Author Topic: Sniper EFI with Hyperspark idle problem  (Read 869 times)

SoupMan

• Active Forum Member
Sniper EFI with Hyperspark idle problem
« on: May 05, 2022, 02:44:09 PM »
Guys,

I've had the sniper EFI for a few years now. Decided to upgrade the setup with a Hyperspark along with the control and coil. Install was easy. Last night for the first time I got the car to run with the hyperspark in place. I did however have to set the idle screw a few turns for it to idle. I figured I get the idle sorted out while hot and then it would just be all good like it was before but it's once again hard to start (impossible without getting a few turns of the idle screw).

Currently I've got the idle spark disabled (as recommended for early idle tuning) and I have the cranking timing set to 15 with the idle timing set to 12.  It shows sign of life and just dies right away.

If you have any advice I'm all ears. 

Forgot to add. Pontiac 455, Edelbrok intake, 6x-8 heads and Xe274 cam.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 03:05:39 PM by SoupMan »

SoupMan

• Active Forum Member
Re: Sniper EFI with Hyperspark idle problem
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 09:12:20 PM »
Update.

As of right now I'm suspecting a EMI issue. I'll post updates for others to see should they encounter similar issues. I'm redoing all my grounds and wiring to ensure the cleanest possible  power.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 03:32:49 PM »
Sorry for being dumb here, but what is a EMI?
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 04:16:37 PM »
EMI , Electro magnetic interference.

Soupman, I can offer a couple suggestions. Make sure all you electrical connections are good. I installed a FAST EFI system on my TA, the manufacturer insists that the power and ground connectors go directly to the battery, not a terminal strip, fuse block or buss bar. You don’t want any voltage drop that could be caused by any electrical accessory. The battery kind of acts as a large capacitor insuring you have stable voltage. Also with EFI you could be putting a higher load on the cars charging system than what the alternator is capable of producing. A factory 70 amp alternator might only put out 35 amps at idle. The ECU, electric fuel pump, capacitive ignition system, electric cooling fans (if you have them) is all additional load. Also if you do add a higher capacity alternator make sure to run a heavier gage wire from the alternator to the battery, I think factory only came with a 12 gage wire.
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

SoupMan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2022, 08:51:03 AM »
5th T/A,

Been working with some folks on the Holley site. I spent 10 - 15 hours redoing all my wiring. Found a few things that weren't great but I'm now in a position to say wiring is good with 99% confidence. My wires were going directly to the battery. They aren't going direct anymore since I've moved them to a post fed by a 1/0 gauge wires. As for alternator, I have a power master that produces up to 150A. When the engine runs I'm getting a solid 14v to 14.2v.

I'm pretty confident my problem is EMI or bad switched power since the datalogs often show weird data points the holley people tell me are sign of EMI.

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2022, 08:51:03 AM »

SoupMan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 10:32:32 AM »
Well,

I feel like an idiot now. I purchased a set of HEI wires 4 years ago so I just turned a blind eye to the possibility of the plug wires being wrong. Today I went and looked at one of the left over off-cuts and they clearly are NOT HEI. This looks like a the product may have been re-boxed. So these wires were fine with the old distributor but with the more powerful ignition coil it's probably making a massive EMI mess.

I'll find out tomorrow if that is truly the issue as I will receive my new wires. Oh well. Live and learn... Appears to be move learning lately :)

olds403

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 10:46:57 AM »
Accel ceramic wires.  I am using AEM ECU.  No issues. 
They are expensive but…..
1979 Trans Am (Red)
1979 10th Anniversary Trans Ams (Dads)
2023 Mercedes E63s AMG Special Order

SoupMan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2022, 09:50:53 AM »
Good news is I got it working Saturday. The adventure was positive overall except for the Holley support which was slow.

I replaced plug wires, plugs. Applied dielectric grease on all boots. I reworked a lot of the wiring, increased grounds sizes and ensure they were good. Cleaned the alternator terminals and re-twisted the RPM signal from the magnetic pickup to the sniper.

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2022, 09:50:53 AM »
You can help support TAC!