TAC Tech > Interior

Rear armrest opening cover plates ?

<< < (5/6) > >>

Wallington:
Thanks Willie. The rear pressings also differ ever so slightly between early and midyears. A few angles look like the covers plates may also differ but not clear enough to be sure. The vague photos I've seen seem to match roughly the change in interior plastic armrest panels change, so 70-72 and 72-up, with cover plates used until perhaps 1975.

The guy I got these plates off thought they were off a 75 or 76, but they are also the earlier red primer of 70-73 or so, not the brown shade so that guess is not one to base much on. I haven't seen recent pics of other years to see which still used them or had holes or not.

Anyway, some newer pics just because. Guys are bored with the topic so this is perhaps more to do with going off photos to match red primer.

This is the plates as removed, interior side showing. Black brush-on goo for sticking of wheelarch insulation next to it.

Firebird 70-75 rear interior armrest cover plates unwashed (2) by Ben, on Flickr

As removed, inside body faces, grey primer/blue paint overspray from door jamb opening areas. The staining is likely from the interior side seeping through, rather than these being sealed to body.

Firebird 70-75 rear interior armrest cover plates unwashed (1) by Ben, on Flickr

Cleaned-up and using garage lighting only, no flash.

Firebird 70-75 rear interior armrest cover plates washed (1) by Ben, on Flickr

Same again but using flash inside house. Much more of an orange look that is not accurate.

Firebird 70-75 rear interior cover plates washed flash lighting (1) by Ben, on Flickr

Scanned pic using printer scanner, and using the two best sides for recording the colour or red primer.

Firebird rear interior armrest panel covers 70-75 red primer scanner by Ben, on Flickr

I considered even sending one off to paint shop to get some primer matched for future use, but mine uses the later brown primer, nor is it worthy of even touching up in this way so won't bother now.

Of interest also is that the plates are completely covered both sides evenly. So being an early red primer, it is Norwood dip and the plates must have been only loosely attached by the screws a few threads for complete coverage and only marks from clamping over the paint, not bare areas where sealed onto body when screwed tightly. Van Nuys were still spraying grey primer and black overcoat during these years before swapping to the red-brown primer for roughly 74-78.

FormTA:

It's interesting but I bet even a concourse restoration could skip installing those and no one should be the wiser.  The most interesting thing I read today was about the dipping of the part in primer in California vs spraying based on the year. Don't get me wrong I also enjoyed hearing about the cover plates but the fact you knew about the dip vs spay years and a certain plant. Just wow!

FormTA:

Sorry if that came across wrong.  That was supposed to be a compliment.

roadking77:
I find it interesting and agree with you Luke on the restoration part. I wonder (and assume)if it was done on camaros as well. I was at the camaro nationals last year and they have a ultimate tier award for restoration. Kinda like the bloomington gold for vettes (i think its called something like that). One has to submit their car in advance as they only have time to judge/inspect a small percentage of the cars at the show. The entire process takes several hours per car. They have a lift to put the car on, and they check numbers on everything for correctness. I would like to see them remove the trim and look for the cover, LOL.

Never been to the T/A nationals so I dont know if they do inspections to this level as well.

rkellerjr:
Looking at some pics of when I did my interior, I don't see those on my '75

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version