Author Topic: Starting Interior restoration  (Read 10075 times)

kentucky yeti

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • located in western Ky
Re: Starting Interior restoration
« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2022, 12:39:36 PM »
The gauges are awesome!
Mike (aka Yeti)

1977 Y82 W72 Auto
2015 F-150 Lariat 4x4 (twin turbo)
2016 Explorer Limited
2012 Mustang

rkellerjr

• Oracle Forum Member
  • When you turn your car on does it return the favor
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2022, 06:41:12 AM »
Well, interior is getting close to being really done. I've added a few touches to it pictured below. New cup holder, console lid, and dash mat.  The gauges aren't in yet, hard to pull the car off the road during the summer but I'll post a pic when done.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2022, 01:54:52 PM »
I kinda like the cup holder  :? Def come in handy at times. My wife has been riding with me more the last couple of months than ever before and every time she gets in the car she complains about no cup holders (and she is the type of person that brings a drink -water- whenever she goes out). I just detailed her Mustang a few weeks ago inside and out, she tells me, 'Oh, by the way I spilled my starbucks all over the inside of the car the other day'! So, No cup holders in the TA mean no mess!!
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

kentucky yeti

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • located in western Ky
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2022, 04:48:19 AM »
The car is looking really good, Rich.
Mike (aka Yeti)

1977 Y82 W72 Auto
2015 F-150 Lariat 4x4 (twin turbo)
2016 Explorer Limited
2012 Mustang

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2022, 06:40:53 AM »
That is a nice cup holder, comes in really handy especially with cars without AC.

Regards, Jack

« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2022, 06:40:53 AM »

rkellerjr

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2022, 07:08:35 AM »
I kinda like the cup holder  :? Def come in handy at times. My wife has been riding with me more the last couple of months than ever before and every time she gets in the car she complains about no cup holders (and she is the type of person that brings a drink -water- whenever she goes out). I just detailed her Mustang a few weeks ago inside and out, she tells me, 'Oh, by the way I spilled my starbucks all over the inside of the car the other day'! So, No cup holders in the TA mean no mess!!

hahaha, well, I'm usually the only one in the car so just me to blame.

The car is looking really good, Rich.

Thanks Mike, restoration of the car is coming along

That is a nice cup holder, comes in really handy especially with cars without AC.

Hmmm... my car came with AC but, I drive with the windows down and someone removed the compressor so it doesn't work anyway. Actually, that is my next project, get the AC back in the car.

455HO75

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2022, 07:55:37 AM »
Did you upholsterer do the TA Birds on the new vinyl? How did you do this? My interior is totally out, so I am thinking of trying to add those birds like you did

rkellerjr

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2022, 02:18:38 PM »
Did you upholsterer do the TA Birds on the new vinyl? How did you do this? My interior is totally out, so I am thinking of trying to add those birds like you did

Yes, the upholsterer built the seat covers (since ordering them was going to take over a year to get) using my existing seats and added the birds per my specifications. They came out real nice.

rkellerjr

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2023, 01:54:13 PM »
Well, I'm pretty much done except for a few glitches in the gauges I need to figure out. It came out really nice, lots of compliments at car shows and cruise-ins, especially the birds on the seats. thanks for the compliments here, appreciate the support on the projects over the years. Next up, Air Conditioning!

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2023, 06:33:33 PM »
Well, I'm pretty much done except for a few glitches in the gauges I need to figure out. It came out really nice, lots of compliments at car shows and cruise-ins, especially the birds on the seats. thanks for the compliments here, appreciate the support on the projects over the years. Next up, Air Conditioning!

Rich, I think everyone loved the Firebirds on the seats, something Pontiac could have done.

If not getting too personal, what are your AC plans? Does the factory AC not work? Are you thinking Vintage Air system?

The reason I ask is my factory AC system has been converted to R134. It works but has a slow leak from the front compressor seal. This is a common problem with GM A6 compressors because of the Ceramic seal. I could replace the stock seal, but it will probably leak again. There is a double lip seal that is not supposed to leak, but I would still have a big heavy compressor. Summit sells a modern bolt in replacement that uses the original mounting bracket, it is lighter than the GM A6 and uses less power, but is still fairly long compared to the Sanden compressors.

The other option is a modern Sanden compressor from Original Air. it comes in a kit with new hoses (mine are 43 years old). Also has a new drier and all new O-rings. What I don't like is the compressor mounting bracket. The belt tensioning mechanism does not seem well thought out. I could also buy just a compressor and mounting hardware from Vintage Air. It has a much better mounting system. What I will probably do is buy the kit from Original Air and just the compressor mounting hardware from (Steel-eez) Vintage Air.

Sorry if this is wordy, just curious as to what research you might have done and what you plan to do?
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2023, 07:03:28 PM »
Not to hijack but I did install an original air setup and it’s ok but I had some issues with it. I believe I posted a thread about it if you search. You’re right thought the mounting design is poor and factory brackets don’t work. Vintage air has a different bracket that looks like it would be much better but I don’t know if they do (or don’t) offer a kit for a factory AC car.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

rkellerjr

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2023, 06:22:29 AM »

Rich, I think everyone loved the Firebirds on the seats, something Pontiac could have done.

If not getting too personal, what are your AC plans? Does the factory AC not work? Are you thinking Vintage Air system?

The reason I ask is my factory AC system has been converted to R134. It works but has a slow leak from the front compressor seal. This is a common problem with GM A6 compressors because of the Ceramic seal. I could replace the stock seal, but it will probably leak again. There is a double lip seal that is not supposed to leak, but I would still have a big heavy compressor. Summit sells a modern bolt in replacement that uses the original mounting bracket, it is lighter than the GM A6 and uses less power, but is still fairly long compared to the Sanden compressors.

The other option is a modern Sanden compressor from Original Air. it comes in a kit with new hoses (mine are 43 years old). Also has a new drier and all new O-rings. What I don't like is the compressor mounting bracket. The belt tensioning mechanism does not seem well thought out. I could also buy just a compressor and mounting hardware from Vintage Air. It has a much better mounting system. What I will probably do is buy the kit from Original Air and just the compressor mounting hardware from (Steel-eez) Vintage Air.

Sorry if this is wordy, just curious as to what research you might have done and what you plan to do?

I've had some discussions with my good friend, mechanic, and Pontiac buddy. My initial thought was to put the original equipment back in the car. The car is a AC car but only has the condenser still in the car, everything else was gone. I'm not a fan of vintage air, even though there are good reviews from folks, I'd like to keep things somewhat original. My friend suggested putting a later year system in the car, '77/'78. He said it was a much better system and will fit in the car. He said it will also be more budget friendly.  So, I've been leaning in that direction. Beyond that I haven't really thought through or done any research. I'll probably start a thread when the time comes and budget is filled again to get everyone's opinions. The only thing I'm not leaning towards is an entire Vintage Air replacement system.

I think I have the AC mounting brackets somewhere that I got from a friend who gave them to me. Again, I still need to research and see if they will work.

I'm hoping this might be this years winter project but, with our move and all, the funds need to start filling back up. We still have some house projects to get done too and the bird takes a back seat to those. I've lived without AC since I bought in 2006 so not a have to project, this one is a Rich wants item in these hot and muggy summer days in Virginia.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 06:24:25 AM by rkellerjr »

rkellerjr

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2023, 06:23:10 AM »
Not to hijack but I did install an original air setup and it’s ok but I had some issues with it. I believe I posted a thread about it if you search. You’re right thought the mounting design is poor and factory brackets don’t work. Vintage air has a different bracket that looks like it would be much better but I don’t know if they do (or don’t) offer a kit for a factory AC car.

I'll have to a search and find it and get educated on your project.

« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2023, 06:23:10 AM »
You can help support TAC!