Author Topic: Hi!  (Read 6242 times)

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
Re: Hi!
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2021, 04:49:12 PM »
Just FYI - There is a way to browse an archive of TAC that is hosted by the WayBackMachine - https://web.archive.org/

It appears that the last site crawl that they did of TAC was November 12, 2020, so anything after that wasn't captured but prior to that all the posts are fully accessible via this link - https://web.archive.org/web/20200928152320/http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php
Gene

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2021, 05:43:29 PM »
At the bottom of every page is a “Big Enos” support TAC donation button.  Strictly a voluntary thing.

But since it sounds like the future of the forum might be in jeopardy it might help to know how much it would take to resolve the problems. Members my be less inclined to donate random amounts without knowing if it would be enough to save the forum. Just my two cents. And for the record, I’d be happy to donate if it can make a difference.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
    • Laboratory Fourteen
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2021, 07:46:03 PM »
mrbandit Sent you a PM but if you don't get it and see this please send me an email.    laboratoryfourteen@gmail.com
John Paige
Lab-14.com

MNBob

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2021, 11:40:06 AM »
Dear MrBandit,

First let me thank you for allowing me to be a member of this great community TAC. I have been a firebird lover most my life and a TAC member since last May. I am unable to put into words the amount of enjoyment and useful information I get from this site. I appreciate all you do and have done to keep this site up. If I read between the lines it sounds like you need a new server and possibly upgraded software to alleviate the instability problems. Several members including myself have offered to donate to this worthy cause. I don’t know how many members or how much they are willing to contribute, but I think it would be worth looking into. Would you be interested if we could start a GoFundMe or just contribute directly to TAC with maybe a special “Help TAC fund”? Do you have any idea what dollar amount you would need to resolve the problems?

This suggestion is just an offer of help and not meant to put any pressure on you. If there is anything members can do to help you, please let us know.

Well said and my thoughts as well.  I am willing to contribute.
1979 TATA Extreme TKO .64
Hedman elite; Pypes 2.5; Borla XS; MSD 6A; Performer intake; open scoop; Sniper QJ;  110 Amp Alt; 4 core radiator/Mark VIII fan; RobbMc mini starter; subframe connectors; solid body mounts; fiberglass rear springs; poly sway bar and link bushings; 81 master; D52’s; Blazer disks; 225/60 & 235/60 17's TrueContact's; relays for PW, PDL, lights; keyless entry

MalteseFalcon

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2021, 02:09:07 PM »
Losing all of the information on TAC would be tragic.

Even more tragic would be forgetting one of the fundamental rules that has allowed this site to become what it was (and hopefully will be gain). I was disappointed to see how quickly some people seemed to forget.

No politics.

Now, this is just my view. I'm not an admin. But I've been on TAC since well before the complete wipe-out in 2007 - I think about 2003-2005. Just remember that every time you post a political comment, there are probably 50% of people - yes, even here - who disagree with you vehemently. Any political comment here is essentially trolling, and whatever political opinion you post, no matter how sure you are that it's true, or obvious, or surely must be held by everybody else, half of the people reading it are going to think you are an idiot for holding that opinion, and the other half are going to think that you are a jerk for posting it here.

There are lots of other places where you can talk politics where you won't be damaging something special.

Steve

1978 WS6 - W72 4 Speed, Martinique Blue on Light Blue - Fire Am Restification Project
1972 Trans Am 455 HO 4 Speed (one of 458)

2000 WS6 6-Speed Trans Am, Black on Ebony (sold)
1976 455 4-Speed Trans Am, Goldenrod Yellow on Saddle (sold)
1976 455 4-Speed Trans Am, Firethorn Red on Firethorn Red (sold)

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2021, 02:09:07 PM »

71455formula

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2021, 02:32:33 PM »
I can tell yall this. I can still see how many post I've made, PM's back and forth between member's/friends and did not need to create a new account. Maybe/hopefully that's something.
1971 LS5 Formula. It's on the road finally!
2013 GMC Sierra 5.3l 6 speed Diamond White(sold)
2013 GMC Sierra Denali 6.2 6 speed AWD (sold)

72projectbird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Pontiac "Big Block"
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2021, 03:02:32 PM »
Losing all of the information on TAC would be tragic.

Even more tragic would be forgetting one of the fundamental rules that has allowed this site to become what it was (and hopefully will be gain). I was disappointed to see how quickly some people seemed to forget.

No politics.

Now, this is just my view. I'm not an admin. But I've been on TAC since well before the complete wipe-out in 2007 - I think about 2003-2005. Just remember that every time you post a political comment, there are probably 50% of people - yes, even here - who disagree with you vehemently. Any political comment here is essentially trolling, and whatever political opinion you post, no matter how sure you are that it's true, or obvious, or surely must be held by everybody else, half of the people reading it are going to think you are an idiot for holding that opinion, and the other half are going to think that you are a jerk for posting it here.

There are lots of other places where you can talk politics where you won't be damaging something special.

Remember that clown who joined and immediately tried to chastise us for running Georgia state flag plates?

:lol:
70 Trans Am RAIII 4 Speed #'s matching
71 Trans Am LS Swapped

"Put the evidence in the car"

71455formula

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2021, 07:39:18 PM »

Remember that clown who joined and immediately tried to chastise us for running Georgia state flag plates?

:lol:
[/quote]

Had someone do the same for my Tennessee tag. Adamant that it was the confederate flag.
1971 LS5 Formula. It's on the road finally!
2013 GMC Sierra 5.3l 6 speed Diamond White(sold)
2013 GMC Sierra Denali 6.2 6 speed AWD (sold)

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2021, 07:44:07 AM »
Just FYI - There is a way to browse an archive of TAC that is hosted by the WayBackMachine - https://web.archive.org/

It appears that the last site crawl that they did of TAC was November 12, 2020, so anything after that wasn't captured but prior to that all the posts are fully accessible via this link - https://web.archive.org/web/20200928152320/http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php

Well that's pretty cool.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2021, 10:49:52 AM »

Well that's pretty cool.

It's pretty much just a static image of the site so you can't log in or search but if there is a specific post you are looking for, or just want to browse, it can be helpful.
Gene

JAL71 TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2021, 06:34:54 PM »
Mr Bandit Thanks for what you do, never be too concerned about asking for help. I am in with the rest on the $$ if it helps.
69TA
71TA 455
69GTO

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2021, 06:55:03 AM »
What we have here is a perfect storm that has been brewing for a year now and I did not see it coming.  The instability in the forum was due to the legacy version of mysql my server was running.  I could not upgrade it due to the age of the server image and the version it was running.  The cost of running the server just as it is has mostly kept me from upgrading to the next gen.  There are key sponsors on the site that have been here for the last 20 years....that support us for the sake of supporting us, but the others have dwindled off when they can track sales back to their sponsorship.  Google ads have been keeping the ship afloat.  That is just one part.  The other was the backups that were going to a machine I have running back at the office.  I work from home now, so I'm not there to keep an eye on it.  Little did I know, but blocks were put in place to keep it from downloading that type of file.  That one is on me.

I have a backup of data I'm uploading now, but I can't be sure how far it covers until the restore is complete.  I'll let you know.

Once I know I have exhausted my efforts I'll decide what to do next.  The TAC family has been great and have contributed over the years, but I've never wanted to ask for help.  I will probably have to dump the table again to do a restore, so don't be surprised.

What would be the ideal NEXT gen Server? I'm not familiar with IT in regards to servers and how they run websites. Just trying to get an idea of what the community may be needing?

Thanks,
Ryan

1976 Trans Am LS1 and much more...SOLD
1968 Camaro LSA, T56 Magnum, and much more...SOLD

Current Project: 1955 Nomad LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes and etc...

TATurbo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2021, 12:34:11 PM »
Thank you for your time and effort MrBandit.  Good luck and God-speed!
Tom
King of Prussia, PA

1981 Turbo Trans-Am
Build thread - http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=83354.0

Rickard080TA

• Active Forum Member
  • 1980 TA SE
    • 1980 TRANS AM SE
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2021, 02:44:36 PM »
At the bottom of every page is a “Big Enos” support TAC donation button.  Strictly a voluntary thing.

I am up for donating, but is there an idea of what this site costs per month? I have gotten so much information from this site. I can pitch in a pretty penny. Not sure why my brains needs to have a ball park figure, but it does.
Drive it like it's a rental.

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2021, 03:48:49 PM »
I wonder how much of value there is in the wayback machine.  If I had a build thread I might be tempted to fish it out of there.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2021, 03:48:49 PM »

lumarkhood10th

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2021, 08:29:01 PM »
Mike,

Just update us as you are able.  Like others, I am happy to contribute to what is needed to make sure TAC is on sound footing.

Some of us “old guys” lurk more than we post, but we still very much enjoy the TAC site.

Thank you,
Mark
Trans Ams, Formula, Chevelle, Mustang, GN

darrylta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2021, 06:33:37 AM »
Thanks, I never noticed the banner before. I just sent you a C note.
Darryl

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2021, 06:33:37 AM »
You can help support TAC!