TAC Tech > Mechanical

Correct speedometer cable for 79 400 with Super T10 4 speed.

(1/5) > >>

Seven:
What is the correct length speedometer cable for a 79 400 4 speed?

b_hill_86:
Exact length? Not positive but I believe 80” is available and will work. I want to say the cruise version of the lower cable is 60-something inches.

wheels78ta:
GM #88959477 replaces GM #25033161.  I haven't found any measurements for #88959477 so not sure about the length.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166224599245?autorefresh=true

nUcLeArEnVoY:
Many '79 400 4-Speeds were equipped with a two-piece speedo cable, with a Stewart Warner brand reducer gear in between them. That's how mine is.

I do know that the lower cable that goes from the trans to one side of the reducer is around 17" or so, and the part number is 6480244. I grabbed a NOS AC one when I had to replace my speedo cables.

The upper cable that goes from the other side of the reducer to the speedo itself, I forget the GM part number but the Pioneer CA-3009 is a direct replacement.

I can check to see the type of reducer I have as well, if you like.

Seven:
I'm finishing up an engine out mechanical refresh on the front half of the car.  It has a two piece cable in it, however its much too long.  There's a big loop in it and the gauge bounces at low speed.  I'd definitely like to replace both the upper and lower portions as long as I'm this far into it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version