Author Topic: T350 Shifting  (Read 800 times)

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
T350 Shifting
« on: September 21, 2023, 12:31:08 PM »
Anyone else have a teans that seems to go right through the gears.  Seems by 10mph I am already in 3rd.  Going through manually is fine and it kicksdown ok, or shifts good under hard acceleration but in "daily" driving is seems to go through the gears very quick
Dave

81 Trans Am

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
Re: T350 Shifting
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2023, 07:13:18 PM »
Could be a few things…… the governor gear springs could be too light or too stiff, the other issue may be the vacuum modulator . Many factors could also effect the the shifting, such as a shift kit, rear gear ratio and a non stock torque converter.
The good news is that the governor gear and vacuum modulator are externally located/accessible and fairly inexpensive and easy to get to.
If it was me , I would go to a local transmission shop….not the big chains ….and have then test drive it and come up with a solution …a lot of time saved and probably cheaper in the long run. I worked at a tranny shop back in high school 1985/86 to help pay off my blown tranny in my 79 TA..learned a lot…

Oldsschool79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2023, 03:54:16 AM »
I had the same issue with 3.41 gears and a B&M shift kit installed. I made adjustments to the modulator and it helped out. Only other option seems to be changing the governor springs.  I never changed the springs and stuck with the modulator adjustment.

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2023, 05:12:33 AM »
Thanks Guys.  I'll probably get it looked at
Dave

81 Trans Am

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2023, 09:13:15 AM »
About 45 years ago I knew these transmissions well and have probably rebuilt hundreds of them. But that was then. Now I sometimes struggle to remember what I had for lunch yesterday.

You didn't provide a lot of details about when the problem started. Was the car fine one day and the problem presented itself the next? Any recent work done before the problem presented itself? Sounds basic, but did you check the fluid level? This should be done with the car warmed up, sitting on level ground and the engine running and transmission in Park. What does the fluid look like? It should be a transparent Red and no burnt smell. Brown and sludgy is not good. Usually if the fluid is low the car may be hesitant to move and may not upshift. If the fluid is mucky it could cause valves to hang up and the transmission not shift properly.

As mentioned before the governor and vacuum modulator send signals to the valve body that it uses to determine shift points. The vacuum modulator provides throttle pressure and engine load input. The governor provides vehicle speed information. It is very unusual for a car to shift into high gear by 10 MPH. It is not likely a governor weight or spring problem, but a slight possibility the governor valve hung up.

As far as simple fixes maybe the modulator valve hung up or modulator could be bad. One thing worth trying is removing the vacuum from the modulator. The steel line from the modulator runs up the transmission to a T fitting on the rear of the carburetor. Disconnect the steel line from the T and plug it off at the carb end. If there is no vacuum going to the modulator it would essentially tell the valve body you have your foot to the floor and cause it to raise the shift points to a higher speed. If no change you could remove the modulator and see if the valve is stuck in the case (use a thin nose pliers). With the modulator removed turn the vacuum end towards the ground. If oil comes out the rubber diaphragm has ruptured, and the modulator is bad. 

One thing worth mentioning it is not easy to remove the governor with the transmission in the car. Especially on older cars the steel cover tends to corrode and stick to the aluminum transmission case. Sometimes it is necessary to remove the cross member and drop the rear of the transmission down a little. After the spring retaining clip has been removed you have to work arround the cover with a large straight blade screwdriver, not easy to do in a tight area.
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2023, 09:13:15 AM »

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2023, 11:33:07 AM »
About 45 years ago I knew these transmissions well and have probably rebuilt hundreds of them. But that was then. Now I sometimes struggle to remember what I had for lunch yesterday.

You didn't provide a lot of details about when the problem started. Was the car fine one day and the problem presented itself the next? Any recent work done before the problem presented itself? Sounds basic, but did you check the fluid level? This should be done with the car warmed up, sitting on level ground and the engine running and transmission in Park. What does the fluid look like? It should be a transparent Red and no burnt smell. Brown and sludgy is not good. Usually if the fluid is low the car may be hesitant to move and may not upshift. If the fluid is mucky it could cause valves to hang up and the transmission not shift properly. _ The trans was "rebuilt" and was empty when I got it.  I put all new fluid put in it, so I know fluid isn't an issue.  I did check it and it is fine. 

As mentioned before the governor and vacuum modulator send signals to the valve body that it uses to determine shift points. The vacuum modulator provides throttle pressure and engine load input. The governor provides vehicle speed information. It is very unusual for a car to shift into high gear by 10 MPH. It is not likely a governor weight or spring problem, but a slight possibility the governor valve hung up.

As far as simple fixes maybe the modulator valve hung up or modulator could be bad. One thing worth trying is removing the vacuum from the modulator. The steel line from the modulator runs up the transmission to a T fitting on the rear of the carburetor. Disconnect the steel line from the T and plug it off at the carb end. If there is no vacuum going to the modulator it would essentially tell the valve body you have your foot to the floor and cause it to raise the shift points to a higher speed. If no change you could remove the modulator and see if the valve is stuck in the case (use a thin nose pliers). With the modulator removed turn the vacuum end towards the ground. If oil comes out the rubber diaphragm has ruptured, and the modulator is bad. 

One thing worth mentioning it is not easy to remove the governor with the transmission in the car. Especially on older cars the steel cover tends to corrode and stick to the aluminum transmission case. Sometimes it is necessary to remove the cross member and drop the rear of the transmission down a little. After the spring retaining clip has been removed you have to work arround the cover with a large straight blade screwdriver, not easy to do in a tight area.

I found a reputable trans shop in the area, so I am just going to let them check it out
Dave

81 Trans Am

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2023, 12:41:28 PM »
Some good info there Larry! I didn't know you did transmission work at one point. Was that for fun or a profession?
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2023, 04:42:23 PM »
Some good info there Larry! I didn't know you did transmission work at one point. Was that for fun or a profession?

I joined a work study program in high school. The day I turned 16 I went to work at a shop that specialized in Transmission and Brake repair. Truth be told they did everything but mostly brakes and transmissions. The business was owned by two partners that were very sharp. One of them actually conducted classes on transmission repair. So after half a day in high school I would work in the repair shop. I got A's in auto mechanics, so I thought I knew something.  My very first day at the shop they had me pull a Cast Iron Powerglide out of an early 60's Chevy, what a rude awakening that was. One of the owners named Jerry was an outstanding teacher, I learned so much from him and he was so good he never had to explain anything twice. I went on to work for them full time the day after I graduated high school. By then I was pretty competent on GM Turbo 300's, 350's 400's and aluminum Powerglides. I also did Torquefilte 904's and 727's along with Ford C4's and C6's. It got to the point where a couple junior guys would remove and replace the transmissions and I would do the bench work.

Looking back it was a great time in my life and I became life long friends with the two owners. Sadly they are gone now but I am still in touch with Jerry's wife.
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2023, 05:54:34 AM »
So took the girl out and shifted the car manually instead of letting the trans do it, wow this car is so much more fun to drive!

Car shifts through the gears fine
Trans had a shift kit in it when I got it, and was left in
first to second above 2500 rpm trpically results in a tire chirp
second to third shifts great at about 3000 rpm
3 to 4000 rom in second is a rush
While I thought I was having carb issues, I think it was being bogged down by the early shift to third.  The issues I was having don't exist when shifting it manually and letting the rpms climb

So I have a new found love for the old girl and put her through her paces on some curvy back roads
Dave

81 Trans Am

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2023, 09:59:24 AM »
Good to hear, just curious if you are running a big cam? That would definitely effect the vacuum to the modulator and  the “auto” shifting of the trans.

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2023, 11:17:25 AM »
Good to hear, just curious if you are running a big cam? That would definitely effect the vacuum to the modulator and  the “auto” shifting of the trans.
. No it’s pretty mild. I don’t remember the specs but it’s not nuts
Dave

81 Trans Am

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2024, 08:58:43 AM »
One thing I did remember is that I did a "temp" repair and used a vac line from the modulator to the carb when the metal line got messed up.  I am getting a new metal linie but can't remember how it goes onto the trans, anyone got a photo?
Dave

81 Trans Am

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2024, 11:22:33 AM »
Should be very similar to this pic. I can’t remember if it has a clip that secures the line to the transmission filler tube or the wrap around strap the bolts to the bell housing.

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2024, 12:35:38 PM »
Thank you!
Dave

81 Trans Am

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2024, 12:35:38 PM »
You can help support TAC!