TAC Tech > Mechanical

New gears hum

<< < (2/3) > >>

rkellerjr:
Mine had a hum and I put some ... elephant something or other in it and it stopped. maybe someone else knows what I'm talking about, this was many years ago.

Oldsschool79:
I do remember the gear oil being called elephant or animal , well you know. It was used in heavy truck applications.
Looked like one step away from grease.

tinpusher:
Did you check the condition of the spider gears in the posi unit…. I just went through all of this after getting a pro to set up the rear end , the posi had a great deal of slop and wear. We ended up replacing it with a Yukon posi and it’s nice and quiet. I was just going to replace the spider gears, but got a great deal on a new Yukon differential on Amazon. It was only $288 delivered. I was going to buy a second one , but the next day the jumped in price.

Yukon Gear & Axle (YDGGM8.5-3-28-1) Duragrip Differential for GM 8.5 with 28 Spline Axle
Sold by: Amazon.com Services, Inc
Return eligible through Feb 4, 2024

nas t eh:
I just had new AAM 3.42 and Eaton Truetrack installed in my 8.5 rear.
The shop said the better quality gears are less prone to noise but that all gears need to be babied for the first bunch of trips or up to 1000miles.

Short trips, lower speeds, no hard acceleration or the heat will build up and cause noise.I am almost though the break in period on mine and at that point, they want it back in the shop for gear oil change

wheels78ta:

--- Quote from: Oldsschool79 on January 17, 2024, 01:25:36 PM ---The backlash was .010
--- End quote ---

But what is the tolerance for the backlash.  .010 seems high.  Shouldn't it be in the .030-.080 range?

And noise on deceleration is usually the pinion being too deep.

Did you have any load on the axle when checking the pattern?

Seems like it could be a couple of small things to adjust to get the humming gone.

In the past.....Richmond gears were known to be noisy but they have improved over the years from what I've read.

I've re-geared axles before and never any noise.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version