Author Topic: Chasing a no start issue again  (Read 516 times)

Zach

• Active Forum Member
Chasing a no start issue again
« on: April 10, 2023, 06:42:15 PM »
Hello, currently chasing a seemingly random no start issue. Accessories work, ignition is on, can be started by popping clutch. When I turn the key nothing happens besides a slight dim to the lights. Battery voltage is well above 12, voltage when key is in crank position is 11.7ish. Voltage meter drops from high to 0 on dash. Brand new ac Delco starter. Mini starter on the way for hot start issues, unrelated. Contacts look clean but I’ll verify the starter ones when mini comes. My solution to this issue used to be my clutch safety switch but I tested it and it flows electricity as it should when activated as well as when key is cranking. This issue tends to fix itself, however this issue is occurring more often now. Let me know what to check or try thanks.
1977 #s W72 400 4 Speed Trans Am
1971 351c 4 Speed Mustang Mach 1

langss

• Active Forum Member
Re: Chasing a no start issue again
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 08:16:11 PM »
If you can do it.... Swap in a different Battery...Just to totally eliminate it. More than once I have had a battery with a low/dying cell that even with a "Battery Tester" on it showed within limits...

Zach

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 10:33:54 PM »
If you can do it.... Swap in a different Battery...Just to totally eliminate it. More than once I have had a battery with a low/dying cell that even with a "Battery Tester" on it showed within limits...

Never threw it on a battery tester yet just checked voltage so who knows. Newest battery I think we have but I think we might have one that still works just to throw in if this issue happens again. Annoying cause it is random so I will just need to have it on standby. Thanks.

nas t eh

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 10:44:36 PM »
How old are the battery cables? Do you have a ground strap in place between block and frame and body of the car? How old or what condition are the ground straps and battery cables in.
1973 T/A 455, 4 speed.

Zach

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 11:00:02 PM »
How old are the battery cables? Do you have a ground strap in place between block and frame and body of the car? How old or what condition are the ground straps and battery cables in.

If I had to guess 99% of the wiring is original, or at least a decade or two old. Wiring from the battery does not look damaged or corroded in any way. I Guess I am not entirely sure on the ground strap situation, I would have to look for them and check their condition don't have them in memory. I assume I should have two, one from the block to the firewall, and block to the frame? Thanks.

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 11:00:02 PM »

Zach

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 12:28:28 PM »
Replaced ignition switch and that doesn’t seem to be the issue. Which wires should I be chasing from the ignition. Hard to see the starter wires, mini starter is here so I might just drop the starter.

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2023, 02:54:16 PM »
Did this occur prior to the new Delco starter?
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

Zach

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2023, 04:18:40 PM »
Did this occur prior to the new Delco starter?

Yeah main reason I got a new starter a while back.

Little update. Installed mini starter and ignition switch, Made a new splice in the + cable and made sure everything was solid. Sanded all connectors and tightened them down. Hot start issue is gone and no start issue is gone for the time being. Who knows if it will show up again. If it is gone my guess is that it was a bad cable or connection somewhere. When I originally replace the ignition switch it didn’t fix it, only fixed when mini starter was installed. Thanks everyone.

Jur5664

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2023, 06:22:30 AM »
yes a bad connection, I did had that when stupidly put somme glue on the shims (3 as origine) between starter/block to facilate the mounting . There was not enough ground  :-?

Oldsschool79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2023, 04:44:56 AM »
Sounds like a voltage drop from high resistance in a wire. I would check all the ground points (main off battery to block, the braided cable from block to crash wall, radiator support inner kick panels). You can always have the correct voltage but not able to carry the amps. The fusible links at the starter should be checked as well.
Hope this helps

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2023, 04:44:56 AM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!