Author Topic: Steering wheel hub collar repro  (Read 608 times)

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
Steering wheel hub collar repro
« on: June 28, 2022, 12:27:54 AM »
Has anyone used one of the reproduction steering wheel hubs? I'm not sure if these are produced by MMC or someone else. A few stock them but always seem to say unbranded.
Ad below for example, terrible blurry photos that show nothing useful.

I picked up one through another seller. Item is unbranded, box is plain. No info at all. Item looks nice but on further inspection it has 2 definite flats where it has been clamped in a vice and squeezed up. There's inner strengthening supports and they've used the weak area. I doubt any would notice, but when spun in your hand you can just make it out. Makes me wonder about the rest of the item, especially the splines long term.

I had no intention to replace anytime soon, just a spare. And because mine has no pebbling on it, sanded smooth and painted black. I can't comment how it compares to original in this regard, often came down to who and how they were sprayed as to the effect finish. It would be interesting to know if the pebble was then repainted black or was part of the coating. Not so much the repros, but factory also. The black satin sheen matches my resprayed column nicely already.

I was tempted to respray with a final coat but also worried that any sheen increase might make the flats, the invisible flats, more obvious. I remember restoring several Chrysler and Valiant air cleaners back in the day that used the black crinkle finish similar to these, and it required a top coat of satin black to seal, and add an extra layer of protection.

Anyway, just making convo as usual.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/263099169432?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 12:33:33 AM by Wallington »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
Re: Steering wheel hub collar repro
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 04:47:29 AM »
I haven't used one but curious how one gets damaged that a new one is needed ( other than your reasons).
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 05:34:36 AM »
No idea on the repro stuff. Reviews on aftermarket parts are great and helpful though from those that have experience. For obvious reasons I try to stick to original if at all possible. I restored a couple of these that turned out pretty nice. Texture may be a bit more coarse than original but not too much. Sand them down to bare, heat the part and then use the wrinkle finish. You are correct though, the wrinkle is just a coating not a paint. It does need to be covered.

2021-01-30_01-21-38 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
2021-01-30_01-21-47 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
2021-01-30_01-21-55 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr2021-01-30_05-11-23 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

Before
2021-01-30_01-21-26 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

I apologize in advance if this is too much of a deviation from your original intent.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 05:52:22 AM »
Excellent work. No, my post didn't really have any intent other than something new to discuss/whinge about!

I would have bought a spare one to try the same, except spare ones don't exist here. The new one was cheap. As it turns out, probably still overpriced.
I looked at some photos online of used originals, they look thicker in the body casting and more robust too. It'll stay on the shelf.

Just as a general comparison of market value, Firebird Central has the new repro steering wheel hubs for $69, but used GM originals for $120. That says something.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 06:36:34 AM by Wallington »

nUcLeArEnVoY

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 11:34:53 AM »
There is a guy on PY forums who services restoration on these. Apparently it's concourse-level quality/accuracy.
1979 Trans Am 400/4-Speed W72/WS6 - Starlight Black Hardtop

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 11:34:53 AM »

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 12:11:49 AM »
Kerry's looks perfect, Id be more than happy with that. Mind you, my plain version looks neat too. Assume a previous owner cleaned it up, I didn't.

Kerry, do you recall which crinkle paint you used on that? Has a nice texture like your original. Even on the originals it could vary, others are a rough spattery coating and not always that uniform.

Even the reproduction collars seem to vary in photos used, but seem to be the pebble textured variety rather than crinkle.

Not a great photo, this was a quick shot I took when I got the repro. Everything covered in dust, torch in mouth. But you get the idea.

Firebird steering column hubs smooth GM pebbled repro by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Random pic saved online. Seller claims original other than fresh coat of black. This is the textured blotchy version, not crinkle. Repro is similar, but neater.

Firebird steering wheel column hub mount original GM used (5) by Aus78Formula, on Flickr
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 12:15:37 AM by Wallington »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 08:26:43 AM »
I used VHT wrinkle paint.
Yes, I have a couple of them laying around and the one in my 77 which is original. They do vary slightly and the one I re-did matches a perfect average of them. Once coloured with the interior paint it looks as good as original.
I used a small die grinder with a scotch bright to strip the old finish, finer grits to get the aluminum polished nicely. The directions say the wrinkle works best on a warm surface. I did mine in the winter and had the pot heater running so I used that as a heat source. Let it sit on there for a few minutes and then hit it with spray. First time I put the SEM dye(paint) directly to the wrinkle coat and it had a bad reaction. It acted like a solvent and ate it away, making a horrible mess. Strip down again and started over. Next time I let is sit a couple of days, then used a rustoleum primer under the SEM. Worked perfect that time around.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 07:37:46 PM »
Good info!

TA301

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2022, 02:36:08 PM »
Are these collars susceptible to damage?

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2022, 02:45:43 PM »
I would say not really, though the original finish can get chipped over time. For a well kept car I cant imagine ever needing to replace one.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

TA301

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2022, 03:19:36 PM »
yes. That is what i thought as well. Unless the OP lost the collar, I don't see why it would ever need replacement.

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2022, 06:48:46 PM »
As mentioned very clearly it's due to the missing correct textured finish, same reason one might swap or restore their chipped original unit. I'm not sure the reason others may need one in normal use.

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2022, 06:48:46 PM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!