Author Topic: anyone diy there window tint?  (Read 496 times)

Vroom_vroom

• Active Forum Member
  • ka-kawwww
    • my build thread
anyone diy there window tint?
« on: June 30, 2022, 03:21:51 PM »
wondering if anyone has installed there own window tint on a second gen? found a few places on line that will die cut it and send it to you for a decent price but wondering how bad the rear window is?
'77 T/A Poncho 400-4spd.(upgrading failure)|kre-d port heads|scorpion 1.5rr|800 smi q-jet|tomahawk forged I beams|kb flat tops|OER 15x8 snowflakes|rpm intake&drop base|try-y headers|pypes kit|champion 4 core|rancho sways|Subframe connecters|A.P. hydro setup| prw flywheel| mcloud ss|
'19 Silverado 3500
'15 terrain

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: anyone diy there window tint?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 04:25:34 PM »
Literally just finished looking up info for this lol. I’m thinking about doing my side windows myself. I have louvers on my rear window so I’m not going to attempt that. Seems to me I found a video of a guy on YouTube that did his 79?
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 07:01:55 PM »
I did an S10 back in the day. Side windows not too bad if you use the slip gel or baby shampoo to help slide it around.  No way would I attempt the back window though....
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 08:21:02 AM »
Are there any local guys that tint?
I have done tinting a few times over the years for myself. The last time on my F150. It was an ok job, but I boofed a little on the pass side. I was the only that really noticed. From the outside it looked good though. When I got my new truck I wanted the windows tinted and found a local guy that did the 2 front sides for something just over $100. Job is perfect and looks like a factory tint. Money well spent IMO.
The flat sides arent too bad but I would never attempt the rear. It had been done to my car when I bought it (from FLA) and they used a few narrow strips to do the job.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 12:03:10 AM »
I haven't done mine, and would let someone else anyway. If I did it 99% perfect, then just means could be better!

Seriously, though, was wondering how much the fine glass scratches show up with a tint, and how much the existing felt guides rub on the tint over time. I have new glass to install, but was always curious. I'd only get a light tint, retain the classic looks.

I spoke to the guy years ago tinting my daily driver, mentioned the rear window of Firebird and suddenly he was having flashbacks to Nam...done a Camaro once, and it took him several attempts to get it right, possibly 2 pieces also, can't recall. And demister grids are worse. He was not keen at all to do another, said find a rear louver instead! I will have the rear glass out one day for paint work and rear shelf metal repairs, I'm sure tinting may be easier with glass out on a stand. Not sure if they'd still run it to the edges or leave a border for sealant direct to glass. That's for them to worry about.

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 12:03:10 AM »

Vroom_vroom

• Active Forum Member
  • ka-kawwww
    • my build thread
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 04:08:52 AM »
I have had several cars tinted out here over the years and have always asked about the bird. Most just don’t want to do it and give you a stupid price. The last shop I have used is seedy at best but if I’m waiting on a vehicle I was ok with it. He made a point to let me know I’d need to leave it with him…….. ehhh no. I have done a few of the windows on the house and was happy enough with it.

Need to get them tinted and ac so this car can stop sitting all summer. The pre cut ceramic in 15% was 130 bucks and I though that was a good deal ( it was 110 at the house yesterday) Have been watching you tube on shaping windows tint before instal. They lay it on the out side of the glass and strategically use the heat gun. Sounds like a pain but doable. Thought about re doing my tow pig while I was at it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 04:11:55 AM by Vroom_vroom »
'77 T/A Poncho 400-4spd.(upgrading failure)|kre-d port heads|scorpion 1.5rr|800 smi q-jet|tomahawk forged I beams|kb flat tops|OER 15x8 snowflakes|rpm intake&drop base|try-y headers|pypes kit|champion 4 core|rancho sways|Subframe connecters|A.P. hydro setup| prw flywheel| mcloud ss|
'19 Silverado 3500
'15 terrain

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 08:20:37 AM »
In your situation I too would be inclined to do it myself. Ive seen some guys on youtube that will knock out a couple windows in minutes but figure if you do enough you can get pretty quick at the job. I think heat is the trick as long as its not too hot. I had a louver on my 82 firebird (about an acre of back glass area) painted to match the car and I really liked the look. Like bell bottoms, leisure suits and velour, I think they have gone to the way of a 'fad' but the right one still looks good on the second gen and does the job. Good luck finding a decent one now though.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Vroom_vroom

• Active Forum Member
  • ka-kawwww
    • my build thread
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2022, 10:14:32 AM »
Lol was trolling on eBay looking just out of curiosity, someone has a cragar one with hardware for 2100. Bit steep.

I’ll have to post a new thread when I get to it but I’m gonna give it a go, i have waisted wayyyyy more on things I have botched so for the price I’ll take a chance. Good weekend project for when the wife is out of town.
'19 Silverado 3500
'15 terrain

TA301

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2022, 02:34:23 PM »
Tinting is one of those jobs best left to professionals. Even though the side windows are very much doable, what are you going to do with the rear glass? It is not worth saving $230 or so experimenting and ultimately failing. Time is money.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2022, 02:49:35 PM »
Yes, keep us posted when you do the job. I was at Hershey a couple of years ago and there was a like new 2nd gen louver still in the box. I dont think it was a Cragar, I believe they were one piece. This one was a 3 pc. Guy wanted something like $150 which I thought (at the time  :shock:) was too high for something I would never use. I wont let that deal slip by again!
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter