Author Topic: Gauge cluster lens  (Read 1003 times)

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Gauge cluster lens
« on: January 27, 2023, 09:10:25 PM »
Has anyone bough the new gauge cluster clear lens set? Not sure what the brand is but believe it all to be the same piece. Have a close look at the clock adjuster stem hole, is there a small crack? I'm told 'they all have a crack there' yet have not seen one mention of this from ads or buyers.

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Former brake guy
Re: Gauge cluster lens
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 10:25:02 PM »
My 2016 GMC has a small crack there too, as do a lot of cars I have seen.

81Blackbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 03:54:28 AM »
I didn't have a crack on my set when I bought them about 3 years back.  I had to carefully match up the hole, then pilot drill the hole until it was the right size.

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 04:05:52 AM »
These are the reproductions, hole already in place as comes with the rally gauge set also. Haven't seen a plain set for those without the small clock or the large clock instead of tacho.
10 years back I bought a new lens, assumed it was GM stock but wasn't clear on that or a reproduction at the time. I think I had to drill the hole for that one.

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 07:17:16 PM »
Apparently, this crack is on 'all of them'. They knew exactly what I was referring to, yet unlike them, I wouldn't be able to sell the thing without mentioning it. And of course, it wouldn't sell at all as a result. The clear plastic does have a grainy look to it when looking through at distant objects, would not be an issue with a gauge set. Factory lens may be exactly the same or worse, I could disassemble my good set on the car but not sure what the effort would achieve other than 10 seconds of extra post reading for someone!

Firebird gauge lens set clock adjuster crack (1) by Ben, on Flickr

Firebird gauge lens set clock adjuster crack (2) by Ben, on Flickr

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 07:17:16 PM »

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 07:20:22 PM »
I wonder if that crack could be filled somehow
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2023, 08:28:51 PM »
As long as it isn't flexed to see if and how far it will grow. May not be visible inside a cabin, may be more visible. Who knows. If they are all like that then it goes back to quality control and production errors punching the hole through faster than it was being drilled. They weren't cheap either. Would have perhaps been better to come with a template that lays over the top of possible hole locations and drill your own.

Also, just compared. The reproductions lenses are definitely not as clear as the originals. I have a mint used set. I can read a magazine cover through it clearly across the room through it, the reproduction makes it look fuzzy. The clarity isn't as crisp, they just have less scratches.

And for what it's worth, my originals are better condition than the new repros. The rally set need mounting bosses filed down for the retainers to clip into place. The main cluster lens is definitely nowhere near as clear and hazy. It needs a polish out of the pack but I doubt it will be clear enough to use. The original does not have a cracked clock adjuster hole either.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 02:48:38 AM by Wallington »

wheels78ta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2023, 02:23:59 PM »
I bought the OER lens set from Classic Ind.  It does not have the hole drilled for the clock stem. 
Willie

1978 Gold Y88 4 spd W72 WS6 project
1987 K5 Blazer---The Crawler
2006 Chevy Silverado Z71----Hers
2005 Chevy Suburban 2500---The Hauler

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2023, 05:40:35 PM »
Interesting. Not sure if this one is specific to TPP or just another vendor of same item. This one actually has a TPP cast part number but wouldn't be surprised if that's just added to existing tooling. China does that all the time.

Edit: Just been looking at OER lenses and the first few ads that pop up all show the TPP casting letters, whatever that means.

Not sure who produced one 10yrs ago, to ID the one I have now. I guess I could compare to used lenses I have to see if identical or any numbers to say GM or other.

Edit: it has the original GM part number and it was sold to me as NOS at the time so assume that to still be correct. I had to drill the hole.

I took some photos, but hard to see differences compared to actually looking.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 05:50:44 PM by Wallington »

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2023, 11:14:28 PM »
Some quick comparison pics of the reproduction OER/The Parts Place gauge lens set vs used original GM. (Actually took a fair amount of time, most pics unsuitable and outside is dark and stormy today!)

The flash makes everything look horrible, still had to get angle right to avoid reflection. The pics are after polishing the new lenses twice, they had an almost satin sheen prior. It may have slightly improved clarity but not much. The smaller rally lens is twice as clear as the main cluster lens round ends, the centre is clearer for whatever reason.

Repro main cluster reflection, hazy and grainy, muddy appearance at distance. Second pic is used GM, more tiny scratches but improved clarity.

Firebird main gauge cluster lens repro TPP hazy by Ben, on Flickr

Firebird main gauge cluster original better clarity by Ben, on Flickr

Repro rally gauge lens reflection, clearly muddy. Second pic is used GM, improved clarity.

Firebird rally gauge lens repro TPP hazy grainy by Ben, on Flickr

Firebird rally guage lens orignal GM better clarity by Ben, on Flickr

Used GM at top with more frosted mounts vs repro rally gauge lens. Both before polishing.

Firebird rally gauge lenses orignal GM top repro TPP lower (1) by Ben, on Flickr

Firebird rally gauge lenses orignal GM top repro TPP lower (2) by Ben, on Flickr

Here's where the repro kinda fails, but easily fixed. The cast mounts are thicker than the GM mounts. The push retainer pins only go mostly the way in rather than all the way and don't feel as secure as a result.

Blurry pic but shows repro much thicker mounting ears, can't do much with these at the base. They can be filed but much more work.

Firebird rally gauge lenses TPP thicker boss GM right by Ben, on Flickr

The tops are still thicker than GM but also have the small raised casting edges on the left. These can be filed down carefully, don't scratch the lens...

Firebird rally gauge lenses TPP left with raised casting to file off GM right by Ben, on Flickr

Not terribly clear but the two raised edges are now filed flush with mounting face allowing lens to mount flush also. The pins are more of a click into place like the GM, at least on the top. This was not the case prior.

Firebird rally gauge repro lens TPP filed boss casting for retainers (1) by Ben, on Flickr

Firebird rally gauge repro lens TPP filed boss casting for retainers (2) by Ben, on Flickr

And just for kicks, 2 quick pics of the repro lens on the rally gauge set. I still swapped the GM lens back after.

Firebird rally gauge repro lens test fit TPP (1) by Ben, on Flickr

Firebird rally gauge repro lens test fit TPP (2) by Ben, on Flickr
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 11:17:40 PM by Wallington »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2023, 07:15:33 AM »
2023-01-30_08-13-29 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

Hate to hear this. I bought a set about a year ago along with the correct package tray for my 79. Here they are still boxed up in the corner of my office. Another of those I suppose I should open it up and see if all of the stuff is in there and its correct  :shock:

I did buy new for my 77 a few years ago and that one was fine.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2023, 04:56:44 PM »
What's up with the pic Kerry?

Regards, Jack

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2023, 06:47:02 AM »
I was showing where my gauge cluster lenses are. They are in the tall box in the corner. I ordered them from ames about a year ago along with a package shelf (to replace the wrong one that was sent). Hence why such a large box. My office is my 'receiving' room for deliveries. Unfortunately I have a habit of setting the boxes off to the side. If I know what I have ordered and dont need it right away I wont bother to open. This one has been in my office for a year now unopened. I can only assume it has the right stuff inside. Beside it on the little desk is the box with my steering wheels, on the opposite side of the room I have a small pile of boxes with parts. I am very organized at dis-organization! One of the problems with this 'system' is that on occasion I find myself ordering repeat parts :shock:
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2023, 06:49:33 AM »
After looking back at the pic, I will add that in the extreme foreground is a box of exhaust manifolds that one of our esteemed members sent to me to help get my motor finished some day. I am sure he recognized the box, LOL. I still havent had time to take them to the builder, perhaps I can do so today.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2023, 07:08:29 AM »
I get excited by every new item or bag of rusty bolts and clips that arrives, especially if have no immediate use for. Within half hour of delivery, the box is opened, they are photographed from every angle just in case, and have been descaled and soaking in rust converter or similar. And that's if I'm busy with other things to finish!

I have a few brand new parcel trays stored as well. They are the PUI type, I needed one, but bought a few as could ship in same box. The idea was to sell locally at a fraction of the price and had 2 guys already wanting one each. One collected, one didn't. But I only wanted one as a template to cut my own board from and redo that area. So my own board other than being traced, was slipped back into the bag and remains there, in all it's mismatched tan glory that no model used. Not worth the effort or the money I'd get for them to even bother to dig out, and everyone here wants a bargain and expect international shipping costs don't exist when already in the country and someone else paid for it! But I digress, even the cheapest and nastiest part, known at the time, served its purpose perfectly. Plus, they often came with lovely oversized flat boxes for storing trim and custom parcel trays later!

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2023, 07:08:29 AM »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2023, 10:43:04 AM »
I thought maybe one of those boxes was my interior trim panel  :P
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2023, 11:07:45 AM »
That one made it to the barn Luke!

I ordered the first package tray over the phone. I was talking to the guy at Ames about something backordered and said 'oh by the way I need a package tray for a TATA'. He took my cc info and placed the order. I DID open that one and it was nothing at all what I expected, not even close to original. I called and the response was that they have a cheaper one and one that is correct. They sent me the cheap one which was a piece of cardboard painted silver. So, the return shipping was as much as the product. I order what is supposed to be the correct one ( I guess I should have opened the box to check  :???:) still have the other.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2023, 06:47:44 PM »
Is that the mesh-top version on the TATA?

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2023, 08:02:34 PM »
Kerry, a while back I recall seeing a picture with TA steering wheels mounted on the wall of your shop. I thought it made nice garage wall art.
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2023, 06:13:47 AM »
Yes TATA had a mesh package tray. I hope that is what they shipped me last year  :shock: :shock:

Larry, I do have a few extra steering wheels, I had to take them off the wall in my shop to make room for a shelf. Now theyre sitting on the shelf :???:

I have a TATA hood original paint, but rough. I want to put it up on the wall, my son gave me a Pontiac flag for Christmas. In my mind I am seeing the hood, the steering wheels and flag on the wall for decorations of some sort. Just need to get that ever elusive roundtuit.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter