TAC Tech > Electrical

Dash lights mess up my gauges - The I.P. Ground Story

<< < (2/3) > >>

pozarcar:
Thanks for the help.  If there is an insulating washer that is supposed to go between the gauge cluster casing and the printed circuit somewhere, where does it go?

Also, if anyone has a pic of how the clock power wire stud looks when installed on the back of the cluster that would be helpful.

b_hill_86:
I don’t know of any insulating washer off hand. Again, I don’t have my 77 cluster out and apart but I don’t remember anything like that. I do have a 79 cluster I recently took apart and there was nothing like that. What’s wrong with your old printed circuit?

b_hill_86:
I think I’d remove the new printed circuit and look at the opposite side where the clock stud is and make sure there isn’t any copper exposed. Do the same with the old and compare.

Also, if you were to remove the nut holding the printed circuit on the clock power stud, does the stud move around if you wiggle it? I can see in your picture that that area is depressed and I’m starting to wonder if I remember they’re being a nut, then the printed circuit, then another nut, as I think you mentioned. I wonder if not having that nut may have cracked the back of the printed circuit, allowing the copper to make contact where it’s not supposed to.

pozarcar:
I got it fixed.  :)  I'm not sure which one of these did it (if any), but here is what I did.

- Did some repair on the printed circuit using some copper tape and a piece of copper wire on a really bendy circuit.

- Installed a insulating washer between the clock power stud and the metal cluster casing.

- Added a ground wire direct from the cluster casing to one of the steering column bolts.

I really appreciate the helpful advice.  I'm sure there are more problems to come!

b_hill_86:
Nice! Glad you got it

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version