Author Topic: Advice on troubleshooting tail lights/rear marker lights?  (Read 1053 times)

chewie37

• Active Forum Member
Advice on troubleshooting tail lights/rear marker lights?
« on: February 13, 2022, 02:21:30 PM »
Did some searching but didn't find anything.  So...

New electrical gremlin to chase that's going to, yet again, detour me from going after the front seats.  But I digress...

Friend of mine pointed out yesterday that I have no tail lights/rear side marker lights.  However, everything else at the back of the car works as expected.  Turn signals are good, hazards good, brake lights good, reverse lights good.  No blown fuses, brake switch at the pedal seems to be adjusted ok. 

Kind of weird - I see topics here and elsewhere about no brake lights, but I've got the opposite.  Anyone ever run in to something like this before?  Any pointers? 

Thanks!

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Advice on troubleshooting tail lights/rear marker lights?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 04:52:14 PM »
When you say everything else works, how about plate lights? I assume not. Someone else may chime in with more help but I would thing to look either at the headlight switch and/or plug at the switch  or one of the two harness plugs between the switch and tail lights.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 05:11:25 PM »
The more I think about it too, you could probably pull the headlight switch and apply 12v to the appropriate terminal on the plug (brown wire for my 77) and see if you get lights. If so, switch would probably be the culprit. If not, gotta move down the line to those other plugs.
-Brian-

chewie37

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 07:27:20 PM »
Huh,  didn't even think about checking the plate light.  Will definitely look, as well as scoping out the headlight switch/connections there.  Thanks for the advice.

I'll try to actually circle back and update what I dig out, but it may the weekend before I get a chance to go after anything.

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2022, 09:53:53 PM »
The same switch also controls the front marker lights so if those are working I would not think its the switch. But if the license plate is also off I would think you have an open circuit somewhere in the trunk. I would unplug the main harness in the trunk and check with a meter if you are receiving voltage with the switch closed.

Regards, Jack

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2022, 09:53:53 PM »

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2022, 10:08:31 PM »
The same switch also controls the front marker lights so if those are working I would not think its the switch. But if the license plate is also off I would think you have an open circuit somewhere in the trunk. I would unplug the main harness in the trunk and check with a meter if you are receiving voltage with the switch closed.

Duh, after looking at my diagram again you’re right. My mistake.
-Brian-

chewie37

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2022, 05:53:06 PM »
I had a brain cell fire during work today.  I actually have a 12v car battery on a rolling cart that I use to field power a high powered compressor for my pre-charged pneumatic toys.  Adult pellet guns basically. 

After work broke out the trusty multimeter and also whipped up a functional, if bulky, 12v power supply.

Disconnected the trunk harness from the intermediate harness that goes from the trunk to the main body connector.  Used the multimeter directly on the isolated trunk harness and got good tone between the brown wire (tail lights) and the black wires (ground.)  Then supplied 12v from my clunky mobile battery on said wires.  Tail lights, plate lights and side marker lights fired right up.  So the trunk harness is  good to go.

Next step it is to check the intermediate run from the trunk to the body connector.  Little bit more involved since getting to the body connector side is a bit of a PITA.  I get to take the driver side front wheel and inner fender liner out.  Again...yay!  That's definitely a wait for the weekend event.

chewie37

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2022, 05:21:12 PM »
(Half)witted joke about pulling out the inner fender liner; know that's not necessary. 

In any case, found it.  At some point in its life, both the brown and orange wires were cut almost right at the body connector.  And then put back together with butt crimps.   Which have of course failed.

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2022, 06:47:08 PM »
Hey at least you found it though!
-Brian-

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2022, 07:40:37 PM »
Chewie,

Great find and good troubleshooting. Whoever attempted the repair certainly could have done better. At least solder and cover with heat shrink tubing. When I installed the EFI system in my car I shortened some of the wiring harness excessive length. I purchased a weather pack connector kit from Eastwood that not only provides high quality crimp’s and connections but also keeps,the moisture out.
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

chewie37

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2022, 03:45:03 PM »
Not a lot of room to solder in there - tight space and snausage fingers are less than ideal.  For now, used push-in spliceline connectors. 

Lighting's not great because the sun is behind me, but I have lights...you can see the plate lamps pretty well at least.

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2022, 11:50:36 AM »
That's some quality diagnosis.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

rkellerjr

• Oracle Forum Member
  • When you turn your car on does it return the favor
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2022, 12:23:16 PM »
Nice job!

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2022, 12:23:16 PM »
You can help support TAC!