Author Topic: Exterior door handles  (Read 5593 times)

Updated71

• Oracle Forum Member
  • TA Addiction
Re: Exterior door handles
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2023, 05:40:40 PM »
Dug out an old box from NPD of what is shaped like what I see on my car. I've had this for many years. It came with a box of parts I bought a while back. The part number still exists on their site.

It doesn't come with the clip or gasket. It does have the correct bolt threads it appears. The little bit of chrome I can see doesn't look at all as good as the Ames handle.  One issue is I'm comparing two different (early/later & r vs l) handle.

These one does have some casting numbers on it and isn't as clean from the back as the Ames version. No idea how far it would stick out compared to what is on my car now.
The surgeon general never said nuthin' 'bout smokin' the competition!

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2023, 04:54:22 AM »
Thanks for the pics. I have a large collection of photos and the door handles themselves, must have been before the crash, unless I never posted them. Will have to do a search now.

Updated71

• Oracle Forum Member
  • TA Addiction
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2023, 06:56:22 AM »
Thanks for the pics. I have a large collection of photos and the door handles themselves, must have been before the crash, unless I never posted them. Will have to do a search now.

Appreciate you starting these types of threads. Saves a lot of head scratching later on. Ideally, I should be measuring everything on each of those though.

The Ames one is nice minus the smaller nuts and washer without actually putting it onto the car. I'll at least try and get some on the car pics of the Ames and what is on the car now.  Not that I'm anti-chrome, but I would prefer a shorter flatter handle vs the longer bulky looking later one.

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2023, 02:52:23 AM »
The longer handles are 70-75.

Updated71

• Oracle Forum Member
  • TA Addiction
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2023, 04:15:58 AM »

Mine was definitely replaced at some point in the past. The ones on the car now don’t necessarily sit as flat as they likely should. I have the shorter version coming from Ames. When it arrives I’ll try and get a few on car pics.

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2023, 04:15:58 AM »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2023, 05:41:09 AM »
The handles I put on my car stuck up/not parallel to the door panel. I ground put the area that tye handle stop hit so they would retract more and sit flush. I'm not good at explaining this, hopefully you can see in this picture the area I ground out so the stop could move back more.

This hoe I finally got them to sit. These came from NPD but I order 3 sets from them amd every one was from a different supplier.  Granted they weren't ordered at the same time, different years but clearly they had different suppliers over about 5 years.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 05:44:14 AM by FormTA »
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2023, 07:37:28 AM »
Through at least 76? maybe 77?  My 77 had the longer handles but it also has a few leftover 76 bits as well. One of my pet peeves when I bought insert colour tape, it was too short! I figured how hard would it be to make it fit the longer handles and cut to fit the short ones?
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

TA301

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2023, 06:04:59 PM »
What is the length of those AMES door handles you are returning?

They are 6 3/16” at their widest point from the rear of the handle.

Thanks. The ones on my 1981 measure about 5.25 inches. Almost an inch shorter than the ones from AMES

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2023, 06:49:34 AM »
One of those items I can not figure on the logic to change the size. I know that there are minor changes made to cars over each model year, but changing the length of the door handles on the second gen doesnt make sense to me. I doubt anyone would ever notice, and why not keep a simple part like that consistent across the board. Unless it was made shorter to accommodate another GM branded vehicle by necessity.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2023, 07:06:28 AM »
I remember way back buying long coloured door handles decal and cutting to length, but can't recall if it was one length or I just bought long version. I'd do that anyway if similar price, cut to suit your own handles, they all differ.

I've noticed that as well, buy a few handles from same place and the castings differ even though same packet they come in, several suppliers. The other common fault over various types is the slight twist, as mentioned. All of those I noted have the larger gap on the non-spring end. One way to spot a better quality set is that by looking at the gap between the chrome handle back and the mounting plate is fairly even all the way along.

Yes, can see clearly you have ground extra clearance into the handle stop, allowing slightly more travel, or at least until it reaches new travel of linkages or door gasket.

I saved photos in the past of same mods, perhaps yours or perhaps even in this/similar threads.

Updated71

• Oracle Forum Member
  • TA Addiction
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2023, 08:00:54 AM »
New shorter Ames handle came in yesterday. Didn’t get a chance to look into it too much. Not hopeful at this point. This one too will not except the correct handle nuts. The threads are metric and would use a much smaller washer. Again, would not provide enough support for the handle in my opinion. Does anyone know the correct term for the OEM toothed Washer nut?

I’ll try and get some pictures later. It also feels quite a bit lighter than I remember.

Updated71

• Oracle Forum Member
  • TA Addiction
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2023, 09:05:52 AM »
Disregard.

So Ames doesn't show the aftermarket handle nut size.

NPD does though:

https://www.npdlink.com/product/outer-door-handle-fastener-kit-reproduction-handles-4-pc-kit/218158

It is listed in the wording. I'm guessing the press in studs are cheaper in metric.

The handle on my car now does appear to be an aftermarket but it accepts the correct toothed nut. These would provide correct support.

sreta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2023, 10:45:02 AM »
Maybe it's year related, but my '79 has original door handles with m6 nuts

Updated71

• Oracle Forum Member
  • TA Addiction
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2023, 11:22:48 AM »
Soooo from Camaro Central.

1970 - 1981 Camaro Outer Door Handle Mounting Hardware

New outside door handle mounting hardware set for your Camaro. Sold as a set of four flange nuts to mount both door handles. Our 70-75 outer door handles are sold with mounting hardware, however the 76 - 81 handles do not. These locking nuts will mount to most original (with metric studs) or aftermarket 70 - 81 Door Handles. GM started to use metric fasteners around 1973 so please check your studs before ordering.

Never knew this as all these years I've gotten lucky enough to have good handles and fasteners.  Wish I would've known this before multiple orders to Ames, NPD, etc. and here is why. Hopefully this one more thing to look for will help someone. Much cheaper to order the correct ones at the same time as everything else to save on shipping.

Updated71

• Oracle Forum Member
  • TA Addiction
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2023, 06:28:51 AM »
Form TA...thanks for the pics and suggestion.  Seems to be the way to go with aftermarket handles.

Finally. Pics of the new shorter handle from Ames:

Some quick notes. Chrome is ok. Out of the 4 handles I now have, none OEM, they all seem to differ slightly in with of the exterior handle 'arms' that attach to the back by the riveted bell stud.  No idea if this slight variance among them makes any difference. The one that was on my car was from Taiwan and had a thick rod attach arm then the one from Ames, it seemed to better match the old NPD I posted above. Again, no idea if these are still the same ones they carry now.

The chrome is the nicest on the Hugger Ames longer handle. It is also the one that seems to be nicer overall by far where you don't see...the rear. Everything is smooth and looks like it was cleaned up before being chromed.

The part FormTA mentions seems to grind seems to be slightly wider here when viewed from the side requiring a bit more to grind.

Also, that arm where the business happens, tapers on the Hugger handle and the old NPD. It isn't this way on my old handle.

The old handle only has a # 7 on it and the letters TIAWAN. No idea on origin.

I won't be keeping the longer Hugger handle as I prefer the shorter handle. No idea how it would fit on the car.  If I did want the original look, this is the nicest one in fit and finish in hand IMO.

I did put the replacement handle on last night but didn't get a pic. Overall, it fits like the one that came off. I'll do the mod above and hopefully get some better pics later in the week.

Not very informative as Ideally, I'd try all of the handles on the car and include measurements, but feel free to ask and I'll see where I can accommodate. 

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2023, 06:28:51 AM »

You can help support TAC!