Author Topic: 1981 TA - Stock suspension, need new shocks  (Read 1318 times)

Wildcatter

• Active Forum Member
1981 TA - Stock suspension, need new shocks
« on: May 31, 2022, 06:17:20 PM »
My car looks like it’s sitting on its ass, aftermarket air shocks finally failed. I see many people swear by Koni’s and Bilsteins but I was wanting a step up from OEM in terms of quality. What do y’all recommend and rides good and makes the cars stance look good? How’s KYB? I see the standard and then the high pressure monos.

Keep in mind:Im about to replace my wheels with a Classic Industrie 17x9”. Likely going with 255/50/17 because I hear the 275/40/17’s may look small. I didn’t want to have to make any adjustment to any roll bars or spacers.

I hate to replace my tires/wheels and then the tires rub as I drive out of the tire shop.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: 1981 TA - Stock suspension, need new shocks
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 08:12:22 PM »
Shocks are not used to hold the car off the ground, replace the worn leaf springs.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 08:18:29 PM »
I have the KYB (whatever NPD sells) I think they are standard. They are OK but seem a little too tight for my liking.  I just bought air shock but have yet to install them. Based off the another forum members recommendation to soften up the semi stiffness.  I know Tom (the other forum member) has tried a few other shocks as well  but settled on the air. I have the 17x9 snowflakes and the Pro touring F body GT rear spring.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 09:19:42 PM »
I have the KYB (whatever NPD sells) I think they are standard. They are OK but seem a little too tight for my liking.  I just bought air shock but have yet to install them. Based off the another forum members recommendation to soften up the semi stiffness.  I know Tom (the other forum member) has tried a few other shocks as well  but settled on the air. I have the 17x9 snowflakes and the Pro touring F body GT rear spring.

Would you describe your KYBs in the rear as bouncy? I put 4 new KYBs on my car a few years ago and my rear end seems a bit bouncy for lack of a better term.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 06:18:22 AM »
Not bouncy per say and not harsh but not as soft as I would like. It's really hard for me to explain... I have the matching ones in the front and they seem fine. It's the rear that in my mind is slow to move, like too thick of fluid or the holes the fluid move through are too small. It doesn't seem to let the suspension move to absorb dips. I really feel everything.  I understand it won't be like it was stock with the 15s and stock springs but I think it can be better.  The right thing to do would be to just pony up the dough for double adjustable rear shocks and just tune them to my liking but I am cheap..... I let Tom spend the money and time trying shocks so I didn't have too  8) . I hope these air shocks are softer and control the jounce I'm after.

Sorry for the log winded probably difficult to understand explanation....
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 06:18:22 AM »

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2022, 06:29:17 AM »
The rear end is light, the shocks need to be softer than most vehicles or the ride will not be terrible good, or the handling. Sagging springs and soft springs are often opposites, regardless of shocks.

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2022, 06:52:17 AM »
Not bouncy per say and not harsh but not as soft as I would like. It's really hard for me to explain... I have the matching ones in the front and they seem fine. It's the rear that in my mind is slow to move, like too thick of fluid or the holes the fluid move through are too small. It doesn't seem to let the suspension move to absorb dips. I really feel everything.  I understand it won't be like it was stock with the 15s and stock springs but I think it can be better.  The right thing to do would be to just pony up the dough for double adjustable rear shocks and just tune them to my liking but I am cheap..... I let Tom spend the money and time trying shocks so I didn't have too  8) . I hope these air shocks are softer and control the jounce I'm after.

Sorry for the log winded probably difficult to understand explanation....

No it makes sense. Maybe similar to my experience. I would agree though I’m satisfied with the front set. Hopefully your air shocks make an improvement.
-Brian-

Wildcatter

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2022, 03:38:45 PM »
Sounds like it need to take the car in to have them look at it. Thanks for the tips.

Ok the KYB’s are they the standard ones? What color are they?

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2022, 04:18:29 PM »
Mine are grey/silver if I remember correctly.
-Brian-

Wildcatter

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2022, 08:00:43 PM »
How can you tell the leaf springs need changing? I have a 3” clearance from the wheel fender to the top of the tire where it would rub. Here’s what I see under the car.

kentucky yeti

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • located in western Ky
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2022, 05:26:12 AM »

... and my rear end seems a bit bouncy for lack of a better term.

"Watch your language in front of my young son."   This is a family-friendly site  :lol:
Mike (aka Yeti)

1977 Y82 W72 Auto
2015 F-150 Lariat 4x4 (twin turbo)
2016 Explorer Limited
2012 Mustang

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2022, 05:32:04 AM »

... and my rear end seems a bit bouncy for lack of a better term.

"Watch your language in front of my young son."   This is a family-friendly site  :lol:

:D Gave me a good chuckle this morning.
-Brian-

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2022, 07:37:53 PM »
Before the site crashed, at one point there was a thread on this same subject....You might look into this.... https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/leaf-spring-rearching-services/

Wildcatter

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2022, 10:01:17 PM »
Before the site crashed, at one point there was a thread on this same subject....You might look into this.... https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/leaf-spring-rearching-services/

Oh Wow. Is this why people change over to coil overs ?

langss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2022, 10:46:49 PM »

Oh Wow. Is this why people change over to coil overs ?
I can't speak for why people change to coil overs,as that for me is a long way off....But I do know that it offers a lot of options the factory stuff does not....That being said...It also carries an expense, I would find hard to justify unless someone did a lot more than drive the car to shows or on the weekends....that is unless money is no option....

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2022, 10:46:49 PM »

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
    • https://www.protouringf-body.com
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2022, 05:30:01 PM »
The obsession with coil overs is purely infatuation with racy looking parts and believing they have magical powers.
one thin to realize is that the bushings in the control arms and leaf springs are worn out, shocks will not be the answer, but obviously you need new ones.
KYB   are inexpensive but the compression valving is higher and tend to make for a rough ride.
Bilstein   have a lot of rebound valving, this would be good with stiffer springs or 100% perfect bushings and springs.
Koni   I do not have any data on I have yet to dyno a set.   
https://www.protouringf-body.com/ your source for making your Trans am do what it does best!......SHOW OFF!

BAD2000TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2022, 10:48:45 AM »
When I bought my 1980 T/A SE, it needs shocks badly. I opted for the Bilsteins. Very happy with my choice. I have them on my 2001 also.

1980 Trans Am Y84 SE, WS6, 455, Sniper EFI, T-tops
2001 Trans Am WS6, 6-speed, Stroked LS6 (383), Custom Comp Cam, LS6 heads, Strange 60
"That's an attention-getter"

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2022, 10:48:45 AM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!