Author Topic: Blower motor difference  (Read 364 times)

Warren Seale

• Active Forum Member
Blower motor difference
« on: August 10, 2022, 11:55:12 AM »
I have to replace the 40+ year old HVAC blower motor in my 79.  I want to use GM or ACDELCO parts.  I found out that there are two choices.  One is made in China and the other in Canada.  The one made in China uses ACDELCO part number 15-80213 and is available at any ACDELCO outlet (which is just about everywhere).  The one made in Canada uses GM part number 88959521 and is available only at GM parts outlets (aka dealers).  The Canadian motor cost is almost 2x the Chinese version.  Both part numbers cross very closely and you can easily mix up one for the other if you are not vigilant.  Once again using ACDELCO parts these days does not mean you are getting a high quality product.
79 T/A,WS6,403,A3
96 T/A,WS6(#1344),M6
72 442,W30,A3
96 Vette Grand Sport convertible (#713),F45,LT4,M6
13 427 Vette convertible (#1425),Z30/Z25,M6

81Blackbird

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Blower motor difference
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2022, 03:04:58 AM »
I had to replace mine a few months ago.  The part came from one of the local auto parts store.  I had a choice between the blower motor with and without the cage.  I bought the one with the cage.  I installed it but when I went to
install the vent tube I couldn't get it to connect correctly.  Took it out and put the old one in and it hooked up without and problems.  The hole in the motor, come to find out was clocked incorrectly.  After reading the reviews, I
found that the unit with the cage will not sit correctly.  The unit without the cage works fine.  For some reason there is a position change with the cage that doesn't allow the vent tube to hook up correctly.  So I just took the old
cage off and mounted to the new motor and it all worked out fine.  So, if you get one with or without a cage make sure the hole for the vent tube is in the correct position. 

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2022, 03:53:42 AM »
And AC vs non-AC blower motors are also different, and have different locating holes on the plate too.

81Blackbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2022, 05:52:04 AM »
Reminds me of the square vs. round CO2 Scrubbers on Apollos 13.  Lets have two production lines in stead of one
that performs the same function.  Good info.  :D

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2022, 05:52:04 AM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!