Author Topic: Taking on a big job 😳  (Read 870 times)

Mac

• Active Forum Member
Taking on a big job 😳
« on: March 06, 2022, 06:05:33 PM »
I’m pretty mechanically inclined but never did front end work. I have all the right tools, thanks to my Dad who keep every tool he had when he owned his repair shop and left them to me. My plan, and not that my TA needs everything, but I’m rebuilding the front steering and suspension. I bought all the parts, and plan on doing one side at a time, refinishing all the parts (control arm, coil spring etc. before putting it all back together.

I started today, pulled the sway bar off and blasted it fresh coat of satin black. Next step drivers side remove upper and lower control arms and coil spring. Replace ball joints, blast and paint.

Before I get deeper into all this is there any tips anyone has or is there something I should know or do?

Thank you TAC members

The Never Ending Punch List!

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
Re: Taking on a big job 😳
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 10:32:38 PM »
I think you'll find it easier than expected. Remember to keep track of the number and location of any alignment shims so you can reassemble back to the previous setup.

If I recall correctly with my rebuild there was some sleuthing involved with finding the right control arm bushings. Plus most are made oversized under the assumption that your control arms are stretched from previous rebuilds. I went through several brands to find a set that were the least oversized and they were still  a very tight fit.

Also using this spring compressor tool will make your life so much easier. Pricey but worth every penny IMHO.
https://www.amazon.com/OTC-7045B-Front-Spring-Compressor/dp/B000GTJ5I8/ref=mp_s_a_1_45?crid=WR2N205TPFS2&keywords=coil+spring+compressor+tool&qid=1646627418&sprefix=coil+spring%2Caps%2C147&sr=8-45
Gene

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 12:13:12 PM »
I agree, it’s not a horrible job. Just have to be methodical especially when dealing with the springs. I used some large cable, kind of like a large bike lock, to wrap around the springs and frame should they decide to pop out on their own. And obviously don’t stand in front of them. But it wasn’t bad overall. I used a similar but cheaper spring compressor but I suspect the one Jack posted would work better.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

Mac

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 12:14:56 PM »
I think you'll find it easier than expected. Remember to keep track of the number and location of any alignment shims so you can reassemble back to the previous setup.

If I recall correctly with my rebuild there was some sleuthing involved with finding the right control arm bushings. Plus most are made oversized under the assumption that your control arms are stretched from previous rebuilds. I went through several brands to find a set that were the least oversized and they were still  a very tight fit.

Also using this spring compressor tool will make your life so much easier. Pricey but worth every penny IMHO.
https://www.amazon.com/OTC-7045B-Front-Spring-Compressor/dp/B000GTJ5I8/ref=mp_s_a_1_45?crid=WR2N205TPFS2&keywords=coil+spring+compressor+tool&qid=1646627418&sprefix=coil+spring%2Caps%2C147&sr=8-45

This is the spring compressor I bought. Thank you for the great advice.

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Former brake guy
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2022, 10:10:11 PM »
I would carefully examine the parts, ie ball joints, center link before replacing.  If maintained well they last much better than the offshore crap we see.

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2022, 10:10:11 PM »

Mac

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2022, 03:22:12 PM »
One side done, just have to torque the control arms once the weight of the car is on them. It wasn’t  easy getting the new control arm bushing in, and dealing with the compressed spring, yikes. All and all it went pretty smooth, took my time.

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2022, 08:05:40 PM »
Looks nice and clean, car and workspace, makes it a pleasure to work on a car.

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2022, 08:05:40 PM »
You can help support TAC!