400 4-Speed

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2023, 02:38:36 AM »
I prefered their 2nd hit.

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2023, 02:38:36 AM »

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2023, 06:54:41 AM »
The wheel looks good man. I’m going to try duplicolors vinyl and fabric spray. Black makes it a bit easier
-Brian-

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2023, 09:08:34 AM »
I will tell you. I sprayer the black Duplicolor to stencil the name on my jetski seat and the vinyl grab handle on the seat a few years ago and man I am impressed. There has been no color fade and the grab handle/strap is stretchy and still looks great and it gets tons of use. I am really impressed, I really didn't think it would wear/hold up this well, especially it such a harsh environment.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2023, 09:50:22 AM »
Well that sounds promising. Once I get the paint later today I need to get my steering column reinstalled before I start messing with the wheel but I’ll post my progress
-Brian-

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2023, 01:26:56 PM »
A bit more progress between last night and today. I sprayed a couple very light coats of the SEM on the spokes to try not to fill the “grain”. They came out nicely I think.

Next, I’ve done some reading of a few (very few) other posts I found regarding refinishing a wheel. One suggested sanding through all of the dried/cracked material and one suggested several thick brushed on coats of the vinyl dye to basically fill the cracks. I opted to try to fill it first thinking if need be I can always sand more material away. So far I got 2 or 3 sprayed coats on last night. As you can see the flat areas look pretty good. The cracked areas are still rough of course. It’s surprising how much soaks in.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 01:19:06 PM by b_hill_86 »
-Brian-

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2023, 01:28:12 PM »
Today, I brushed on some thick coats followed by some sanding to smooth everything out a little followed by another sprayed coat. The pics below are after brushing on the dye and before sanding. You can see how it’s starting to fill the cracks some. I forgot to take pictures of the condition now.

I’m not sure what would be more work or work out better, trying to fill the cracks with dye or sanding down to the foam then spraying. I’d definitely use less if this dye by sanding first I suppose. I’m through probably 3/4 of a can.
-Brian-

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2023, 09:34:12 AM »
Last night after work I brushed on another thick coat. The first pic below is this morning with last nights coat dry. I then tried to sand everything as smooth as possible to see how far I could go getting the low spots out before getting to the wheel again. I was pleasantly surprised the area I brushed was very thick and I got nearly all of the low spots out and all of the cracks filled. Next pics are sanded as smooth as I was going to shoot for.

Lastly, I sprayed another couple thin coats to recover everything. It’s drying as we speak but so far I’m liking what I’m seeing. I could probably spend more time (and need another can of dye) filling and smoothing more for a near perfect finish but there’s nothing about my car that’s perfect so why start now? Lol.
-Brian-

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2023, 10:30:59 AM »
I’m calling this done for now. Really impressed with this vinyl and cloth dye/paint, whatever you want to call it. I guess longevity will be the deciding factor. Anyway, I plan to run this wheel for a bit before I refinish mine. Mine is a better starting candidate so it should be even better for less work.

Is it perfect? No but I’m pleased with it. Looks good with my refinished hub and column.

-Brian-

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2023, 10:32:09 AM »
More (too many pics for one post?)
-Brian-

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2023, 10:43:39 AM »
That came put really good. I'm not sure where you are finding yhe time either! Nice work!

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2023, 11:04:47 AM »
Thanks! Just chipping away here and there when I can
-Brian-

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2023, 11:04:47 AM »

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2023, 11:07:10 AM »
Very nice, I’ll probably follow your example.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2023, 05:36:46 AM »
Turned out great!

Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2023, 05:39:58 AM »
How I did my wrinkle paint on the collar. I sanded everything smooth. I used the vht wrinkle paint and the directions said it worked best if the part was heated. So I placed it on my pot heater for a few minutes then gave it a paint job. Very happy with the results.
2021-01-30_01-21-26 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
2021-01-30_01-21-38 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
2021-01-30_01-21-47 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
2021-01-30_01-21-55 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr2021-01-30_05-11-23 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2023, 08:58:36 AM »
Looks like you got a bit more wrinkle out of your paint than I did. Probably from preheating I’d guess. Using a heat gun definitely helped me out in my process. If I try it again I’d try heating it with the gun first then spray then maybe a bit more heat.
-Brian-

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2023, 08:08:01 PM »
Since Kerry is all set up I think he should do one for each of us! I picked up a repro hub unit, no reason. I didn't need one, or want one, and it's not better than what I have, it's just what I do! Anyway, can't comment on how solid it is compared to GM, or spline quality etc but the pebbled effect is very fine, almost non-existent, like 180 sandpaper and finer than Brian's version above, and still had to paint it a better shade of satin black. I also suspected it may be a lighter weight casting, or thinner side walls as where it has been clamped during machining has flattened areas. There's 6 cast braces inside for strength but this particular unit was clamped across the hollow section, poor workmanship. Others are probably fine, even with slightly thinner wall. I've only compared from photos as only GM unit I have is installed. So I'd say if ever needed that redoing an original is a worthwhile little project. I'll keep en eye out for another one, just because.

Also, wheel came out nicely Brian. I think it looks better than the attempt on PY a few days ago. It's also good, especially since just old wheels clean-up, very good, but I like the slight contrast between the black vinyl grip and the blackened spokes. His looked like it had been done in the same shade all over, there was so little variation and too much sheen.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 08:13:28 PM by Wallington »

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2023, 10:06:17 PM »
Thanks I appreciate it. I’m already getting the itch to try to perfect that wheel but in the meantime I’m running it on my car. Feels good in your hand and seems durable so far.
-Brian-

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2023, 08:31:40 AM »
Further to my ramblings about steering collar hub repros with flats where clamped, just saw a rough used GM one on ebay in the same condition. Shop around, or add extra crinkle!

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2024, 12:19:13 PM »
I’m revisiting this topic with an update on my experience. To recap, one wheel was a camel wheel I redid in black and the other was the wheel off my 77 I refinished. The formerly camel wheel ended up being a wall hanger and the other went back on my car. Unfortunately in the less than a years time, the finish on the foam started cracking. It’s not peeling but as you’ll see in the pictures it’s cracking quite a bit.

Untitled by Brian Hill, on Flickr

The bottom, you can see, didn’t crack as much. In fact it didn’t much at all.

This wheel is considerably softer than the other one so I’m not sure if that’s part of the issue or simply the difference between one being hung up and the other used.if I remember right Luke said he used this stuff on a jet ski seat and it held up well so I can’t see why this foam wheel would be any worse.

I’d left a review for the Duplicolor Fabric and Vinyl paint/dye, whatever you want to call it and it was less than favorable. They emailed me asking me to call them for an opportunity to make things right so I called this morning.

A woman answered and I told her I was calling as a result of leaving a review and being asked to call. She may have been having a bad day but she led with “Ok? I don’t have those in front of me” I said, you guys are the ones who asked me to call. She replied “Ok well what’s the issue then?” which I proceeded to explain. The told me foam isn’t a good candidate for this product because it’s “squishy” and that’s why they tell you to try an inconspicuous area first. I explained that this foam was fairly dense and doesn’t get “squished” much if at all under normal use. I  asked her how someone would expect to use this stuff on cloth or vinyl which is much more pliable and she said vinyl was a lot different than foam. Ok. She then told me it was probably because I didn’t let it dry long enough. I said “ma’am, this was fine when I did it last July until just recently.” Then she said “well it probably just wore off. It’s not a permanent solution that's going to last forever. Now I’m irritated and asked how they expected a customer to want to use a product that can’t last a year. She offered to refund my money for one can if I could provide a receipt. I told her she was enough help and I didn’t want a refund.

I hope like heck that’s not their actual position on their product and this lady either stunk at her job or was just having a bad day. I put the formerly camel wheel on to use this summer and see how it holds up. In the meantime I’m going to try to sand down the other wheel and use SEM this time and see how that works. A guy on another forum used that and seems to be happy with it.
-Brian-

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2024, 12:28:30 PM »
Thanks for the update. Sorry it didnt hold up better.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2024, 03:01:14 PM »
Brian, SEM was the brand I used to dye the jetski lettering and grab strap which is stretchy fabric/vinyl or something. When I pull it out of the barn soon I'll take a look at it again and post some pictures. It has been on there for at least 3 years now

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2024, 04:56:39 PM »
Ah ok, well maybe that explains it then lol.
-Brian-

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2024, 09:50:40 PM »
Fairly typical of when underlying sponge grip is softer and more flexible than the coating, so it gets hairline cracks in smaller panels that then allow it to flex. On the plus side, it probably won't get much worse, unless you push directly on a panel to see if it will flex or not! Still looks good. It may be the sheen that makes it more visible, hard to say. Perhaps one of those beeswax or leather creams wiped over it will soften slightly and give less sheen or blend any gaps.

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2024, 09:50:40 PM »
You can help support TAC!