Author Topic: Who makes correct angle brake booster?  (Read 1374 times)

EspriTA350

• Active Forum Member
Who makes correct angle brake booster?
« on: August 03, 2021, 03:46:31 PM »
Who makes a correct-angle brake booster? I understand there is supposed to be some angle, but my replacement one I bought from firebirdcentral is angled too much. It leaves an indent in my hood insulation now where the previous one didn't.

cyber104

• Active Forum Member
Re: Who makes correct angle brake booster?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 04:07:50 PM »
I got mine from Ames and it was a perfect match to my original
1978 TA 4-Speed W72

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 04:31:40 PM »
Meant to be 17 degrees tilt, sounds like yours has some extra built in again.

The popular Delco Moraine plated boosters apparently used the original tooling, was yours custom booster?

Or, was your car originally manual brakes and converted with an adaptor?

Or the booster is for an earlier model that used the non-power mounting angle and so has extra angle built-in to the bracket which is now also on your firewall mount as well?

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Former brake guy
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 07:48:12 PM »
...Or the booster is for an earlier model that used the non-power mounting angle and so has extra angle built-in to the bracket which is now also on your firewall mount as well?

wat?

cyber104

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 04:24:51 AM »

The popular Delco Moraine plated boosters apparently used the original tooling, was yours custom booster?

This is the one I got from Ames - Delco Moraine - with a yellow zinc coating
1978 TA 4-Speed W72

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 04:24:51 AM »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 06:19:28 AM »
I got lines from firebird central and they sold inline tube stuff. IF the booster comes from there as well it should fit, I would think. That is the one I used on my 77.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 07:29:40 AM »
mounting between power brake booster and manual brakes, I think it was fairly clear even said like that. There's 2 firewall mount angles and who knows how many booster versions when they claim to suit early years. Sounds like he doubled-up. It's hard to come up with solutions when no details provided.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 07:35:46 AM by Wallington »

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 09:56:29 AM »
I know what you mean about the angle. The one in my Camaro is the same way. For some reason those aftermarket boosters have additional angle built into them. DSE makes a reduced angle bracket.

https://www.detroitspeed.com/brake-booster-bracket-set-reduced-angle-1967-81-camaro-firebird-050302

1976 Trans Am LS1 and much more...SOLD
1968 Camaro LSA, T56 Magnum, and much more...SOLD

Current Project: 1955 Nomad LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes and etc...

tajoe

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 03:53:56 PM »
I know what you mean about the angle. The one in my Camaro is the same way. For some reason those aftermarket boosters have additional angle built into them. DSE makes a reduced angle bracket.

https://www.detroitspeed.com/brake-booster-bracket-set-reduced-angle-1967-81-camaro-firebird-050302
LOL. Did anyone notice the yellow warning symbol in this link, for the booster bracket?
"Warning! Cancer and reproductive harm!"
You gutta be kidding me. The lawyers have their gloves in "everything". (Pathetic)
"You can sell an old man a young mans car,
but you can't sell a young man an old mans car"
                                       Bunkie Knudsen
<

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2021, 06:06:52 AM »
They put that warning on anything that has even trace amounts of Lead. While it seems excessive, I think that for anyone who has been affected by Lead poisoning would say that this label is completely appropriate.

EspriTA350

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2021, 10:38:08 PM »

Meant to be 17 degrees tilt, sounds like yours has some extra built in again.

Or, was your car originally manual brakes and converted with an adaptor?

Or the booster is for an earlier model that used the non-power mounting angle and so has extra angle built-in to the bracket which is now also on your firewall mount as well?

No to the custom booster, and it's an original power brake car.

I got mine from Ames and it was a perfect match to my original

I saw you mentioned yours has the Delco stamp. Mine does not. I wonder if the ones with the stamp are made differently? (other than the stamp I mean).

I actually have a set of those already. Problem is I don't know how to get the current brackets off, as they're riveted in place.

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2021, 11:33:56 PM »
No, they were simply available with or without stamping, this particular type anyway.

And yes, the mounts are riveted on originally, must be for a different setup or booster perhaps. Some of the fancy brands like Detroit Speed that make the brackets also have boosters with no brackets, various vehicle use and adapt.

You could adjust the angle and height of the booster by adding a washer or two to the top studs, you may not have much access. I had to do similar to mine as it's RHD converted and didn't have an angled mount on the firewall. I made a spacer plate now but testing with washers until 17 degrees. The booster mount makes it angle upwards while the firewall mount angles downwards just slightly.

Grab a pic if you can, might be easier than guessing what the scenarios could be for sake of conversation.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 11:44:47 PM by Wallington »

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2021, 06:22:37 AM »
Can you post a picture of how they are riveted in place? My brackets bolted to the booster, then the other side of the brackets went to the firewall.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2021, 07:49:17 AM »
That's very interesting. I guess I never paid attention to that. Well In that case I think the only thing you can do is cut a pie shaped piece out, bent it to the angle you want and weld back together.

OR, you could use some angled shims to tilt it down to the angle you want. Possibly use some rear differential pinion shims and trim them to fit.

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2021, 07:49:17 AM »

EspriTA350

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2021, 12:11:00 PM »
No, they were simply available with or without stamping, this particular type anyway.

And yes, the mounts are riveted on originally, must be for a different setup or booster perhaps. Some of the fancy brands like Detroit Speed that make the brackets also have boosters with no brackets, various vehicle use and adapt.

You could adjust the angle and height of the booster by adding a washer or two to the top studs, you may not have much access. I had to do similar to mine as it's RHD converted and didn't have an angled mount on the firewall. I made a spacer plate now but testing with washers until 17 degrees. The booster mount makes it angle upwards while the firewall mount angles downwards just slightly.

Grab a pic if you can, might be easier than guessing what the scenarios could be for sake of conversation.

I did add some washers already, but any difference in the angle is imperceptible to me. I also noticed I can't stack too many washers on there without adversely affecting brake pedal fitment, plus that plastic seal that goes from the booster into the firewall. The angle that's built-in is at the point where the bracket meets the booster. It's just about flat where it fastens to the firewall.

Some pictures for posterity. Keep in mind the rear of my car is raised right now as I'm tackling another project in the rear end.

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2021, 07:36:38 PM »
Make sure the bottom is fastened against the firewall, it looks like simply adding washers is just moving it away and keeping the same angle. You can run a ruler off the cowl top to check the difference in any changes you make. I'd also check the master cylinder, it looks to be kicked up even more and more of an issue than the booster angle. Might be time for a LHD owner to assist. Your previous booster/MC setup came off fine? Dash is not removed?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 08:43:39 PM by Wallington »

EspriTA350

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2021, 09:46:02 PM »
Make sure the bottom is fastened against the firewall, it looks like simply adding washers is just moving it away and keeping the same angle. You can run a ruler off the cowl top to check the difference in any changes you make. I'd also check the master cylinder, it looks to be kicked up even more and more of an issue than the booster angle. Might be time for a LHD owner to assist. Your previous booster/MC setup came off fine? Dash is not removed?

Yeah I think I'm just going to take the washers out.

Previous booster/mc came off fine and dash was never removed.

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2021, 09:46:02 PM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!