Author Topic: morris classic seat belts  (Read 352 times)

jk79ta

• Active Forum Member
morris classic seat belts
« on: September 02, 2022, 11:18:42 AM »
I was wondering if anybody has got seat belts from Morris Classic Concepts? Quality, fit, appearance etc.

Joe

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: morris classic seat belts
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2022, 01:07:39 PM »
I can't comment much other than that they no longer supply the GM logo buttons due to licensing issues. They appear to be the closest out there to original belts, for 78-81 models at least. There are differences, annoyingly for some, those differences don't need to be there in some cases. They also offer a rear 3-point belt option but retractor is on parcel shelf, may be seen as a safety upgrade even though not strictly original in appearance or to early 3-point option which should have evolved and been retained by GM. The front seatbelt stalks at console appear to be 1" longer than stock and the sleeves are not to original style, largely unseen but the visible tops are also where many differences are apparent. The side belt mounts next to the seat have no covers at all, and do not have the bolt hole to add the factory covers. The webbing is/was current 7-panel standards, as opposed to 4-panel. The buckles had black pebbled covers, regardless of webbing colour, or even if they are the deluxe version that should have used smooth chrome. For legal purposes, they claim they don't interchange with used GM belts, but are copied off them, so may work if tested. But I don't have a set, I only investigated them and found that while popular with many, still weren't a legal swap here in Aus.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 09:11:06 PM by Wallington »

Updated71

• Oracle Forum Member
  • TA Addiction
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 05:39:34 AM »
The rear parcel shelf design for the rear may help some with minitubs. I have the tubs and am told their belts will work though I have no personal experience. The factory rears do not work now.

I agree on the receptacle sleeve being too long. Due to the molded ends, I didn't see an easy way to shorten them.
The surgeon general never said nuthin' 'bout smokin' the competition!

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 06:33:02 AM »
I'm also talking about the overall length of the belt, not just the sleeve and the way it swallows the receiver Corvette style. There was a comparison post on a forum showing they were about an inch longer that GM, so likely around 11" long, vs F-body 10", and fullsize GM 12".

jk79ta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2022, 01:13:48 PM »
Thanks guys. I was afraid about the buckles. I'd like to keep it as stock as possible. Doesn't sound like these would be a choice, at least for me. Mine are OK I guess, just would like to have an option if one comes up.

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2022, 01:13:48 PM »

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2022, 01:58:31 PM »
I have the front and rear 3 point belts.  Overall pretty happy with them other than having the driver side retractor needing to be replaced once.  I bought mine when they still had the GM license, which actually was the only reason I really bought them from Morris.  They do have pretty good customer service as well - small family owned operation.

Still debating painting the rear retractor tan that’s up on the parcel shelf.

Darryl

'77 black TA Hardtop LS3 / 4L70E swap
Build thread:
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61066

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2022, 01:58:31 PM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!