Author Topic: Guages, or poor wiring.  (Read 327 times)

Zach

• Active Forum Member
Guages, or poor wiring.
« on: May 25, 2023, 12:08:37 AM »
Howdy, I currently have a long standing issue that isn't harmful but is quite annoying. My main gauge cluster seems to be out of wack, tachometer reads high when at idle, temp gauge only works when at or above operating temperature, and oil gauge jitters. Tach only reads wrong when car is under 1000 rpm, this caused a huge headache when dialing the carb idle in, and the temperature gauge pegs itself out to max heat when the key is turned and the car is under operating temp, flicks back and works fine when above a certain temperature, oil gauge jitters inconsistently, speedometer seems to be working fine. I am wondering if this is simply some bad wires, I assume it is mostly original, or since everything seems to be out of wack in the cluster I should replace the main circuit board. Looking to here some responses, don't want to start ripping stuff out unless I get some more info. Thanks.
1977 #s W72 400 4 Speed Trans Am
1971 351c 4 Speed Mustang Mach 1

TA301

• Active Forum Member
Re: Guages, or poor wiring.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2023, 07:41:23 AM »
Have you removed the instrument cluster to check on the flex circuit board? If it is the original from the factory, then it must be replaced as by this time, it must have delamination problems which will cause the types of problems you are seeing. I just finished a full restoration of the dash and components in my 81 TA. Installed anew flex circuit board. All gauges work like new, including the clock.

Zach

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2023, 10:19:58 AM »
Have you removed the instrument cluster to check on the flex circuit board? If it is the original from the factory, then it must be replaced as by this time, it must have delamination problems which will cause the types of problems you are seeing. I just finished a full restoration of the dash and components in my 81 TA. Installed anew flex circuit board. All gauges work like new, including the clock.

Haven’t ripped into the dash at all yet. It hasn’t been changed in more than two decades that’s for sure. Not sure what original owners did prior. Just wanted some insight before I dig in since I assume it isn’t the easiest job. I’ll look into the circuit board.
1977 #s W72 400 4 Speed Trans Am
1971 351c 4 Speed Mustang Mach 1

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2023, 10:19:58 AM »
You can help support TAC!