Author Topic: Whats With Parts Re-Sellers  (Read 321 times)

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
Whats With Parts Re-Sellers
« on: February 20, 2024, 06:08:18 AM »
Just a thought/comment. This DOES NOT apply to anyone on this forum as I have had nothing but good experiences with guys on here. I will leave the names out to protect the innocent (me :lol:).

I have been looking for some misc. stuff to finish the motor on my car. I have the names of a couple of people that specialize in used car parts. Both of them I have bought from in the past with no problems. I sent out on several occasions recently looking for stuff across the board. Crickets. If I were in that business and did not have the part I would have at least sent a note back saying sorry, I dont have that right now.  I doubt I will ask either for anything again. Not that they are at a loss losing my $100 a year business but C'MON guys, be decent. Am I asking too much?
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

apfstg

• Active Forum Member
Re: Whats With Parts Re-Sellers
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2024, 08:29:56 AM »
The first person let go in a downturn in this economy is the return comment person …

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2024, 02:17:22 PM »
I would be curious to know who but I under you not wanting to name them. I think there are a few respectable ones out there but most seem to have little regard for their customer. Easier to tend to the customer that makes them the quickest money and move on.

I have to say though I thought the title of this post was with regard to a different kind of reseller. I don’t sell many parts but got some items for a good price I have listed in various places along with some spare parts I know I won’t use or need. I try to price fairly so I and a buyer will be happy. Don’t want to give things away but also not trying to get rich. I’ve found people don’t want to find a fairly priced item, they want a deal regardless of the cost or fairness.

I’ve also run across people who try to haggle my price down only to find out they themselves are parts sellers and likely will flip the part for a profit. I choose not to sell to those. I even sold two spare auto consoles I had with speaker holes cut into them. $75 each and one guy bought both. Now 6-8 months later he relisted them for $200 each.

I know it’s his business to do what he wants with whatever he buys but it certainly makes me think twice about giving anyone a deal or break.

Sorry for the tangent.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 02:48:18 PM »
On that note, I only give deals or free parts to guys I know are going to use them.  I have traded so may parts with Kerry now that I have totally lost track. We both had good parts and definitely worth money but I feel it has worked out. And, I've never met him... but, I feel the parts I have sent him are going to a good home and good cause like others I have donated parts to. But ya, it would really wind me up if I saw those parts listed for sale right after I gave them away. Now, a few years later after said project is done, then maybe.  Heck, I got a smoking deal on a trailer from a buddy and I offer it back to him and he didn't want it so I sold it and gave the extra money over what I paid back to him. Sorry for the derailment.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2024, 05:56:52 PM »
I didn’t have any of the vacuum controls you were looking for, but was feeling bad about not responding. Glad you said this doesn’t apply to TAC members. As these cars approach the half century mark it’s going to get tougher to find any used parts junk or not. Common courtesy says you should get some kind of response.

Honestly finding and buying used parts is a pretty risky endeavor anymore. I have a 455 engine I purchased about four years ago. I probably paid too much for it. I saw the engine run, no bad sounds and good oil pressure. Since I bought a Butler engine from another forum member, I should probably sell it, but am afraid to list it. Being 50 years old it surely need to rebuilt. I don’t want to risk my reputation, should the block have any issues. I am sure there are lots of good people out there providing a service with rare hard to find parts. On the other hand probably more than a few without a conscience.
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2024, 05:56:52 PM »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2024, 06:11:45 AM »
I am also not a parts seller but when I bought my TATA it was literally crammed full with enough stuff to trim out about 5 cars. I picked the best for my use and as time went along if someone was looking for something I let it go. Like mentioned Im not trying to get rich and if I can cover shipping Im happy. A lot of times I will have a part I need and will take the proceeds to buy that. So its kinda like im trading one part for another. I had a ton of window trim for some reason, I think Luke recently ended up with the best I had left. I even had some go to Europe. I have a couple of things on this forum for sale right now only because they are decent looking spares I will never need. Figured if someone is looking for it then here it is.

As to the ones mentioned in the original post, I believe they are a mom n pop type operation. No major corporations and probably someone that does it as a hobby, but then again maybe not. The other side of the equation are the ones that think their stuff is gold plated, although rare and hard to find, I have found if one is patient stuff will pop up. I do have to say I have had nothing but good experiences with Franks in California. I was a bit hesitant at first but after dealing with them they are curtious and their shipping is very quick.

And yes, a special thanks to Larry-5thTA and Luke. You guys have been a big part of my current restoration project. Much like Yeti was with my 77!
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2024, 07:00:52 AM »
Ya, you just reminded me the Yeti went out and cut a lock piller for me from one of his parts cars. That was my first experience with a forum member and probably why I continue to pay it forward sort to speak. He was more than fair on the price and I try to reciprocate that.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

kentucky yeti

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • located in western Ky
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2024, 08:55:07 AM »
So, did you ever get your parts wish list you had posted?
Mike (aka Yeti)

1977 Y82 W72 Auto
2015 F-150 Lariat 4x4 (twin turbo)
2016 Explorer Limited
2012 Mustang

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2024, 11:23:35 AM »
I did Mike. Got some from Franks and a guy on PY.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2024, 01:51:36 PM »
I don't get email any more asking for parts, very rarely, but that does wear you out after a while. 
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2024, 07:12:36 AM »
I do have to give credit where credit is due.  One of the said parties did get back to me, albeit a week or so too late as I had already found the part. He may have been out of town, vacation sick or who knows, so my apologies.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Meshuga T/A

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2024, 10:08:49 AM »
I use the 3 guys in the Detroit area for parts. 2 don’t do for us, the other is banned here.
Stay Shalomy

Let’s go Brandon

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2024, 10:08:49 AM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!