Author Topic: Electric Fan  (Read 298 times)

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
Electric Fan
« on: February 02, 2024, 09:52:52 AM »
I have an electric fan that I was running last year and took it off due to a cooling issue, that ended up being the thermostat (yeah I should have checked that first) not the fan.  So I want to put it back on.  I don't mind the stock fan itself but the shroud seems to hide most of the front of the motor.  My
question is for those running electric fans, what do you use to hold the radiator in place once you remove the stock shroud.
Dave

81 Trans Am

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Former brake guy
Re: Electric Fan
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2024, 07:47:02 PM »
I ran an electric with my LS3 conversion.  I had a custom top piece cut and broke up. 
The tube is a wire conduit.

With my L84 powered Lemans, I retained the shroud and used a Ford Ranger clutch fan.  I know you save a few horsies with the electric but I like the simplicity and reliability of the clutch type - plus it looked more "correct".

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2024, 08:45:56 PM »
I was about to say similar. Find an older shroud that is already cracked and busted, trim it right back so it just has the radiator surround area that can still mount up. But it's still an all or nothing modification, or an add-on to existing fan. Once you trim or remove the shroud there's no point having the clutch fan for cooling and then you will find that the extra electric fan isn't large enough to do the job. Of course, the other idea, which is perhaps what you meant, remove stock fan altogether, add beefy electric fan to replace but still mount stock radiator the same way. x2 also, stock look suits some, custom suits others, in between can look confusing like you don't have the correct parts to complete rather than being slightly custom!

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2024, 07:49:10 AM »
Thanks guys. I have thought of modifying the stock shroud to accomplish what I am thinking.
Dave

81 Trans Am

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2024, 06:43:29 PM »
What current shroud do you have? I forget what engine you’re running as well. 400?
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2024, 06:43:29 PM »

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2024, 08:55:52 AM »
Yes, I am running a 400 and have a stock shroud
Dave

81 Trans Am