Author Topic: NOS vs Reproduction  (Read 4953 times)

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: NOS vs Reproduction
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2024, 04:11:27 AM »
A few quick pics. I picked up a set of the 76-78 nosecone upper support brackets #527359. The 74-75 models used an earlier version #492636 which had a shorter slot, replaced by the later version.

I'm not sure who makes them, they were supplied by Firebird Central. Firstly, they look neat and dimensions are very good. I'd already spotted an issue straight out of the pack. The channel sides are a much tighter fold, not curved, may not be as solid as a result but both were flimsy anyway. Plain, no stamped details.

Firebird repro 527359 nosecone support brackets (2) by Ben, on Flickr
Firebird repro 527359 nosecone support brackets (4) by Ben, on Flickr

Here's the issue, the bend shown on a NOS piece. The radiator support on these cars is not vertical, leans forward, and the brackets should match this. Not only does this give an incorrect angle at the bolting face to the fibreglass inner support, it also sits the entire nosecone lower than it should be by about the size of the already enlongated hole.
NOS GM 527359 Firebird 76-78 nosecone support bracket 3 by Ben, on Flickr

And here's the repro just sitting loosely next to originals on my car. The bend doesn't loose quite as much but the repro was also balancing and not sitting quite as flush, you get the idea. Now to try and sell them.
Firebird 527359 nosecone brackets stock vs repro (4) by Ben, on Flickr
Firebird 527359 nosecone brackets stock vs repro (2) by Ben, on Flickr
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 08:42:41 PM by Wallington »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2024, 11:14:18 AM »
I love this thread. Hopefully others can contribute to it!
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2024, 03:45:00 PM »
That was the plan, save buying and shipping so much rubbish that can't be sold on for what it cost. Especially if they read the review.

To me this thread is a collection of how much money I've wasted buying trivial parts I didn't need 'just for interest'. It didn't take off as I'd hoped, trying to learn things but also create something others can contribute to.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 08:47:30 PM by Wallington »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2024, 05:11:20 AM »
Unfortunately I haven't had to buy anything in recent years and I mostly used nice original pieces on my car. The only aftermarket parts I used were door handles, door stikers and the center console lid. I don't think I have the pictures anymore but the door handles I got from OER were absolute junk but I had a set u bought years prior and forgot I had them (I have hundreds of parts) . These were also OER buy totally different, different from the other OER and different from my originals but I was able to make them work and they seem to be holding up. The OER striker was also completely useless, it was too long and hit the actual door... I ended up going through my parts and using original strikers that I cleaned up. The oer center console lid was the only pice I used but the black color is a bit off from the original black console. It's not as black, you would think the original part would have faded but it looks the other way around.  I may dye it but it isn't too bad and doesn't bother me too much.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 11:26:55 AM by FormTA »

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2024, 05:36:26 AM »
From memory OER and a few other main brands and suppliers used 2-3 different brands or castings for their door handles. It may have changed again now or stock was previously mixed. The door handle thread covered a lot of this. After getting several 'different' brands and finding half were the same casting repackaged or rebranded, I found a couple that were decent in quality, chrome and didn't have the twist out of the box. Of course, when I ordered another set I ended up with one of the next lot matching and the other being another casting. So I ordered a third time and eventually won. Winning also means having a tub full of brand new and overpriced poor quality door handles that we don't mention!

« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2024, 05:36:26 AM »

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2024, 12:48:52 AM »
I had to ship a used set of body louvre vents around the world at great expense because it was easier than asking anyone to open a door or remove a single screw. Yes, there's clear differences why the OER version doesn't fit. I won't post pics, no one gives a doo doo^.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2024, 11:28:56 AM »
Did you ask for pictures of them or something? If so I missed it. I have a box somewhere with a few original door vents.... Sorry

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2024, 11:28:56 AM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!