Author Topic: Seat Upholstery install  (Read 444 times)

Oldsschool79

• Active Forum Member
Seat Upholstery install
« on: June 24, 2023, 05:19:16 AM »
Hello everyone, I am getting ready to install front and rear seat covers from PUI. I see many have placed seat cushion material over the existing seat cushions. Has anyone tried this and ddi it make a difference with the fit and comfort of the seat?
Thanks for any input, never did upholstery.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Seat Upholstery install
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2023, 02:50:39 PM »
Not sure what you mean by existing seat cushion material. I would not put a new cover over the existing covers, but the foam should be fine. However I used new foam on both of my front seats because I wanted everything new. I did the back seat on my car but was short on spare time and farmed out the fronts. The backs werent too bad, there used to be a how to video on f body warehouse if that still exists. Take your time, pay attention to the details and it shouldnt be too bad.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2023, 09:14:27 PM »
Often not a good idea, although probably easier. The old sponge is already filling the old covers so new covers will be loose and rippled in areas where the sponge would normally fill out. And often made worse by the fact the sponge often needs added packing again. Plus, you'd end up with piping ribs and similar in areas it wasn't before.

nas t eh

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2023, 09:51:20 AM »
F body warehouse has a number of videos I watched when doing my seats. That helped a lot. In one of them they reuse the old foam and add some extra foam where the old foam is worn out, so what you are thinking has been done.
1973 T/A 455, 4 speed.

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2023, 11:09:49 AM »
Yes, adding a few extras layers of sponge padding is fairly typical. The new covers are designed around a new cushion, not a 40 year old squashed one. The previous comments were about putting them over existing seat covers, which I'm sure wasn't the intended method asked but many have. If you look at other Firebirds with recovered seats, likely by the owner, often there's a few wrinkles and heavy creases. Usually, one each side in the base and similar towards the top shoulder area. This is where the covers are too big for the filling, the inner cushioning isn't being compressed or the cover not being pulled down tight enough when fastened. Same result.

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2023, 11:09:49 AM »