Author Topic: Opinions and Build Advice Needed  (Read 1809 times)

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Mark's Cars Inc.
Opinions and Build Advice Needed
« on: May 16, 2021, 02:05:54 PM »
Hey Guys,

Curious to see what opinions you guys may have on my situation.  I'm sure many have seen my project since I've been on the forum for over 10 years.  When I first got into these cars, I had a lot of "my own" time being in high school, college, living at home, etc.  I remember being in my early 20's/teenage years, wrenching in the garage until 2-4am. 

These days, it seems that every time I make a step forward in life, it just becomes harder and harder to dedicate time to working on the car.  Since having a kid this past year, I feel like all my time is gone.  Me and my wife both work full time jobs on opposite schedules and each watch our child on opposite days to save on daycare costs.  I work Mon-Fri (baby on weekends) and she works Fri-Mon (baby during week).  I want to work on my car in my free time and my wife wants to work on independent studies in her free time.  Neither of us finish work before 6pm every day, then it's dinner, cleaning, prepping the kid for bed, etc.   

What would you do/suggest?

"man it up" and slave away late at night?
Sell the car and not deal with "the dream" anymore?
Set the car aside and wait until I have time later in life?
Set the aside and save up money to pay someone to do the work/restoration?
Mark's Cars Inc.

https://markscarsinc.com

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Opinions and Build Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 02:35:32 PM »
Jon,

I have been in your shoes, probably a lot of members here have. I would hang onto the car and wait until you have more time. I think you will regret selling. As time goes by the prices will only go up and the supplies will shrink. You might get some satisfaction out of just walking in the garage and dream about some day.

A successful relationship with you better half is based on compromise and sacrifice. Part of having children means putting them first and sacrificing. Kids grow up in the blink of an eye and will be gone before you know it. Enjoy this time as much as you can and save the car for when your life is less chaotic.
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Your friendly neighborhood Miata enthusiast!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 03:09:57 PM »
If you can store the car without it taking up valuable space or degrading in condition, I don't see the issue in just holding onto it for later when you have time.  Maybe save up to outsource some work as well.
2001 Miata LS 5-speed

Savage Larry

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 05:44:29 PM »
Been through the same thing. Haven't been able to make much progress over the last 10 years. Then Covid came along and I've had free time to finally finish it. I also had thoughts of selling it and I'd get disappointed in myself every time I walked by the car and didn't see progress. I know one thing for sure, I would have regretted selling it.

If you don't have the time, don't sweat it. Break it down into small projects and when you get to do a bit here and there it will be rewarding but don't be hard on yourself if you don't make any progress.

Jay
Calgary, AB
1977 4 speed W72

Steve B

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 06:00:06 PM »
Definitely don't get rid of the car.  Maybe your child can grow interest in helping to work on it when they get a little older.  Then you'd be spending time with your child and working on the car at the same time.  Even bring your wife in as well and make it a family affair.  I call my wife a "car girl" because she has interest in cars as much as I do.  Good luck at whatever you chose to do.
Steve
1980 Trans Am, 400, TH400 auto

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 06:00:06 PM »

70_71_78

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 06:19:51 PM »
I have had my car projects for longer than I can count. My youngest is 30, the cars have been sitting at least that long. I have worked on them when I can, slowed by having to find ways to do almost everything by my self. That has resulted in a ton of tools. As the kids in my life have grown, I have spent more time on their projects and my daily drivers than the F-bodies. I have always made my kids participate in work on their own cars, we have had many experiences together because of that. I don't think I would trade that time for anything, even if it meant all my projects were finished! All of this because I accumulated tools for my projects. My wife is not really into cars, but understands the value of my getting away from my working for someone else, and changing to something completely different for myself for a while. There are still times though, when I question the value of continuing down this path. It seem that when I reach that stage several friends and family will remind me of just how much of the difficult work I have accomplished and encourage me to keep going. I can't recommend one way or the other, I can just offer what I have experienced.

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Mark's Cars Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 07:01:08 PM »
Thanks for the shared experience and opinions everyone! 

I don’t like the idea of giving up on my build as I already own my dream car.  I hate seeing lack of progress and I like doing most things at full throttle so I often get frustrated about not being able to put the time in I know that is required.  The car obviously not in the condition I dream of but it’s the car I want and I can honestly say that after owning it over a decade.

I talked to my wife today and I decided I’m going to clear our garage space to put everything on hold.  I love wrenching but it’s taking too much time away from our family.  I appreciate the family project responses but my family has never been into it.  I’ve almost always done everything for myself and I think it’s time to give my time to my family instead.

Thanks again for the responses.
Mark's Cars Inc.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 07:05:39 PM »
Like all the above,  I have been there as well. What I did was take one day a week and work on my car after dinner and kids were on there way to bed. I usually worked until 12 or 1 am. It took forever but I keep connected to my car and eventually got it on the road. No matter your choice, I encourage you to try to keep the car. I held on to mine for about 11 years before I started work on it again ( The one day a week deal). This also keept the other half happy.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

79GoldnTan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 07:50:31 PM »
If you have had it for a decade what's one more. 15 minutes a day, slow but life goes by fast. You may never get the chance again.
79 solar gold    
461.   Factory 4 speed
PTFB SFC
PTFB 1LE
3.08 rear  for now
Lots O Fun

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2021, 07:57:06 PM »
Daaaaaddddyyyyy!

Love it man and welcome to the club.
It is a fine group of members, and worth the entry fee!

Got to appreciate your devotion and commitment, but I must say the family and hobby can coexist.
It is the expectations and timeline that may need to be adjusted.
Try racing, building a family, doing a 2200 square foot addition and having your second child.
Over the course of these things timelines and commitments will need adjustment.
I hope clearing out the garage does not mean selling off the project.

My thoughts.
Get a baby monitor and put the display in the shop.
Put a bouncy chair in the shop.
Work on the TA late

KEEP MOMMA HAPPY!

Simplify the build a bit if possible.
Farm some stuff out if possible.
Protect the work that lingers or is prolonged.

KEEP MOMMA HAPPY!

Don't squander Daddy time, its better than a fast car.
My wife never missed a meal and kept the house in order with our first.
The second dinner was done she was dispatched upstairs.
I cleaned up dinner and had our first daughter for the next several hours.
I'd goof around, set her up in the bouncy chair if I was doing stuff for work, of bopped around with her in my arms listening to electronica music.
9:00 or 10:00 feed baby and put her to bed.
Mid- night feedings were Mrs. T's deal >>> I was not equipped for the task but she got an easy 6 or more hours of sleep before the time was due.
If need be there was a back-up bottle for Daddy to get on the JOB.

KEEP MOMMA HAPPY!

Once baby was put to bed, that is when "JT's" stuff got done for a couple of hours.

You can still be you!
At the risk of sounding stupid.... relax and let things adjust a bit before making any judgments on your project
It may take a little more effort and the timing for completion may need to be adjusted, but it can work out.

KEEP MOMMA AND DADDY HAPPY!

And by the way >>>> this thread sucks without a baby pic!
Not sure if one was posted in another thread

JT

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Former brake guy
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2021, 08:39:19 PM »
Keep banging away at it - your task is part of what defines you.

Raven

• Active Forum Member
    • Yellowstone Computing
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2021, 08:42:58 PM »
As a wise Ent once said, "Don't be hasty." Save the car if you can, temper your expectations, dream and plan ahead for the future, but don't let the present time with your family slip away. The car is special, but it can't replace those you love. Proverbs 13:12 says, "Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a desire fulfilled is a tree of life." I have chosen to put various personal projects on hold so that I could invest in my family. I can tell you that a car, even "the dream one," pales in comparison to the reward of such an investment. That isn't to belittle your dream, only a reminder to embrace you wife and child, for your time with them passes so fast.
1978 Mayan Red Trans Am, '74 455SD, 4-speed.
1977 Trans Am SE, Y82, 400, auto. (Sold)
1999 Navy Blue Metallic Trans Am, LS1, auto. (Sold)
Time Flies in a Trans Am!
https://www.yellowstonecomputing.net

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2021, 05:54:20 AM »
Like all the above,  I have been there as well. What I did was take one day a week and work on my car after dinner and kids were on there way to bed. I usually worked until 12 or 1 am. It took forever but I keep connected to my car and eventually got it on the road. No matter your choice, I encourage you to try to keep the car. I held on to mine for about 11 years before I started work on it again ( The one day a week deal). This also keep the other half happy.

I agree very much with all of the comments, but Luke's is the basic formula that I used/still use for my project cars. The other comment was very true for me a well, even 15 mins a day can earn you some progress. I take the dog out and his food is in the garage. I let him out/ put food in his dish and during the time that I had to wait for him to eat anyway, I do something. Whether it's jack the car up to get it into position for the next thing I need to do, fill fluids, sand a bracket, and etc.

Like in your case for the suspension kits that you bought. If you could spare 15-20 mins during a lunchbreak or while you are "taking out the garbage", jack the car up and take the front wheels off. Then next time you have a spare few minutes, pull the calipers and shocks off. Progress is progress no matter how small. Before you know it the front suspension is done and you can move to the next task.

It was well said that you might just have to shift your expectations for your timeline.

Another good suggestion that I've used in the past is book a massage for your wife. Then try to schedule some time with the grandparents for the kiddos. :lol:

1976 Trans Am LS1 and much more...SOLD
1968 Camaro LSA, T56 Magnum, and much more...SOLD

Current Project: 1955 Nomad LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes and etc...

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2021, 06:39:35 AM »
Keep it but dont pay for storage. The day will come when you are ready to work on it, or if not it MAY be worth a bit more than it is now. I think most of us have been where you are.

I hear all the time that the younger generations have no interest in antique cars. Yours is case in point. I dont think there is a lack of interest but a different set of priorities. Sounds like you have yours in order. My children are older, but now I have my 8 yo grandson. He doesnt require round the clock care like a newborn and does like being in the shop with me. Those kind of days are ahead of you. Look at some of Ryans posts', I think his boy will be taking the camaro for a test drive soon!

When my kids were really young I bought a '57 MB 190sl as a project to keep me busy. Little did I know I was busy enough without a project. Car sat for about a year, I reached a point that I needed money more than a car collecting dust so I sold it. For the princely sum of $10k. That same car cant be bought today for $100k!! Wish I would have held onto it!
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2021, 08:16:46 AM »
Yeah, time definitely flies. Don't put any pressure on yourself man. That is where the project scope creep comes into play. You have to do what's right for your family and like you were telling me about the autocross guys. You'd think by looking at the internet that everyone has a 1k hp LS motor, when in reality most people have nice cars with SBC, BBC, Poncho, 5.0, etc. that drive them.

Do what is right for your family and take a break if needed. Like Kerry said too, don't pay for storage, but if it's only occupying garage space just push it in the corner.

This is the picture of my oldest son early in my Camaro build. Probably 15 months old there.

Fast forward 4 years and here we are last fall. I was legitimately assembling my motor in that picture. Little guy was helping out.

Cheers,
Ryan

1976 Trans Am LS1 and much more...SOLD
1968 Camaro LSA, T56 Magnum, and much more...SOLD

Current Project: 1955 Nomad LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes and etc...

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2021, 08:16:46 AM »

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2021, 09:12:34 AM »
I would say the seasons change in life, and to recognize you might be in a 5 or 10 year delay here.  It's possible that working on cars might be very rewarding later on, maybe.  If you like working 10 pm to 2 am, then that's okay (I did it for years) but I got too lazy for that as I got older. 

I would say don't accumulate more projects than you can properly store.  That's been my mistake.  And in fact you can stop well short of that and be very happy.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

tajoe

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2021, 02:54:45 PM »
I also (like the others), have been, and am in the same boat, for about 30 years plus. Haven't been able to justify fun car time and expense over family/work priorities.
When I 1st got my "2nd" 73 T/A (about 36 yrs ago), and moved it into my new(old) house/garage, my mother was visiting, and asked me what I wuz gunna do with that car. I told her of my plans to do it all over. She looked at me with a grin, and said..."you should sell it now". I wuz appalled. "I can't sell it! (I stammered) It's my dream car! I've already lost one! At worst, it could be my retirement project. I'll never sell old Jezebel."

30 something years later,....as I look at what I've accomplished, I should've listened to her.  :(
(But hey... that's just me)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 08:12:47 PM by tajoe »
"You can sell an old man a young mans car,
but you can't sell a young man an old mans car"
                                       Bunkie Knudsen
<

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Mark's Cars Inc.
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2021, 07:17:07 PM »
Thanks again for the replies and shared experiences guys!  Everyone has their own situation and I will definitely have to think about where I'm going with the build at this point in time.

Below is a picture of me and the little one.  She's my mini-me.
Mark's Cars Inc.

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2021, 08:43:54 PM »
Baaaaayyyyybeee.
Nice job Dad.

Let Momma know too... she put her time in as well.  😆.

A similar Mom story regarding their input on car stuff.....my Mom.... when we had our first daughter she goes... I guess that’s it for racing right?  I said there will be no more talk like that woman.  She put the kabosh on my Dad racing once I was around. A friend wanted my Dad to drive his midget and my mom put the brakes on that deal. My kids are 13 and 17 and dig the racing even if thy only come out a couple times a year to watch.

JT

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2021, 08:43:54 PM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!