TAC Spotlight > Projects & Restorations

Cosmetic refresh of catalytic converter

(1/1)

pozarcar:
I finally bought a welder. Let the learning process begin!  My first project was to try to cosmetically refresh the catalytic converter on my 78 Y-82 T/A.  My car is more about originality than increased performance.  That is why I am retaining the cat.

I can tell you, it DID NOT want to come off of where it has been for who knows how long!

It had a few small and one large rust holes.  I cut out the area around the large rust hole, and made a template.  I repurposed one of the mufflers I am replacing for metal to make a patch.  A LOT of very ugly booger welding and grinding ensued.  The metal was too thin for the wire (and skill) I had, but eventually I got the patch looking halfway decent.  At least there are no longer holes anyway.

As wise men have said: "A grinder and paint will make you the welder you ain't"

Lots of skill development and practice needed, but it is a start.

FormTA:

I applaud your willingness to learn and post your success. No one was born a welder, that isba skill you have to learn and practice makes perfect.  Just taking this first step is a win. Keep at it, and nice project!

roadking77:
What Luke said, and good to hear from you. I am with you on the originality aspect, however I will be updating my exhaust.
In my trade we say 'Putty and Paint for what the carpenter aint!'

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version