TAC Tech > Number Crunching

77 S. E. help

(1/3) > >>

roadking77:
I am engaged in a friendly conversation with a fellow about a 77 trans am. Unfortunately he has since sold the car so many of the details will remain unknown. It was a black 77 trans am with s.e. striping. His story is that he bought it from the original owner in Canada that he has known for many years. The car was supposedly VERY low mile original condition. It was improperly stored in a barn, tires flat, brakes froze, things rusted etc. Which 1. had me question why someone would stow away a car with 3 miles! and not do it properly. The car had standard black grilles, and the window trim was polished aluminum not black. It also looked like the t top surround trim was aluminum coloured and not black. I could not verify other details, cowel tag etc.
His argument is that it indeed was a special edition car and that some if not all Canadian cars did not have gold grilles. He had no answer for the window trim.
Does anyone know if this could be? 

firebirdparts:
He's 100% wrong.  Made it all up.

It's certainly possible that a real SE could come down the assembly line and somebody put the wrong grille on by mistake, and somebody else put the wrong windshield trim on by mistake, and then it's possible to got hauled to Hurst at Brighton and they put the wrong t-tops in it by mistake.  If those things all occurred, then it would just all need to be corrected, because it's ugly.  You wouldn't pay all that extra dough for a less attractive car.  In Pete McCarthy's book on racing (oddly enough) he wrote "there's correct and there's original.  There are no allowances for original" and that's right.

Wallington:
Everyone with a black car wanted the gold trim, pin striping was all the rage so added it.

roadking77:
Thank you for the validation. Its a moot point now as he insists that it was an S.E., for whatever reason I do not know as all he did was flip the car. At this point I think I could say the sky is blue and get an argument, LOL. His reasoning is that Canadian Pontiacs were different from their American counterpart. This much I agree with, however correct me if Im wrong but I thought that ALL Trans Ams in 1977 were built in Norwood Ohio. Unlike other Canadian Pontiacs that were built in that country.

firebirdparts:
All 1977 Firebirds were built in Norwood Ohio.

There weren't any "Canadian Firebirds" in the old days, which was a bit of problem for Trans Am Racing (you couldn't run the excellent Chevy 302).  They did have certain export-related things they did for a Canadian car.

Really, it's just an example of the stuff people make up.  And they believe it, too.  No self-awareness about the fact that he just made it up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version