TAC Spotlight > Projects & Restorations

1981 Turbo Trans-Am Project

<< < (2/31) > >>

sensei451:
Congratulations on the recognition Tom, well deserved.

Missing your regular thread, very much hoping we get that old data back here.

TATurbo:
Thanks again, everyone.
You're right Roadking, I hadn't thought much about shows, or submitting this thing for consideration for calendars, Hot Rod.com, or magnets (Yeah..I did that too...See below ;-)). 
I had been loosely planning to get this car back on the road for literally 20 years when we started the project.  I made a parts list back in '99.   Like, the day after I parked it in my newly acquired garage.   When that early list got to 5 figures I stopped at the realization I wasn't in a position to take it on.   Some of the ideas I've had since way back then, (the 68 marker lights, and a digital tach in place of the Turbo lights in the hood).  Others came from talking through it with others... Originally I was going to restore the interior exactly to stock.  An upholstery shop I visited talked me out of the NOS velour. Suggesting red leather would be a better option.   Julie suggested adding some black to the interior would look more modern and address my pet peeve related to the 4 -different- reds in the original GM interior.  Chris helped me decide to go back to Black instead of the original Dark Charcol Metalic I considered for a while. Closing up the decklid hinge/spring cover and front marker lights, adjusting the body line, and other exterior touches were also all Classic Auto Painting's ideas.
At any rate, I was building the car just looking forward to driving it.  I was honestly blown away when I saw the finished project.  Everything after that has been about wanting to share it with people.  I think it's stunning...A beautiful example of these cars we all love...A great ambassador for one of the coolest cars GM has ever produced.   I'm not a vane person at all.  I get ample satisfaction sitting behind the wheel, or even just sitting in the garage staring at it. This sounds corney, but this car has really brought me joy this past year.  I want to share it with everyone I can. Especially like-minded individuals and friends like you all.   The affirmation and recognition that come with that are pleasant side effects.     
Speaking of which...I got a package and letter from Rock Auto this week with 50 of these inside:

IMG_5568 by Tom Sherer, on Flickr

Sensei,
Thank you! I have a backup copy of my thread up to September, I might restore it myself. But, either way, I did have a couple of interesting projects come up this winter which I want to share with you guys. So, I've started looking through pics for an update post sometime soon.

Thanks again for checking in!
Take care.

-Tom

737driver:
Great article! Really good story about you and your car. You have to be really booming with pride on that car!
Jim

roadking77:
Tom, they are probably all spoken for but you need to save a magnet for me. I have a bunch on my refrig, be nice to know one of them. Congrats again.

Weather is starting to break we need to seriously get together before too long.

Nexus:
All caught up...love this car!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version